Republic of Rome forum game II

We should try to get any war we fight this year to +13, to get around the ally defections and the evil omens.

With one 6 war and one 5 war, that would require 37 total strength.

We have 22 total legion strength and a maximum of 14 Dictator/MH/Consul strength, so we could get there by constructing as few as one new legion. Or we could give the military heroes a rest, and construct a few new legions.

I definitiely want to do Illyria this year, to avoid the drought and get the province ASAP. If we really want to avoid Dictator, we can limit it to Illyria but while the Punic wars are festering I think we should deal with any “easy” wars ASAP.

Population

Still the senate can find no answer to Carthage, and Rome is in a restive and fearful mood. The recent rationing of grain hasn’t helped the mood either.

Lucius Aemilius Paullus Macedonicus is extremely popular though; the people eagerly await his speech after the excitement of the last two years. Unfortunately, Aemilius’ speech is uninspired and offers none of the confidence of victory the populace craves. Many leave partway through in disappointment.

State of the Republic

Unrest starts at 0 and goes to 3 thanks to two unprosecuted wars and a drought.
Handily the dictator’s victory has given him 6 popularity, so the net modifier is +2, after allowing for evil omens.
The dice rolled 8, for a net result of 10 => +1 unrest.

I’m inclined to try to tackle both. We’re going to have to get lucky anyway.

Aemilius has a fear of public speaking.

Maybe we use Macedonicus on Macedon because of his special power, and then a D / MH combo for Illyria?

Gah, forgot to put Rome in order again at the end of the forum phase.

The tax farmer concessions destroyed this year are from Papirius and Furius. Neither is immediately repaired.

The Julius family does not return to prominence.
Philip V remains alive.

Senate

The floor is yours, @Knightsaber.

The old agreement to switch everyone out each year for Consul seats is going to bite us.

I suppose we nominate Aelius of the Populares and Terentius of the Optimates as Consuls.

I’ll hold off voting myself until/unless someone has a better idea.

@CF_Kane @scottagibson @antlers

Macedon is sulking and not available to fight this year.

Did I forget to bring him back to Rome?

Macedon, not Macedonicus. I mean there’s no war to fight in Macedon.

Oh, yeah, we beat them up.

Yeah, the new one is in Syria. Oops.

Edit: Consul choices depend on what we want to do.

I nominated based strictly on the standing agreement of rotation.

Maybe @CF_Kane would be amenable to giving up the consul slot and have Aelius as Dictator instead. I like Terentius as Rome consul (unless he wants to be Pontifex again). Fabius should be MH, I think. Cornelius would make a fine Field Consul but there are other choices if we are willing to give up a Mil point (or 2). We also should think about a Pontifex Maximus; Valerius is up for the job.

Also, any minor prosecutions this year?

Terentius as Rome Consul works; he’s not very useful otherwise, and he could use the influence restoration.

I am amenable to having Aelius be dictator. Regular consular rotation takes a back seat to survival of the state.

Edit: Nevermind. One person vote yes to this so we can shut it down and re-nominate.

Oh it doesn’t matter, I’d keep HRAO for now anyway.

Shepherds vote No.