Republic of Rome forum game

That ruleset is fine by me.

That’s fine with me, yes

Cool, just a vote from @Kolbex when he feels ready to opine, and the final imprimatur from @rho21 and that is one task down.

I will go with whatever those who have played before want, since I won’t really know how they’ll affect the game until after I’ve played.

Oh, incidentally, I noticed that although the filename linked for the rules upthread says 1.04, the actual PDF says 1.02 inside. Furthermore, there appears to be a version 1.06 available on BGG, which h I downloaded. No idea what the differences are.

They seem to merely provide a lot of cross-walking with advanced rules and lots of clarifications. Which is freaking fantastic. @rho21 these may be worth using as the official copy.

The explainer thread on BGG is outstanding, at least for those who haven’t played before. A good, clear, simple explanation of the actual play of the game, with some hints for new players.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/498101/republic-rome-rules-explained-valley-games-edition

Well I’ve played before…but I sure am bookmarking that.

Edit: @scottagibson as a former player, this is a must-read and must-bookmark for anyone new to the game,and anyone experienced with the game. This is fantastic! Good find, and thanks.

My pleasure, I tripped over it looking for the latest version of the rules.

Wow, thanks for this, will read today.

Ok, I finished that last night, and although I will continue to read the rules I think I’m ready to begin. How exactly will this work, procedurally?

I’m ready too. I’m sure I’ll stumble along, but I don’t think it will get more clear until I see it playing out.

Also, too, I’m excited to play, this looks interesting and fun!

OK, I’ll get things set up for the trial run when I get home in a few hours.

Trial Run

Randomised player order:
@Panzeh - @CraigM - @Kolbex - @scottagibson - @Navaronegun - @Juan_Raigada

Game Setup

Rome
Treasury 100
Unrest 0
Active Legions 4

Curia
Inactive Wars:

Name Series Fleet Battle Fleet Support Army Battle Disaster Standoff Spoils Special
1st Punic War 1 of 3 (2) 10 5 10 13 11/14 35 Creates Sicilia & Corsica and Sardinia

Players
Panzeh:

Nomen ID Popularity Influence Military Oratory Loyalty Knights Money Offices Concessions
Claudius 5 0 4 (4) 2 3 7 0 0
Junius 10 0 8 (3) 1 2 8 0 0 Rome Consul, Prior Consul
Acilius [12] 0 3 (3) 2 2 7 0 0

CraigM:

Nomen ID Popularity Influence Military Oratory Loyalty Knights Money Offices Concessions
Fulvius [7] 0 4 (4) 2 2 8 0 0
Aurelius 9 0 3 (3) 2 3 7 0 0
Aemilius [19] 0 1 (1) 4 2 8 0 0

Kolbex:

Cornelius [1] 0 5 (5) 4 3 9 0 0
Valerius 3 0 5 (5) 1 2 10 0 0
Julius [4] 0 4 (4) 4 3 9 0 0

scottagibson:

Furius 8 0 3 (3) 3 3 8 0 0
Flaminius 13 0 3 (3) 4 2 6 0 0
Calpurnicus 16 0 2 (2) 1 2 9 0 0

Navaronegun:

Manlius 6 0 4 (4) 3 2 7 0 0
Plautius 17 0 2 (2) 2 1 6 0 0
Quinctius [18] 0 1 (1) 3 2 6 0 0

Juan_Raigada:

Fabius [2] 0 5 (5) 4 2 9 0 0
Papirius 11 0 3 (3) 1 2 6 0 0
Aelius 14 0 2 (2) 3 4 7 0 0

Initial hands will be dealt in just a moment (3 cards each).

Each player must now pick a faction leader, then may play any statesmen or concession cards they hold if desired. Trading is not allowed at this point. Also feel free to choose a name for your faction if you wish.

In order established above, @rho21?

As my name is Patrick, we shall be the Traditional Patrician Faction.

Claudius will be my Faction Leader, and they will also be given the Tax Farmer 4 concession.

My faction leader is Flaminius, and we shall be the New Men faction.

The technical ordering is first each player chooses a faction leader in player order starting with the HRAO (who happens to be first player in the order given above). After that, each player may choose to play cards, again in player order starting with the HRAO.

In practice I’m not expecting anyone to care. If you do, just wait until the players before you have acted, I guess. (You can always leave orders with me if you go to bed, or whatever.)

It’s worth noting that this ordering means you can’t play a statesman card and also make him your faction leader (unless you already have the family card).

Gotcha, I’ll wait. I am just slowing it down and asking because…it’s the deliberately slow first turn for just this purpose. ;)

And boy did I get screwed on the family cards…

Ah, got it. I’ll wait my turn, sorry.

No need, really. It’s unlikely anyone’s decisions will be changed by what anyone else is doing for this step.