Republic of Rome forum game

No big deal. I’m good with waiting a couple days.

Yes, @Kolbex, take whatever time you need.

Works for me. I defer to those who have played before.

@Panzeh and @Juan_Raigada are you good with that consensus?

That ruleset is fine by me.

That’s fine with me, yes

Cool, just a vote from @Kolbex when he feels ready to opine, and the final imprimatur from @rho21 and that is one task down.

I will go with whatever those who have played before want, since I won’t really know how they’ll affect the game until after I’ve played.

Oh, incidentally, I noticed that although the filename linked for the rules upthread says 1.04, the actual PDF says 1.02 inside. Furthermore, there appears to be a version 1.06 available on BGG, which h I downloaded. No idea what the differences are.

They seem to merely provide a lot of cross-walking with advanced rules and lots of clarifications. Which is freaking fantastic. @rho21 these may be worth using as the official copy.

The explainer thread on BGG is outstanding, at least for those who haven’t played before. A good, clear, simple explanation of the actual play of the game, with some hints for new players.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/498101/republic-rome-rules-explained-valley-games-edition

Well I’ve played before…but I sure am bookmarking that.

Edit: @scottagibson as a former player, this is a must-read and must-bookmark for anyone new to the game,and anyone experienced with the game. This is fantastic! Good find, and thanks.

My pleasure, I tripped over it looking for the latest version of the rules.

Wow, thanks for this, will read today.

Ok, I finished that last night, and although I will continue to read the rules I think I’m ready to begin. How exactly will this work, procedurally?

I’m ready too. I’m sure I’ll stumble along, but I don’t think it will get more clear until I see it playing out.

Also, too, I’m excited to play, this looks interesting and fun!

OK, I’ll get things set up for the trial run when I get home in a few hours.

Trial Run

Randomised player order:
@Panzeh - @CraigM - @Kolbex - @scottagibson - @Navaronegun - @Juan_Raigada

Game Setup

Rome
Treasury 100
Unrest 0
Active Legions 4

Curia
Inactive Wars:

Name Series Fleet Battle Fleet Support Army Battle Disaster Standoff Spoils Special
1st Punic War 1 of 3 (2) 10 5 10 13 11/14 35 Creates Sicilia & Corsica and Sardinia

Players
Panzeh:

Nomen ID Popularity Influence Military Oratory Loyalty Knights Money Offices Concessions
Claudius 5 0 4 (4) 2 3 7 0 0
Junius 10 0 8 (3) 1 2 8 0 0 Rome Consul, Prior Consul
Acilius [12] 0 3 (3) 2 2 7 0 0

CraigM:

Nomen ID Popularity Influence Military Oratory Loyalty Knights Money Offices Concessions
Fulvius [7] 0 4 (4) 2 2 8 0 0
Aurelius 9 0 3 (3) 2 3 7 0 0
Aemilius [19] 0 1 (1) 4 2 8 0 0

Kolbex:

Cornelius [1] 0 5 (5) 4 3 9 0 0
Valerius 3 0 5 (5) 1 2 10 0 0
Julius [4] 0 4 (4) 4 3 9 0 0

scottagibson:

Furius 8 0 3 (3) 3 3 8 0 0
Flaminius 13 0 3 (3) 4 2 6 0 0
Calpurnicus 16 0 2 (2) 1 2 9 0 0

Navaronegun:

Manlius 6 0 4 (4) 3 2 7 0 0
Plautius 17 0 2 (2) 2 1 6 0 0
Quinctius [18] 0 1 (1) 3 2 6 0 0

Juan_Raigada:

Fabius [2] 0 5 (5) 4 2 9 0 0
Papirius 11 0 3 (3) 1 2 6 0 0
Aelius 14 0 2 (2) 3 4 7 0 0

Initial hands will be dealt in just a moment (3 cards each).

Each player must now pick a faction leader, then may play any statesmen or concession cards they hold if desired. Trading is not allowed at this point. Also feel free to choose a name for your faction if you wish.

In order established above, @rho21?

As my name is Patrick, we shall be the Traditional Patrician Faction.

Claudius will be my Faction Leader, and they will also be given the Tax Farmer 4 concession.

My faction leader is Flaminius, and we shall be the New Men faction.