Republic of Rome forum game

Kolbexarii again vote yes and should have looked around the curia a bit more first, it seems.

This blatant corruption by the Virtus Romana faction will not be stood for- it is the censor’s job to root out such corruption.

Out of character:

I’m enjoying this so much I am going to re-listen to Mike Duncan’s podcast.

I veto this nomination

@Juan_Raigada If you can see your way to nominating a suitable candidate, you will be rewarded next round.

Are these vetos being accomplished through Tribune cards or some other means?

Peanut gallery: I’m loving this back-and-forth, you’re going to force me to read the rules to understand what’s going on. Well done.

Ahem…

It’s time to speak openly in front of this assembly of peers.

@Navaronegun is right. There is a plot to wrestle control of the Senate away from the will of the majority and into the hands of a couple powerful factions.

I know this because, my friends, I was part to this cabal. I have been approached by the New Men and the Panzeh to be part of a Triumvirate. Taht most despicable of regimes, with not one king, but three!

And I accepted, because it will not do, and the only way to make sure it wouldn’t was to undermine it from it’s core.

I now renounce that shadowy pact, and while my honor and my word are sullied, they are so to preserve and uphold a greater honor, the honor of the Republic and of this chamber.

I can only hope and plead for mercy and support against the ire of Junius, the Censor to come, for all the protection I will have against his vengeance for this honourable treason I’ve committed is the protection of you who I risked everything to protect.

That said, we will take a recess before I decide who will be appointed as Pontifex Maximus.

And death to the kings!

Yes, Vetos (and propsals by anoyone other than the HRAO) are only done via Tribune cards (and some special abilities of specific statesman cards).

And now the truth is laid bare! We are content in merely serving Rome by uncovering and undoing such nonsense by @Panzeh and @scottagibson!

Untrustworthy! And transparent and unwise during the early republic. All resources and players are needed to see off the wars and tribulations of the Early Republic and most of the Middle Republic decks. This falderol only makes any sense in Late Republic, not game beginning.

Shame, @Panzeh!

It is without a doubt a wonder that the Virtus Romana faction would believe such a fanciful plot hook, but one can only believe such sycophancy would be without a doubt self-serving, particularly with respect to their alliance with the Rex Antiquis faction.

All corruption will be revealed in due time, the true corruption.

Visual aid:

‘Kings’ who elect you consul, but never mind. As for corruption, my books are clean. Yours?

The Rex Antiquis name is both a call back to the power and glory of our ancestor Numa Pompillus, but also a sober reminder that the days of kings belong in the past.

I seek no censure for those who revoke such glories, but rather those who cling to them.

Tribune cards. Sorry, I thought that would be clear.

Clear as mud, like everything else.

I have read said rules, and do not overestimate my understanding!

The rules are inscrutable, but it’s not so complicated in practice. We all got dealt three cards to start. Some of the cards are concessions we can play to make money, some are Senators that have to go into the Forum so we fight over them, and some are cards we can hold and play later. One card is the Tribune of the Plebs card, which lets you veto legislation. There were three played earlier to stop the election of proposed consuls, and I’ve played two myself to stop the election of a Pontifex Maximus. If you look at my status, you’ll see I didn’t get any concessions. Tribunes are what I got instead.

I can confirm that two tribunes have been subtracted from scottagibson’s hand.

The Pontifex Maximus also gets a free tribune per turn (with minor restrictions), once we finally elect one. :)

Ok, so now is perhaps time for some open discussion.

Given‘ that now we have a clearer understanding of where alliances lie. Who should be nominated for Pontifex Maximus as to hinder the functioning of the Senate the least?

I’ll listen.

And, please, no secret correspondence now.

From the gallery

Great game guys. Surprised to see a triumvirate forming up so quickly, it must be the Internet allowing the wheeling and dealing.

Looking forward to see the wars coming up, good luck with those rolls!