Republic of Rome forum game

A king is a king. A triumvirate is a triumvirate. I can assure you that someone is getting the short end of the stick. Discussing it here, openly, simply shows the complicit nature of the Virtus Romana faction in it.

Btw, this game is really good at simulating Roman power struggles.

A triumvirate is three kings.

So far I’m managing to agree with 4 of the 6 factions on deals, so is not so much an imposition as a common agreement on how to proceed forward.

You could join the constructive discussion or keep throwing baseless acusations around.

@Kolbex I hearby propose a public agreement: If you and I are elected Consul next year, I agree that I will be the Rome Consul, and you agree that you will be the Field Consul.

Again, you can agree to this, but it is specifically not enforceable by the rules.

Thre’s absolutely nothing in any of these deals that does Rome or my faction any real benefit that would not have been my own doing. And there are three people getting offices and one going along. Generally, extending an olive branch involves offering something.

All four factions are getting offices, assuming we all 4 agree to the latest agreement proposal:

Pontifex Maximus > Rex Antiquis
Consul > Virtus Romana
Consul > Kolbexarii
Censor > Eastern Grain Company

No, extending an olive branch allows for negotiations to share stuff to begin. Refusing the branch takes us to where we are now.

You guys let your animosity get the best of you, and you pushed @scottagibson into an uncomfortable situation.

Also yes, yes it is.

Understood. He wants the Field and I don’t. Just being transparent.

I will say this: if the deal is approved and I retain the Censorship, I will not prosecute.

Consider this added to the above binding deal.

How’s that for an olive branch @Panzeh ?

It’s appreciated, but i’m sure you hardly need to now. It seems you four have it in hand.

It’s not about getting the votes (although I need the deal to be agreed to to rescind the Consulship), it’s about a signal of good faith.

I am not keeping a consulship I could keep (if the deal goes through).

I am not prosecuting when I could.

I am sharing as broadly as possible the offices.

How are those the doings of a tyrant?

Stop fighting, join the constructive conversation (without plotting in the shadows, please) and you can be part of this glorious Republic.

Yes, plenty of time for plotting when (if?) the Late Republic rolls around.

Agree. This game doesn’t work like that. It is a Looooong game. Your best Senator could die the next turn. And what if Rome was counting on that Senator to save the day in a crisis? We may be counting on a rival to stave off disaster. That’s how the game works. Hence the need to “spread it out” and have open government in the early and middle going. Backroom cabals early = Rome falls. Rookie mistake.

@Kolbex, do you sign on the deal?

yes

We are also waiting on @CraigM’s votes on the land bill, I think. But since he’s bound by agreement I think it’s safe to implement it, @rho21.

And if @CraigM agrees to the second deal (not the war deal, that’s forgotten, the Censor and consulship deal) we might be done for the year.

Thank Jupiter, or “Jupe” as I like to call him. I am looking forward to some R&R (Rome and Republicanism) at the latifundium.

I apologize, the estates had a rather tricky situation. My neighbors farm caught fire and threatened to bring down the entire region. This was compounded by the feast of Saturnalia and the ill omens it would be to decline to raise a glass with your fellows when offered.

So I’m that spirit of festivities and friendship I will officially support the proposed actions.