Resident Evil 7

So, I may be in the minority here, but everything I’ve been able to find about RE7 underwhelms me. It sounds like AAA budget to create an indie horror exploration game. And then there’s the demo, “the beginning hour,” which involved fifteen minutes of walking through a dark house followed by a predictable jump scare. The director has gone on record saying none of the existing Resident Evil characters play a significant role, and the game contains “resident evil elements,” like health herbs.

I know people had problems with RE6. For better or worse, that’s the identity the series has taken on. Horror is not a franchise, it’s a genre. And really, I’m not seeing anything compelling from RE7 as a standalone game.

But that’s me. Opinions?

I finally caught up on last week’s Giant Bombcast and it didn’t sound like anyone there was impressed with what was shown there, either, unfortunately. I liked 4 well enough, but skipped 5 and 6 for a variety of “not a great game” related reasons, so I’m sorry to hear the franchise continues to struggle.

I didn’t want PT, i wanted resident evil 7. I was disappointed with the demo.

I loved 6 personally. It was the best co op game i’ve ever played. It also showed that they were learning from the rest of the world in making the controls better.

I challenge anyone to play the demo to RE7 and then think of one thing that makes them think of resident evil.

Resident Evil has always been an action game with a cheesy plot and silly monsters and I don’t see how RE7 fits into this at all.

It also showed that they were learning from the rest of the world in making the controls better.

This. It’s among the best combinations of firearms and melee I can think of, and what I expected from character movement in Resident Evil 5. The overall value was also great. 30+ hours of solid co-op campaign (Ada’s campaign was meh, in my opinion), and Mercenaries is a game in and of itself.

I’ve always felt that, as good as a game it was, RE4 strayed from what I thought was Resident Evil: slow & methodical survival horror. RE5 & 6 doubled down on the action in a bad way so I’m glad they are trying something different.

A couple of updates:

And

Resident Evil 7 will be an Xbox One Play Anywhere game. Buy the Xbox One or Windows 10 Store version and you’ll be able to play it both platforms, assuming you have the hardware.

This does not apply to the Steam-specific version of the game.

Reviews are coming in and this might be a winner.

A little bit Alien Isolation and a lot of Resident Evil mixed together.

Reviews? Already? I didn’t get the impression that this was coming out until this fall or something. I guess it must be coming out really soon?

Tomorrow in fact.

Actually look like it might be even earlier. Steam shows it unlocking tonight at around 11pm CST.

Good news, everybody! Capcom wants us all to know that two bits of DLC are almost ready to go already!

[quote]
These packs are available in the Deluxe Edition version of the game as well as the Season Pass, and can also be purchased separately. The first pack, Banned Footage Vol. 1, will be available on PS4 starting on January 31st, and on all other platforms February 21st, for $9.99. This includes two pieces of “Banned Footage” as well as a new mode:

Bedroom: Figure out how to escape from a locked room - but don’t let Marguerite Baker know you’ve been out of bed.

Nightmare: Fend off waves of enemies and survive until morning.

Extra Mode - Ethan Must Die: A tough-as-nails mode separate from the tapes and story of the main game. (Does not support PSVR)

In addition, a second pack, Banned Footage Vol. 2, will be available on PS4 starting February 14th, and on all other platforms starting February 21st, for $14.99. This pack includes two more tape scenarios and a new mode:

21: Gamble life and limb in a deadly game run by Lucas Baker.

Daughters: See what the Baker family was like before the tragic events of Resident Evil 7 biohazard.

Extra Mode - Jack’s 55th Birthday: Race against the clock and feed Jack tons of food in this comical extra game mode separate from the tapes and story of the main game. (Does not support PSVR)[/quote]

People get upset about this kind of thing, but they also forget that it takes about three to four months from completion of a game for it to pass cert and make it to store shelves. Moreover, the last month or two before that are almost certainly done with a smaller team to reduce bug churn.

Meaning: DLC, a product with no RTM time and reduced cert time, can certainly be about ready to go without having impacted or been cut from the primary product.

God, I’m way too poor to want this game. I should set up a GoFundMe.

I’m not interested in your logical considered response sir. Rawr! Internet rage!

I still wish this was RE5-2. RE5,was one of my favorite games of last gen. So much so that I almost broke my “don’t buy old ass up rezed ports on modern consoles” rule for it. Oh well.

RE5 was the bestest, primarily because of couch co-op. My wife and I had a blast with that one, especially mastering Mercenaries mode.

Yeah. I played virtually all of RE5 coop (albeit online) and it was really one of the coop greats.

This game looks so good and scary. Finally a triple a first person horror game that got some investment. Outlast was close, but this looks like the real deal. Im just wondering on replayablity.

oh i forgot, Alien Isolation was pretty good too. I might just get Evil Within, I still need to catch up on some other horror games I have yet to play… or maybe I’m just too scared to play RE7… such a wuss.