Rick and Morty

Man, has this series gone to dark, effed up places. :D

The first episode wasn’t a particularly strong start of season, just a very normal (trending to mediocre) episode. Actually, I had forgotten about the new voices, so I guess they are good enough?

Yeah, they’re fine. Rick sounds less like an asshole, which I prefer. I thought the most notable change was Mr. Poopy Butthole’s voice, which isn’t as funny, but that character’s sort of been run into the ground anyway.

Good first episode. Kind of an interesting decision to base the whole first episode around Mr. PB, given that his voice sounds the most different, although thinking about it now, I have to imagine a bunch of this season was already finished when all the Roiland business went down. I feel like this show has settled into a comfortable groove, for better or worse, but it’s no worse because Roiland’s gone.

I thought it was a fun, if weightless, episode. Some great lines, especially from Bird Person. I liked the sequence where Rick creates a scary robot only to murder it and create a robot ghost. I wouldn’t be upset if we never saw Mr. PB again, but I wouldn’t be mad if we did.

I thought the voices were fine. I mentioned to my wife while we were watching it that the faux Hugh Jackman’s voice was a little over-the-top… and then the credits ran and she laughed at me and made me feel bad about myself and my life-choices.

I hadn’t seen the trailer so this is the first I heard of the new voice actors. I noticed Rick was a tiny bit different but after the first scene with the Robot Ghost I forgot about that. I got over the switch in Solar Opposites after one episode and here it only took one scene.

As for the episode: Worst episode in a while. I think these other characters are fine as one offs, I don’t really need an entire episode of them. Though perhaps there’s some meta point the show is trying to make that I didn’t get?

I imagine this dip in quality has nothing to do Roiland and probably has more to do with writers strikes or something. Hopefully the next episode is better.

I thought Rick sounded more like normal Rick and Morty for what brief amount we got of him sounded more like normal Morty than Hugh Jackman sounded like what I thought Hugh Jackman actually sounded like. So I’m with you on that.

Wasn’t too surprised when credits rolled though as I know they’ve had lots of real celebrities doing guest spots for the show and I can’t recall them doing any fake celebrity voices.

There was one episode where they got Dan to trot out his Ice-T impression, but yeah usually the famous people are who you think they are.

In fact I’m reasonably sure they actually got Ice-T to reprise the character for later this season.

Yeah, the only noticeably different voice to me was Mr Poopy Butthole, but then again, i don’t think he has gotten this many lines before, so who knows what a sustained delivery of that voice would be.

Episode was a middle of the road one. It was fun seeing some characters again, and there was some very Rick and Morty humor present, like the robot ghost’s rules of existence, as well as the lengthy explanation of how the fading out pills work.

Episode was mid.

Second episode was much more classic Rick & Morty with a scifi plot and unexpected developments.

They did a good job picking those voice actors. I was 2/3rds of the way through the new episode before I even remembered these were new voice actors. New Morty was on too short in Episode 1 to evaluate, but in Episode 2 both Rick and Morty sounded pretty much spot on.

I watched it last night and only remembered about the voice actor switch this morning. I can’t give higher praise than that.

“Your show has resulted in 58,000 deaths…”
“Well…you’re talking about it.”

Good stuff today.

Welp, the warning on the episode this week was definitely warranted.

That was one seriously effed up episode. Still funny in how over-the-top it was in places (“Torso Rights!”)

What was the sentimental song played in the montage toward the end?

A cover of Live Forever by Oasis, but I don’t know who did the cover without googling around for more info.

That was a REALLY good episode, and kind of the story only a show like Rick and Morty can tell.

Episode 5… Damn.

There were lots of callbacks and allusions in that episode that went over my head. The best I could do was let it all wash over me.

I was really digging the synthwave music in the part where eye-patch Morty and Rick go to the dimension where everyone is a different Rick. Sounded vaguely Philip Glass-like in the vein of Koyaanisqatsi’s OST. Anyone know what that was from, if it wasn’t original? Google’s “Now Playing” tells me nothing, but it’s probably because there’s so much other noise/screaming in the mix.