RIM: We have no fucking clue

I have no idea. Maybe they could combine this with the gaudy ultra-rich luxury label Vertu.

So apparently RIM are coming out with a square phone? Intriguing.

I’m holding out for a cube-shaped phone myself.

Rubik’s Cube phone! Also every time I see this thread title I chuckle a little to myself, because RIM also stands for Remote Infrastructure Management , and if anyone has any dealings with it, the phrase “we have no fucking clue” is quite fitting.

It’s never going to succeed, but the design itself is pretty intriguing.

Well, at least you’ll never be doing the landscape/portrait mambo when surfing the web on this thing.

On the one hand, I’m going “RIM is really swinging for the fences on this one” in the hopes of having “The next big thing”. On the other hand, I’m not sure they have much choice but to do just that.

Looks like Square is the choice. Smart move by RIM.

(If you’re not an old timer on the P&R forum this won’t make much sense)

To he fair, it’s not going to succeed no matter how ingenious it is.

Yes, I look forward to wearing only cargo pants to work so I can put this in my pocket.

edit: I’m looking at how it’s being held, and I can’t imagine anyone with small hands (like me) would find this comfortable to hold as a phone. I keep thinking Nokia Edge for some reason.

Maybe you should get larger hands n00b.

Blackberry CEO pooh poohed the Apple-IBM partnership, citing they are two elephants dancing.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/07/25/us-tech-partnerships-idUSKBN0FU23320140725

Sometimes, I wonder, does he has no shame? If Blackberry aren’t at the bottom and irrelevant to the industry, I might just agree but who is he to call Apple/IBM elephants?

I’d say he’s a mouse, but elephants are supposed to be afraid of them. Let’s say an ant, then.

So the Blackberry Passport is actually a thing. I’m intrigued! If it actually works properly it might be great.

[quote=“that zdnet link”]
The negatives:
[ul][li]You won’t be the coolest prosumer on the block. Your fellow executive titans may mock you at first.[/ul][/li][/quote]

At least you’ll have an excuse, “my company pays me to lug this around and hold it up against my face.”

[ul][li]Passport has an odd shape that may throw you.[/ul][/li]
…only if you’re in Soviet Russia.

Do people seriously hold it to their face rather than use a headset? Eesh.

The hybrid physical-virtual keyboard is certainly… interesting. Seems more like a solution born of compromise than anything you’d ever do deliberately.

So the new Blackberry Passport has been released. It actually seems like a pretty decent piece of tech at first glance. 30 hour battery? Sounds like they’re focusing on the business user. It’s really the only play they have left. I wonder if it will work? Probably not, as work use and personal use have really merged. I wonder how the whole Android app optimization is. The screens are pretty different sizes.
Here are some details:
The Passport specifications:

Screen is 1,440 x 1,440 pixels square, with 453 dots per inch, or DPI, resolution.
Gorilla glass screen.
QWERTY keyboard layout, a comfortable holdover from early BlackBerry designs.
Extra-loud speakerphone, 350 per cent louder than that of the Samsung Galaxy S5.
Device switch app that allows users to import data from other phones
Reported 30-hour battery life
Includes 3 GB of RAM and 32 GB of storage space
13 megapixel rear camera with optical image stabilization
Rear camera has f2.0 lens and 1080p HD video recording that can shoot 60 frames per second
2 megapixel front camera with 720p HD video recording

Stick a fork in their hardware business. The mythological “enterprise user” they want numbers fewer and fewer with BYOD. They have a better chance if their MDM software is any good but I’m the momentum is against them. Rob Ford getting cancer is the only thing making me happy these days with John Chen having limited success in turning Blackberry around.

What the actual fuck, dude.