RIP Good Old Games (gog.com)

If you read the text from the OP you will see that they do not take the library with them - they will be setting up a solution to allow you to download them all before closing shop.

WTF?!?

Depressing week for gaming.

Shit.

A cynical (or hopeful?) person might think this could be a PR stunt given how much publicity the APB closure garnered…

… but I doubt it.

I had a dozen or so games, but I suspect some other posters here had a lot more games on their accounts.

This is really abrupt and crazy. And on a Sunday, no less.

I am really sorry to hear this. I check the Good Old Games site all the time and I had no idea. I will be sure download my games as soon as they are available.

To all the folks at GOG: Thanks for securing all of these great games. This was a great service:(

You’re talking to Tim James, here. Realize that he can’t help it.

Well, shit. That really, really sucks.

Can you give us a little more detail on this and it’s impacts Triggercut?

Also - damn, sorry to see this go and hope they are serious about setting up the download service.

I did kinda see it coming in a way though. The quality and variety of their releases slowed down a lot in the last 6 months - went from me checking their site like crazy every tuesday and thursday to see what awesome game they rescued, to checking once a month and saying “oh, they got that, thats kinda cool I guess. Wait, they want $10 for it? Pass!”

Probably one of their major partners pulled out and without that it wasn’t viable.

On a positive note, this will allow all those abandonware sites to put their downloads up again.

Seriously, whatever promted this must be based on some really dumb decision.
There goes the idea of having a site up where you can buy all those decade old games made fit for modern OSes.

Really hope there’ll be some background info.

rezaf

This is terrible news, there were a lot of games on GoG I wanted to buy eventually. Any chance that this is some kind of joke?

Terrible news. I loved GoG.com. I also wanted to buy other games on the service too.

Never made a purchase from them ,but it is sad to hear, less digital distributors is never a good thing.

Maybe the business just wasn’t profitable? I dunno… I mean, I know their margins were pretty slim. But shit, they did a great job of getting old games to run without much work on the user’s end.

Guess i better redownload port royale 2 when/if it comes up, even though i could get never get the damn thing to work under vista.

Whilst I’d only used GOG to acquire the “Master of…” series, this makes me thoughtful about how much I rely on Steam. If that service were to expire in a similar manner, a substantial collection of games I enjoy playing on a quasi-regular basis would suddenly be permanently absent.

Wow, that really sucks. I guess we finally get to test that argument of “what if the provider of your digital software goes belly up?” that people like to use.

Oops, I misread it as “we’ll try to figure out a solution” and it was still up in the air. I’m glad I can grab FS2.

Why such a dickhead comment, triggercut?

I’m sad to see them go but I’ll be flat out pissed if they just fucked me out of almost $100 worth of games I need to download before they shut down completely. I just went from XP to Win7 and hadn’t downloaded any of my games from them yet.

… and that’s another part of why I don’t buy from Steam. Of course it is less likely, Valve being in a pretty good position as regards products that sell and so on, but the potential and the principle are there.

Yup. … although the ones I’ve been looking at never really disappeared - even Underdogs has been re-established as at least a couple different clones.

I certainly had it in mind to buy some stuff from GOG ever since I first heard about them but hadn’t gotten around to it (a lot of what they sell, I already have, the rest I got off Underdogs earlier). I guess if whoever pushed this decision really doesn’t want my money, I won’t give it to them.