RIP Good Old Games (gog.com)

Again, you will have the option of downloading it, it says on the website.

That’s a relief. I’m approaching ‘tackle my backlog’ broke here and my gog.com collection will come in handy. I get a 404 error when trying to visit their site so I assumed the worst.

Why would they do this on a Sunday anyway?

I had a lot of games I have not downloaded yet… youch. Talk about money down the drain!

WTF … they had just announced the release ow AoW etc
This makes no sense at all

Wow this is unexpected!

I bought around 80 games and was looking for more.
Luckily I already downloaded most of them (apart from the Codemasters’ ones I bought on Friday as part of the weekly deal).

This is yet another warning about going “digital” only…

Dear lord - guys, do you even read this thread?

You will be able to download all your games sometime soon according to the website so its not as if you have lost the games.

They can’t help it, Razgon.

Reading between the lines, some of those sentences might imply:

1. It’s coming back as a DRM old games digital distribution service: “we’ve decided that GOG.com simply cannot remain in its current form”
  2. They’ve sold it to someone else to deal with: “This doesn’t mean the idea behind GOG.com is gone forever. We’re closing down the service and putting this era behind us as new challenges await.” This could also mean they hope someone else will take up the banner for DRM free games in the future.

Just guessing though. If there are any major developments, we’ll have to wait for an ominous countdown page or something.

Wow. They suck, where can I access my not yet downloaded games?
NOW?

The worst part is that I hadn’t bought Heroes 3 Complete from them yet. And probably other games I wanted to get.

They’d better setup a system where I can re-download the games I did by indefinitely though. If it’s only a temporary system, then I might as well look for the old discs, since I owned most of these games on disc anyway. The whole point of getting the GoG copy, besides compatibility with modern machines, was so that I could go to a website and re-download them any time I switched to a new computer. No need to go hunting through discs.

That coupled with the fact they just brought the service down on a Sunday with NO warning (someone on SA had just bought something only to have the d/l stop half way through due to the site closing) doesn’t inspire confidence in the fact we will indeed get to download our games some time next week.

Really, it almost looks like someone hacked the site.

What. The. Fuck.

Aw damn, I was totally intending to buy the Gabriel Knight series again from GOG. Really hate to see this happen, and not just for my own selfish reasons.

Damn. All I can say is Damn.

btw - someone postulated on another forum that this might be because someone took their entire catalogue and posted it on some torrents forum and the distributors going crazy over it.

That might explain some of it, but…I really am quite curious now as to how this can happen, and as many have said, on a Sunday?

I don’t give a rat’s ass whether I can download those Codemaster titles or not.
I supported GoG.com massively because of the DRM-free stance and often re-bought games I have / had as retail boxed versions so I can have a DRM-free one + the extras they often offered (soundtracks, scanned manual etc.) + SUPPORTING THEM WITH MY MONEY AS A STATEMENT (just like I give money to RPS because I support their mission as PC gamer blog). Capiche?

Alright so now that we established that I was / am a big supporter of GoG.com maybe I can get my point across:

Although they will come up with some way to download those games this solution will probably not stay up forever (maybe 6 months or something max) since it’s running costs.
If my external hd that has the files will die my whole investment is gone.
I will burn them on DVDs now as well of course but only because I was noticed. Usually I only backup to one location.

Retail copies you throw into a box and put into the attic are still existing if a publisher goes out of business.
This is the point I wanted to make…

This is just such a huge bummer. I’ve been registered since the day that Tom Ohle came here and got us beta invites. :(

This is really sad news. I have only bought about 6 games from them, but definitely planned to buy more in the future. I also really hoped for certain old games to eventually make it to their service. I just took it for granted that GoG would last a long time… I couldn’t imagine that they wouldn’t have been successful as a business, since it seemed like such a great idea. Really too bad.

Maybe they got hit with a lawsuit or cease-and-desist last week, and finally decided to pull the plug today? It did seem fishy. I could see it as a hoax/hack too but they’d need the Twitter account as well.

Arent USB sticks pretty cheap in your part of the woods too? I mean, I practically get 8 GB usb sticks thrown after me if I buy something somewhere, and they dont really decay as far as I know - just a possible solution.

There goes one of my favorite sites. I feel profound disappointment.