RIP Good Old Games (gog.com)

DAMMM, this sucks. The notice that they’ll put up a way for us to get copies of our games is nice though. I was a little bit worried there.

Sad to see it go, I got to visit so many classic games that I never would have been able to before. Very sad to see them go.

Edit: I can’t believe they really care about a 10 year old game’s DRM that much. It’s ridiculous, how else are they supposed to monetize those games? Or are they looking to offer them up themselves now and stick new DRM on there.

Seems unlikely, as they’d pretty much have to expect that would happen right from the start.

I think I’ve already got all of my games from there downloaded and backed up and replicated, so I’m feeling pretty secure, but I think I might still be missing a bunch of the extras; hopefully they’ll still be available as well when they allow downloading again. I hadn’t really checked there in a while though, so I might have missed out on buying some other games I was interested in.

I could not believe my eyes when I read this thread title. I have 70 games there, I love gog, I love CDProjekt, my favourite game company ever. This sucks SO FUCKING MUCH.

I have all the games installers on my drive, but still…the best digital download game service and it ends ? :(

okay…I feel like some sort of thread police, but…as I’ve said 3 times already, and as the text on GOG states, they will allow you to download all your games.

Honestly, I’m a little worried that if they put up a temporary service to re-download all your purchased games, the servers will be so hammered that it will be almost impossible.

It isn’t like you couldn’t download basically every game from some torrent site even before GoG though. If anything GoG seems like near free money for publishers to me. People looking for old games that they could previously only realistically get from abandonware/piracy have a decently priced option to buy them legally instead.

add me to the list of people surprised publishers would care about drm on games which are well beyond their sale date. It seems doubtful that they would get any money from these games otherwise. Not to mention in many cases, including the game i bought from GoG, the freaking DRM is the problem that causes them not to work on modern operating systems!

Yeah super-totally nice. Some of you guys are really becoming quite submissive lately.

I’m guessing they’ll throw up torrents for that very reason. It’s probably why they pulled the links.

And your “point” makes no sense at all

Here you had the option to burn the installer to a CD/DVD OR keep it in digital form. That’s one more option than you ever had from a retail purchase.

I really want to know what happened here. They disappeared in a flash; that implies to me that it was more than just financial trouble. Razgon, do you have a link to the speculation? I’m figuring it was probably something related to that or piracy in general.

Well with cracks, we had that option. Anyway, I really wish they had given us some notice, even a week. I would have picked up MOO1+2 and probably some other stuff too and redownloaded all my games.

Yeah sorry noticed that right after I posted. I read the title, and then clicked the link and all I got was a white page again and again - poof and then posted without reading the thread. My bad.

You gotta admit though that even though they’ve going to give us a way to download our games eventually it is extremely skuzzy of them to do this out of the blue without warning.

I’ve got about 10 GOG games on my computer. I think ten bucks is the most I ever paid for any of them. I’ve spent twice that on movies I wished I’d never seen, spent 10 times that on athletic events I wish I could totally take back.

Shit happens. Welcome to life. Get a helmet.

This is really unfortunate. I guess the publishers, or those that own the current rights don’t want anyone actually “owning” the products they purchase any more.

I can see something like gog emerging in the future that will require some kind of monthly sub to access a game catalogue. Or perhaps, its just a matter of the “classic games” market is just not big enough to sustain a business focussed soley on selling "classic games.

I have about 10 games i purchased from them, and luckily I archived the executables, manuals and extras on my drive.

Hi! This is my first post on this forum. :>)

I suspect that this may be due to their success; if the publishers have learned that there is money to be made on 10 year old games (more than they thought was possible) than they would want to have DRM on those games since they are worth more money.

It will be interesting to see if all those games appear on Steam in the future.

If GOG.com as a service (and a business) is totally and utterly dead, then I can guarantee that the downloads will only be available for a short period while they close down operations.

Plus they were still actively updating, promoting releases and having a sale. Someone pulled the plug very quickly, whatever the reasons.

Feel free to do some internet searches - there’s tons of GOG torrents out there. They appeared soon after the site launched. I don’t think this is why we have this thread.

These are no arguments for anything though. Good, old, DRM-free games were available well before GoG appeared.

What would be really funny is if this turned out to be a disgruntled-employee-action and on Monday there’s another message apologizing for all the heart attacks and assuring they’re not going anywhere.

I don’t think it likely. It’s entirely too believable to me that a company would flip off their customers like this.

I think this might be a fairly likely scenario. Publishers with the rights to old games may have realized that they can allocate a few entry-level programmers to get most of their old titles in shape to run on Win7 and Vista–and then they can take the lion’s share of the profits instead of a third party like GOG…and they can put whatever DRM (Steam) they like on them.

Given the way GoG has acted, and that there’s been nothing but optimistic news from them previously, I’m more inclined to believe that this was done due to coercion from publishers, either by threats of legal action or economic force.