RIP John Lewis

My thoughts exactly. America has had some exceptional presidents, even the merely average ones, have almost always been men of significant accomplishment and achievement. That’s even been true of many of our congressmen and senators like John Lewis. Spelling cat correctly should not be the bar you need to leap over to become president.

He totally can do it, what’s the problem?

Rest in power and peace. A good man gone to make some Good Trouble up above.

It’s now been nearly 12 hours since John Lewis’s passing broke. Currently POTUS playing golf with Lindsey Graham.

Nada.

I dont know what I expected dot gif.

Oh wait!

EDIT: Acknowledgement.

A hero and true patriot. RIP.

We can expect no proper acknowledgement of that heroism and patriotism from the president today. Indeed, all we can expect are sneers.

If it seems too much to bear that a hero and a patriot should be treated that way, remember that the man himself would ask, not for sorrow or even anger, but for action.

And consider this as well: a month ago, while the toddler sulked in a bunker, Lewis, knowing he was in his last days, saw a memorial for what his life achieved far better than any mere White House press release - words on a street, but behind it a movement of millions.

I am not a Mitt fan, but this is more than laudable:

Of course people are dunking on him in the comments.

This is a marvelous thread on the original version of Lewis’ 1963 speech, how it terrified the elders in the civil rights movement and the changes they forced him to make before allowing him to deliver it.

What? My fellow Utahns? They’d never!

https://twitter.com/tyler6502/status/1284481926565224454

Very profound statement from a True Conservative! I wish Armando would shit on Reagan’s grave for that “government is the problem” meme that’s infected the Right for four decades now.

Me too, I don’t think Reagan fans really grasp that he led the way for the conservative expertise is bad mantra.

Any WH statement would be pablum penned by Scavino or Hope Hicks, so I don’t really care to hear it. Of course any other admin would have had something ready weeks ago. DJT has nothing to say because he doesn’t GAS, so he can go fuck himself.

Absolutely. “Government is the problem”, “career politician” and such led us here. The latter is said with a sneer, but being a successful Representative or Senator takes a skillet and experience. Do these same people sneer when a “career executive” is named the new CEO of a corporation? Of course not, the experience and expertise that comes from that is lauded just like almost every other field I can think of. Only for Republicans and government does it become a problem. Of course, just like bad CEOs you can certainly have a piece of shit in office for a long time, not trying to say otherwise.

Anyway, if “career politician” is the worse these yokels can throw at him, I really think that says a lot.

Never mind hating on the politicians, Reagan was attacking the government employees, i.e. the actual experts.

He basically popularized the idea that government employees were incompetent and dangerous. I guess I can understand (maybe) dissing on ‘career politicians’, but government employees are public servants. They’re doctors and lawyers and engineers and accountants and clerks and technicians.

No no, all that is irrelevant. They are first and foremost bureaucrats!

It’s such a toxic ideology, it’s directly led to to the dysfunction of the GOP and from that, governance in this country. Government can’t help. Government can’t solve any problems. Government can’t do anything, and anything it tries to do will just make problems worse. It’s no surprise that we have a complete lack of coordinated federal response to COVID-19. It’s no surprise Katrina and Maria were such disasters (aside from the natural part of the disaster, I mean).

EDIT: I’m sorry, this is the John Lewis thread. I should take my whining right on out of here, the Twitter idiots responding to Romney just got me going. Sorry for any distraction/derail in a memorial thread to a great man we’ve lost.

Yeah, mea culpa.

But then you look at Portland, and it’s like, “yeah, the government is a problem.”

The Republican government is the problem, which was part of my point. Or rather, complaint. Anyway, won’t discuss anymore in this thread.

Statement from the president:

That is a picture of Elijah Cummings.