RIP Sean Connery (1930 - 2020)

What was the movie he was in Japan? That is all I can remember about it at the moment.

You Only Live Twice?

Yes. The one with ninjas! And not yet ninjas, but an army of them. Invading a volcano.

And a wedding ceremony. And Bond, with make-up, dressed up in traditional Japanese costume:

For me, he was Guillaume de Baskerville in the Name of the Rose.

Anyone remember The Hill (1965) by Sydney Lumet, where he was playing a prisoner in an british prison camp?
The prisoners need to run up/down a hill as punishment in full outfit, backpack, gas masks etc

Also one of my favorites was Woman of Straw (1964), a very clever 3-Person-drama with some twists. It is about a tryrannical uncle (Ralph Richardson) with huge amounts of money and and italial nurse (Gina Lollobridgida) as a means to get to the money. Great music by Beethoven…

And The Name of the Rose (1986) as Sherlock Baskerville. Great Book, but the film was pretty good, too. It had some of the atmosphere of the book and more. Connery was perfect.

rip.

Yeah, You Only Live Twice is the worst of his Bond films by far.

Name of the Rose, on the other hand, is excellent.

I should have mentioned I was thinking of a non-Bond film. I found it - Rising Sun. I remember it as being ok. I do not remember anything about You Only Live Twice. I will have to rewatch it.

Sounds like you’re due for a rewatch of Diamonds are Forever.

Not to disregard his many, many excellent acting contributions, but it’s also notable that Connery made an indelible mark on early internet history, on the form of ytmnd. I assume he knew nothing of it, and wouldn’t have thought much of it if he did.

I liked it. Many did not.

Oh wow, I had forgotten that one. Sci-fi remake of High Noon. I loved that and saw it twice at the theater in the early 80’s, but never since.

Same. I saw that movie at the perfect age. The Rock is the other Connery memory that’s burned in that much.

The Rock was amazing, gotta re-watch it when time permits.

I saw it about two years ago and enjoyed it, it has that low-fi Alienesque worldbuilding and atmosphere.

From Darby O’Gill and the Little People?

Another fun one …

Just watched You Only Live Twice with my 18-year-old son. Connery at his Connery-est.

It’s amusing to watch 60’s Bond with the ladies with a woke 21st Century teenager. “It was a different time, son.”

He had the kind of screen presence that instantly engendered goodwill in myself for whatever he was in. Heck, whenever I came across the Blu Ray cover for League of Extraordinary Gentlemen just his face alone was enough to get me to consider giving this dumpster fire another try every single time I encountered it.

Medicine Man certainly wasn’t very memorable, but I think Sean Connery’s rugged Jungle Chic in that movie not only rode the coattails of the burgeoning environmental movement, it spread the message that “for our own sakes, we shouldn’t slash and burn the rainforests” through pop culture and the global consciousness.