Rise of the Tomb Raider

Baba Yaga is fun and interesting, but waaaay overpriced. For a dollar or two it is worth it, but not any more than that - it’s just way too short, only an hour or two.

So, I managed to get lucky and beat it tonight. That second wave of enemies during the final fight was unnecessarily tough. The actual boss fight I’m neutral on. It only took me a few tries to get through that.

It’s also interesting on PS4 viewing the stats on completion. 44% of the people finished the game, and 55% got the achievement just before it.

A few comments about the end:

Was it just me, or did the ending give off a serious Raiders of the Lost Ark vibe?

Any idea how to access this on the PS4?

At the soviet saw mill, there should be a animal skull flashing pink on your map.

Thanks. It’s a little different on the PS4 since it’s included on the disc. I had to watch a walkthrough on what locker to pop open.

[quote=“Telefrog, post:628, topic:74980, full:true”]
But I can’t quite get my head around Lara taking out dozens of heavily armed special ops soldiers in head-on confrontation.[/quote]

Which exactly what you don’t do in this game for the most part or it will get you killed :). You pretty much need to use stealth or have a very good position or you will get swarmed and swamped. At least that was my experience.

The last fight – with the waves of soldiers between the helicopter fights – is a notable exception to this. I just felt like I was in a bar fight all the time. I kept having to move around too much.

I finished Baba Yaga and enjoyed it. I loved the story and the boss fight. I prefer boss fights that are more mechanics than waves of enemies.

So I picked this back up. Man the writing is garbage, I can’t believe this won awards for that. Also, I can’t stand Lara in this, I had to check if it’s a different voice actor from TR (it’s not). I didn’t mind her at all in the first game, but something about her performance in this one really rubs me wrong.

That’s pretty much what I was saying way upthread, so it’s good to see that I’m not the only one. I don’t remember her accent bothering me at all in the first one. I typically like that accent. It seems more forced in this game even though she is from England. I think something changed from the first reboot.

The writing is indeed garbage. I was facepalming my way through it and it is the reason I will never replay this.

Lara’s voice acting was so peculiarly flat in Rise that I wondered if it was a directorial decision, to reflect her troubled mental state. The actor herself can certainly do better, and did in the first game.

I saw a documentary a while ago where they explained that game voice work is often done in a more “neutral” tone, as the setting and the scene where it would be used in hasn’t been decided / completed yet. So for the acted line to work in a variety of possible different circumstances they are spoken with less inflection. Then when the game development is further along and the producers decide to redo / polish the voice work at a later stage, they might rerecord some bits to fit the actual scene better.

Perhaps thats what happened in this game? The actress was reading the script in a flat manner as the scenes the dialogue was going to be set in, weren’t done / fully decided yet. And then producers never went back to correct some of the line readings?

This! I just finished the dlc, and enjoyed it also. :)

Pics

Now I am ready for the next game later this week!

I see I still have the Cold Darkness and Blood Ties DLCs untouched, are either worth it?

Gonna pass on Cold Darkness, I was told its a so-so horde mode with zombies.
I did complete Blood Ties and liked that it was just story bits with no combat.

That’s it for me, uninstalling and ready for the next game!

huh?? Cold Darkness is AWESOME and the best DLC imo!!

I was told is was so-so! D:

Don’t make me reinstall it, lol.

hey, its your life, but i LOVED it. only dlc I played over and over again. and I really hope they incorporate more puzzles like the ones in that zombie tower. maybe without horde waves inbetween. and better designed. it was still a very promising concept!

How long to beat told me its like a max 2 hours long, so I am gonna give it ago. :)

Apparently, I bought the season pass and then never played any of the expansions. Looks like I have work to do as well.