Risen 2: Dark Waters

Yay! Glad these guys did well enough to keep going. I was afraid that without the Gothic brand Risen would flop.

Can’t wait, these games always hit that sweet spot of exploration, combat, upgrading, questing, etc that I love.

I’m hoping they manage to get the console port a little cleaner than risen 1. I actually thought it worked pretty well on the 360, it just looked like warmed-over ass. Hopefully, for my tastes, they get a cleaner journal map quest thing going on and improve the graphics. Either way, probably a day one purchase for me as well.

Love Gothic/Risen.

Hope they would do more with the NPC scheduling system.

When when when when when? I liked Risen, but never got more than about half way through the game, I think. But this will still be a day one buy for me. I love the approach to gaming that PB represents, and I just wish Bethesda would borrow a bit more of it. Actually, I think FNV did do so, by adding the factions and having them carry more weight and meaning. But I still want a good fantasy game that does this, and Risen got me excited to see what they will do next. I just hope it comes out this year. If not, it’s not a huge problem, since there are a TON of great games I’m looking forward to this year. Still, Risen 2 would be amazing.

Hmm.

To each his own I guess, but I just started playing Risen for the first time a couple of days ago on the XBox (its only $20 these days), and I think it looks rather nice. Draw distances aren’t all that great but overall I find the visuals quite immersive. Maybe not triple A, but easily as good as say Fallout NV. I agree about the map and journal though…its a bit squeezed together.

It looks a lot nicer on the PC, especially after you adjust the draw distance to cover the entire world.

I’d just like to highlight how awesomely on the nose I was with that, despite knowing nothing of Risen 2 (other than that it’s in production) prior to clicking on this thread this morning. Super hangover concept art interpret get. Only humans can do this.

I’m fully on board for Risen 2. Risen was a great restatement of principles by PB though it did have one of their previous mistakes in the last third of the game, in terms of funnelling the player to the finish a bit (a lot). It was a fantastic game, stable, well optimised out of the box for more modest PCs and no real bugs of note. It sounds like this is Risen’s Gothic 2, and we’re in for a good time.

Was sad to hear that PB’s composer and mouthpiece Kai Rozenkrantz (sp?) is no longer with them. Apparently the composer of the Gothic 4 score is doing the honours.

I would like Risen 2 to put this stuff in options so I don’t need to read ini tweak guides. It was like returning to the 90s.

PB’s official position on the Risen console conversion is something like “We only did the PC version.” ;)

A couple of random additions from the forum threads discussing the PC Games preview. Take everything with a grain of salt:

• The voice recordings will happen in a couple of weeks, they’re not already being made.
  • (AFAIR) The world will be significantly bigger than Risen.
  • Early islands have to be visited again. Something will happen and they’ll be filled with more content.
  • Risen 2 starts relatively linear, but opens up more and more.
  • Graphics made a huge step forward (says the previewer). System requirements are still TBD but will be (relatively) similar to Risen’s, says Deep Silver.
  • Armour now consists of multiple parts.
  • Cannons can be fired, in certain situations.
  • Swords are out, sabers and machetes are in.
  • No mini-map.
  • It won’t be similar to the Disney movies. Risen 2 will be more realistic.

so excited!

But will it be available via Steam? :P
…and YAY!

Three cheers! I really liked Risen and am glad they’re doing a sequel.

Some preview info in English:

http://forum.worldofplayers.de/forum/showthread.php?t=956015

PS3 version also planned. Maybe the first game did ok? I have to say the introduction of muskets has suddenly made this seem much more interesting to me - it just seems like a bold step away from the same old same old. And if Piranha Bytes say this is the most interactive RPG world ever, well…

I WANT TO BELIEVE.

I urge you to be cautious. As in real life, if something sounds too good to be true…

Hopefully there is someone (publisher, senior guys at Piranha Bytes) watching over them and pulling them back when they get a little bit too flight of fancy.

I think Risen benefited immensely from a reduced scope over Gothic III and just concentrating on polishing one smaller world area and game until it was good - the first half to two thirds of the game (eg the part 90%+ of people play). I really really enjoyed Risen and finished it, whereas a I burnt out a bit on Gothic III.

Gothic III on release suffered from the developers perhaps biting off a little bit more than they could chew by release date.

Although I still clearly remember the vista in Gothic III looking out over the rolling plains while hunting for giant Lizards near Silden - absolutely awesomely realised game world and exploration mechanic - not yet bested by any game in my opinion.

More info from GDC, plus some screens. Suddenly I’m excited - it seems like a less generic RPG setting. Ahoy!

http://gdc.gamespot.com/story/6301598/risen-2-dark-waters-impressions-first-look/?tag=gallery_summary%3Btitle

John Lennon fights a rooster (the one from Sgt Pepper)? I would buy this Beatles RPG.

It looks so nice. I don’t know if I should be more excited about this or Skyrim.

Probably this.

Been replaying Risen since the announcement of the sequel - such a great game. I can’t wait for this. And Land Angler Fish! They look scary.