Risen 2: Dark Waters

http://www.risen2.com/

What are they counting down to today?

First trailer?

Yep, will be a trailer.

I just want it to appear on the pre-order list on Steam. I want to pay for it and forget about it until it’s out.

CG trailer. :/
But at least it’s a well produced cg trailer.

Not bad. Do people phone you when they release a video? You’re often the source for cool new stuff.

IIRC, this was done by Axis Animation - the same guys that also created the Dead Island trailer for Deep Silver.

I like the story it tells, though not sure about those voices.

Wow, that was great! Can’t wait.

I really like what’s implied about the setting. Cutlasses, flintlocks, and if magic is voodoo-inspired rather than just 5 flavours of fireball, I’d be over the moon.

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/59979/Risen-2-Dark-Waters-Screenshots-Fact-Sheet

A few more pics, showing the time of day changes among other things. Very nice.

Very encouraging interview with PB at Eurogamer:

Michael Hoge: The game world of Risen 2 has several islands the size of the island in Risen 1. And no, bigger is not always better, but the way we’ve done it, by having the player explore certain locations before he can move on to others - and then at a certain point allowing him full access to the whole world - gives us the opportunity to tell the story and have an open world…

Very nice interview. It sounds like they’re aware of the problem where the game starts with some strong character interactions and then trails off into a pure dungeon crawl at the end. Hopefully they’ll manage to hit the balance a bit better this time.

Yes, they do address the specific problems with Risen itself, in addition to other stuff. The one teeny fly in the ointment I’ve seen is that ‘we’ve started using heightmaps’. I don’t know what that means but if it means turning my Myrtanalike into Tamriel I’ll be very sad. Grr :)

PB do the best world design of anyone out there. I trust them not to screw up the geography. :>

That whole thing about Risen and Gothic possibly merging at some point was interesting. It was probably Eurogamer reaching a little, but it isn’t unfeasible. They are essentially the same game design, and there was lots about Risen that was kind of (almost deliberately) vague, such as the Gods that had disappeared, details of the mainland or the world outside the island etc. It could almost be Gothic, but a different part of the world, or a different time.

I recently picked up my save game for Risen to play on my newish PC.

My god that game can be gorgeous at times. It’s by far one of the best looking RPGs to date.

Also a damn good game. Can’t wait for the sequel.

Gothic III is still my favourite game world by far. Just loved the sweeping vistas.

Gothic 3’s Myrtana was beautiful, but the desert got boring quickly and north got extremely annoying quickly with its superthick fog.

I’m not sure why, but I think a lot of people may not want pirates mixed with their fantasy rpg. After reflecting on it for a bit, I think it could be a very natural mix considering PB have always built down and dirty worlds instead of Alice’s fairy wonderland of unicorns.

I did suffer that initial twinge of misgiving when I read about the pirate focus. Which I find a bit weird since I love the Monkey Island series, and fantasy pirate stuff is about exploring and fighting and treasure and such, so it’s seemingly a perfect fit.

Am I the only one that had that “whoa, what?” moment?

I’m pretty sure I’m over it now, but it definitely happened when I read the interview and watched the trailer.