Risen thread (spiritual sequel to Gothic series)

Even though he had no idea how to pronounce the name (“Rise In”? Really, Stefan?), Desslock seems pretty taken with this game in the last Three Moves Ahead podcast. And even though he’s already playing Dragon Age, I think he said Risen will probably end up being the best RPG this year. Yow.

-Tom

Is he playing it on 360 or PC?

Gothic 3 is notorious for having performance issues.

Downloading that podcast now.

But seriously if Risen is anything like first two Gothics (and it seems to be so), it will be the best rpg of the year hands down.

edit - when does Desslock start talking about Risen, please?

Paul, I think he mentions it a couple of times, but the best bit is the end when he realizes he’s been mispronouncing it. Stefan isn’t a guy who’s used to being wrong. :)

-Tom

I am in 27th minute (skipped some parts) and now he talks about Dragon Age in that gravelly vin diesel voice of his : )). No Risen yet I think.

edit - ok from what I heard he seems to be talking about it in the last two minutes, but yeah, he says it could be the best rpg of the year and they do make fun of him for RiseIn : ).

I have a nutty habit of mispronouncing every written name I see - it’s my “rebranding tourettes”

Desslock - when you said what you said, was that based on expectations stemming from Gothic love and some presentations, previews, etc, or are you already playing the game? If so, please give us some more detailed impressions, would ya? Thanks!

They aren’t usually in the habit of give earlier than it should (and free) their opinions. In other words, buy Pc Gamer if you want to read Desslock’s opinion about the game!

Huh alright I will go to UK (or is it US one?) for a weekend to buy PCGamer then.Or not.

I was trying to say that, well, game journalists play betas and special preview versions, and they can’t say a lot to the public before relase date. I suppose they usually have NDAs, or at least contracts with their magazine and stuff like that.

Well sure, I was of course supposing that Desslock would tell us something if he actually could…
And he did talk a bit about Dragon Age a while back that he played and it is a lot better than the marketing campaign would have you think and whatnot, and that one is also still few months away.

I know Desslock doesn’t write a column for PC Gamer anymore so that’s unlikely to prove a fruitful course.

I’m sure if he wants to say something, and can, he will. It’s never stopped him before!

:-)

I think he will have to prove it! :P

I don’t have any experience with Risen - guys like Gorath are better sources of information. I just like what I’ve heard from the PB guys, and what I’ve seen that’s been publicly distributed.

That settles it then : ).

From that 45 minutes long video I like what I see except for the animations of the main character, although it is better than Fallout 3 (but that one was more suited for fpp anyway).

http://risen.deepsilver.com/blog/pages/en/news/news.php

Gold!

Hmmm, that includes the 360 version. I wonder why Gamefly got rid of Risen(360) from their database and removed it from my queue? I thought maybe they expected the game to be delayed. But it’s still listed on Amazon (though it’s $18 more than the PC version! That’s premium you pay for ensuring it’ll work on your system for sure, I guess).

Hopefully there will be a demo soon. That way if the reviews are gushing about the game, I’ll be able to tell myself whether or not my PC can handle the game smoothly or if I’m better off getting the 360 version.

According to Blues today the 360 version isn’t due til early 2010. Don’t know what that’s based on though.

Edit - actually that seems direct from the press release.

They don’t want it to compete with Dragon Age for the North American console audience…

It’s a shame that they didn’t do a better job of hyping this one up – I actually had no idea it was even close to release until I heard the podcast. This Steven Janucki fellow likes it, though, so I’ll keep an eye out for it.