RoboCop Returns with Blomkamp at the Helm

Hmm, sounds kinda like what he wanted to do with Alien before Ridley steamrolled that project.

I remember loving the scene where Kaine slaughters the mayor/mobsters (or whoever they were). The gatling bullet holes through the garage door, the thumping of the feet, the terror in the guys’ faces, the unstoppable savagery of it. What a great scene, it was like the Raptors in the kitchen sequence of Jurassic Park if the dinosaurs had went on to eat the kids instead. I remember being in awe, going upstairs, grabbing my sister, rewinding the tape, and making her watch it. And then she turns and said, revulsion in her face, “this is disgusting.” It’s about then that I knew I needed to find my people.

I like the little mini launcher Kaine had on his shoulder, too. Right before they go rattling up the elevator shaft. Come on you guys, what a badass design to watch.

Now Robocop 3, no redeeming anything there.

Robocop 2 was absurdly over-the-top in terms of violence. It was, dare I say, hyperviolent. Everything is getting shredded by machine-gun fire in the finale. Cops. Bad guys. Civilians. It’s just glorious splatter.

I always remember it was directed by Irwin “You may remember me from directing Empire Strikes Back” Kersnher. If you though Empire was dark, it’s got nothing on Robocop 2.

My parents took me to see Robocop 2 when it came out (I was ten). That was a miscalculation on their part.

Robocop 1 and The Untouchables were the first R-rated movies I saw.

Talk about a baptism by fire!

Yeah, I loved Robocop 2 as a 14 year old, and then saw it again at 22 and loved it, and then again at 30 and loved it. I just love the mix of ultra-violence and comedy.

I’ve not seen Robocop 2 in a dog’s age. I should fix that.

Regarding this, since the original writers are involved, I’m SUPER excited.

Wait, Ed Neuemeier’s on board? That’s a different kettle of fish.

Yeah, feel the same way. The reboot was decent but so forgettable and rudderless.

That’s much more interesting than I expected. I also think, regardless, that Blomkamp is a good choice for this movie (even though I’ve never fully liked anything he’s done, and his politicizing is as ham-handed as it gets) – mainly because he does violence better than anyone currently: it always feels gritty and looks great, even though it’s also surprising and sometimes humorous.

You didn’t enjoy the fooking prawns movie? I loved it!

Interest rising…

Interesting link… didn’t realize it was Cliff Blezinski in the Twitter reference.

So, what do you guys think? Peter Weller too old? They going to try Joel Kinnamon again or pretend the reboot didn’t happen?

Well, assuming Peter Weller is at all interested, you only really see his lower jaw, though I guess they do remove the helmet now and then.

Karl Urban has lower jaw experience!

I thought Ubran’s lower jaw was all signed up for the DREDD tv series.

Seeing that Blomkamp was involved, I fully expected this to be R-rated and over the top gory like the original, which means I may or may not be able to watch it. Having kids gives you a certain revulsion to that sort of gore that’s just really hard to shake. I struggled mightily with Deadpool and didn’t watch it for a very long time because I was concerned I wouldn’t be able to handle the violence and gore. Dredd too was rough…

I don’t know, but his fingering game is on point.

Robocop_Data_Spike