Rocksmith

I’ve had this sitting unlaunched in my Steam account since 2014 (It was on sale, and I figured I’d get a guitar to go with it Real Soon Now ™).

Well, now my daughter has been asking to learn guitar, so we each got guitars and have been practicing for the last few days. Finally started up the game today once the cable arrived, and I’m not quite sure what to think.

The beginner arrangements I tried seem a bit underwhelming and disconnected from the song playing in the background. They have a lot of playing the same note every couple of seconds and doing nothing else, and the difficulties for me come from moving around the fretboard and in getting used to the notation system they use in the game (putting the low notes on the top and the high notes at the bottom keeps throwing me off).

By contrast, the Hal Leonard book I was working through previously keeps things confined to a small area at the top of the fretboard, but has me moving from note to note in that area with reasonable alacrity and making recognizable songs, which was more immediately satisfying. I’ll definitely keep experimenting with both though.