Rocksmith

Doh, I missed that it is on the PC May 31, 2012. Wonder if it has Ubisoft’s fancy DRM.

BUY IT ANYWAY. It’s fucking brilliant.

Thanks Houngan, roger that, wilco.

(Edit: I don’t actually know whether the PC version has DRM or not, only that you should buy it regardless :-)

David Bowie “Space Oddity”
Blue Oyster Cult “(Don’t Fear) The Reaper”
Heart “Barracuda”

\m/

Get Ahead of the Game [tm]:

Space Oddity: Practice your cowboy chords, especially C to E to A. Some easy barres, as well.
Don’t Fear the Reaper: Practice E, F, and G chord fingerings for the main riff.
Barracuda: slow gallops, not much tough here either.

These are pretty fun songs.

Also learn from this tutorial:

This is just an aside, but out of curiosity, the main riff is A/G/F. Why E, F and G fingerings?

Surely to god they’ve coded in a side challenge for cowbell. Tonk-tonk-tonk-tonk-tonk-tonk-tonk He’s on fire!

This is what I’ve been doing. Up to Stage 5 ish. I even bought the song book just to donate to the site a little bit.

I tried to have some discipline and work on the arcade games and technique challenges but the songs are so much more fun. I got stuck for a long while on a song until I remembered that you can customize the set list. Now I’m tearing through a whole bunch of easy stuff. Not sure how much I’m learning but I’m having fun again with it at least.

Their facebook posted that the long awaited patch should be out in the beginning of Feb.

You’re right…first 4 notes are A. Been a while since I played this riff or most anything else since both of my guitars are downtuned to C right now :)

Yay!

https://twitter.com/#!/naohigo/status/162303152345972736

Rocksmith Title update 2 for PS3/360 is approved, and will go live sometime next week. We’ll let you know when the date is set.

What will the update contain? Any cool new features?

Well I for one will consider it a cool new feature if I can just practice a riff without getting kicked out every 2 minutes.

But I also just saw this:

Holy cats. Bass. Might be able to actually play an instrument I know well along with Rocksmith, instead of struggling with stupid Rolling Stones songs on guitar.

Did they ever add an option so I can just set whatever difficulty level I want for a song? I really lost interest in this game in a hurry when I realized I was always forced to start on super beginner mode even on songs I’ve been able to play perfectly on a real guitar for years.

Patch is out. Release notes:

The patch update for Rocksmith is now available! Put the Rocksmith game disk into your console and make sure you’re plugged into the Internet. You should automatically be prompted with a software update.

1. The user is now able to select ‘Songs’ from the Multiplayer Post Play screen, allowing them to select a new song without having to re-calibrate the guitar each time
  2. A fix has been entered to disqualify any Guitarcade Game score that was gotten through exploitation of the Pause Button. A warning message appears on the Pause Screen informing the user that pausing the game again will disqualify their score from the leaderboards
  3. The amount of lives that the user has in Riff Repeater has been increased to 30 when selected from Event Manager or Song selection.
  4. The user is now able to invoke the precision tuner before quick-tuning in any song or event, excluding multiplayer
  5. The user is now able to select their own “Phrase Mastery” level in the Pause Menu of Riff Repeater activities. Completing the phrase on the set level carries that progress into the full song, unless the new phrase level is LOWER than what has actually been achieved naturally
  6. The user can now start new songs at a HIGHER phrase level if they are good enough (Level 7 as opposed to Level 5), and they can also level up high-level phrases with fewer correct repetitions
  7. A fix has been implemented so that the “Satisfaction” Single Note arrangement can be unlocked for Master Mode
  8. A fix has been implemented so that the “Do You Remember” Chord arrangement can be unlocked for Master Mode.
  9. Lag Correction will be a new feature in the Options menu to adjust the difference between sound and how fast notes appear
  10. General stability improvements to fix crashes

Nice. Unfortunately for me, I think I looked at JustinGuitar and got scared off, I haven’t been playing NEARLY enough. Probably need to focus back on Rocksmith alone for a while, mainly scales and basic chords…

ARISE!

Anyone tried out the bass DLC? I’m very, very tempted as that is the instrument I’d really like to learn.

I have the bass DLC, and it’s very well done. It’s effectively the same as the guitar side, with full training modes and mini-games. I haven’t had any issues with note recognition which was a concern many people had before the DLC was released. The bass amp/tone modeling is also a lot better than I expected.

The patch they released alongside the DLC is fantastic. They added the ability to manually set your speed in accelerator all the way down to 25% and lock it so that it doesn’t speed up when you have a perfect run, as well as improving the lag on many setups. In addition, they changed the save game format so saving goes quicker, and improved song selection so that holding down L/R scrolls by letter. If the game had released in this state, I would have been much happier with it. I’m finally really enjoying this game.

There is a bug on the bass side though, where the bonus songs are permanently locked if you unlocked them on the guitar side (except for Boss).

Thanks for the excellent write-up scottypuck! I’ll definitely pick it up this evening.