Rocksmith

Does anyone use Rocksmith with a book to learn guitar? There is some type of free play right? I don’t have an amp for my electric guitar but I don’t think Rocksmith does a good job at teaching me how to play. So if I can just hook up my guitar to the PC and play on there using a book, that might work.

Yes it does have an open free play. (so you could just use it as an AMP)
You could even set the BPM I think in that free play to help you focus on say working on scales or finger exercises at a specific speed.

(I really should be doing this… even just writing it — makes me want to)

Thanks ducker. I got my son a learn guitar book a while back (although it isn’t specifically for electric). I’ll have to dig it up.

I’m having a hard time getting a satisfying difficulty level on this. The automatic difficulty likes to vacillate between one easy note every second or two and an hyperspeed barrage of chords and complicated patterns I can’t come close to keeping up with. And when turning dynamic difficulty off, there doesn’t seem to be a way to set a manual difficulty for a whole song. I guess you can only do that in riff repeater?

I agree with the difficulty, it gets too hard very fast for me. Hmm, I thought you could set the difficulty for a song but it has been so long since I played.

I wonder… once people get adapt at playing the guitar - does your brain automatically translate the Rocksmith note notation to the actual note, or do you still process it as fret and string?

Fret and a string. I think you’d have to learn guitar to actually read ‘notes’. Might be different for those with a stronger musical background, though. I play it much much more casually.

It does speed up quickly and become too fast to follow if you don’t already know the part.

The solution at that point is to use the riff repeater on that part to slow things way down. Then learn the part and slowly speed it up u til you can play it.

At that point you’ll play that section more or less from memory when you see it come up in the game.

Diego

I think he’s asking if he’ll recognize the notes he’s playing, instead of fret+string

As in reading sheet music? No, Rocksmith does modified guitar tab and won’t help with reading music.

This. I was wondering if eventually you see the fret + string in Rocksmith and then recognize that that is an ‘A’.

I know that Rocksmith won’t teach me to read music. Sorry if I wasn’t clear.

I like to say there’s a difference between learning “guitar” and learning “music.” What you’re describing – note recognition, recognition of chords, etc – is learning music, and that comes over time as you learn guitar. It’s fairly easy to learn an instrument, because that’s mostly memorization and execution. But eventually you stop thinking of this:
0 - 0
1 - 0
2 - 0
2 - 2
0 - 2
X - 0

And start thinking “A minor to E minor” and knowing that those chords sound okay next to each other in sequence, and knowing what other chords might sound good next to those ones. At that point, you’re learning music. And once you know even a little bit of music, you can start to dink around creatively and compose new things.

It also depends on how you’re learning the instrument. I haven’t played Rocksmith – does it only teach songs through tabs, or does it teach you that X combination of chords is A minor, and Y combination of notes is a pentatonic scale, and so on?

(Not trying to sound like Judgy Music Guy – I’m not good at guitar or music, but learning them has been one of the most beneficial creative things in my life)

From what I can tell it only teaches you how to play particular songs based on their own notation.

There are actually lessons and minigames specifically focused on teaching chords and scales, among other topics.

I’ve also found that some songs ramp up the difficulty significantly quicker/more than others. Sorting the songs by difficulty and picking some of those they have identified as being the easiest tends to keep the difficulty in check. (tempo isn’t too fast, chords aren’t too complex/difficult to finger)

While it does have mini-games that delve into chords and such, it isn’t intended to teach any music theory - at least not in depth. You’ll learn the chord, and (if you choose to) you’ll be able to learn their names. I consider this fine though, as that isn’t how it was marketed either. I think there is another product out there that does ‘learning music’ vs. ‘learning guitar’ as its focus, but still works kinda like Rocksmith.

I found this occasionally updated page, and it’s a little heartbreaking.

It’s the DLC that has been or will be delisted and when. Some of that stuff had been in my Steam wishlist for a long time, but I hadn’t pulled the trigger and now the opportunity is lost. (There is the “Cherub Rock” route but I haven’t gone down that road yet.)

On the bright side, I was able to confirm that if I only had Rocksmith Remastered 2014 and not the 2011 original, I could buy the OG Rocksmith DLC tracks. They work fine in Remastered.

Looking through the song listings, they appear to be delisting 10 years after release. Plan your future purchases accordingly.

It is undeniably sad to see these go.

But also, Ubisoft can kiss my shinny metal ass, because there’s no way I’m paying indefinitely for the new Rocksmith as-a-service given they’re sure to also de-list tracks as those rights expire.

I dunno. They may have a better chance holding on to rights to the Wiggles catalog vs. the things in RS2014. The challenge is getting enough people that want to learn Cold Spaghetti on guitar at subscription rates.

And Rocksmith 2014 (as well as Rocksmith 2014 Remastered) joins the OG Rocksmith in the Delisted Hall of Fame. It is no longer available to buy on Steam or any other digital platform. DLC that hasn’t already been delisted remains available to buy, but as time passes (roughly ten years since initial release) those will also be delisted.

I’m still kicking myself for not grabbing some of the tracks now lost to time and Licensing Beasts. I haven’t jumped over to CustomsForge yet, but that’s probably a matter of time. The original track list of songs and DLC won’t ever be hosted there, they say, but there’s thousands of other songs that someone taped off the radio which makes it totally okay to post and play in Rocksmith.

I’m still only just under 200 hours of play, but what a terrific game this was. I can still play it and all the DLC I’ve ever bought, but surely future generations will weep for the lack for this game-slash-teaching tool.