Sad news about TotalBiscuit

He just announced he has terminal cancer.

I hate cancer. It has taken too many people.

Shit.

Oh my. Seeing so much more of this recently and it’s so awkward and interesting to deal with. Expecting to stumble across my own cancer diagnosis any day now and, given my own friend/family track record, expect things to pick up in the next few months…

Man, he’s only 31! What a tragedy.

This was in another thread (a few of them, I’ve seen) and it’s a huge bummer on every level. Love him or hate him (I think he was somehow tied to GamerGate or something, but I never dug into it) he is a lot of fun to watch with his WTF… series, I got my first look at many a new and upcoming title and watching him play with such enthusiasm led me to a day one purchase. I hope he can have many more good years and do what he loves to do before it claims him. Fuck cancer.

I don’t think it was GamerGate. He was a strong advocate that Youtube reviewers disclose any financial relationship they have with game developers. That was what sparked all the controversey. He may have had a position on gamergate, but that wasn’t what made him polarizing.

I was pleasantly surprised to see the reception this news got on reddit. Even people who can’t stand TB are being nice and supportive.

That’s awful. 31.

If there’s any silver lining here, it’s that his form of cancer is pretty rare in young people. As he notes, the survival rates of 2-3 years are mostly made up of data based on the elderly.

That they’re going to treat him aggressively reinforces that. His doctors clearly think he can beat that typical prognosis with treatment, and I hope they’re right.

Terrible news. I too feel that his being younger and somewhat healthier than most folks diagnosed with this form of cancer might lend some credence to the theory that aggressive treatment might yield results. It’s going to be rough on him regardless, but I sincerely hope he beats the odds and sees remission. He may be a polarizing figure in the gaming community, but I had a ton of fun playing with/against him back when Planetside 2 was first launched and SOE brought him and other gaming notables in to lead events on the servers. He has always seemed like a genuinely nice guy at heart, just outspoken and with a larger than life persona built up over the past few years. Best wishes to TB and his family.

I have no idea who this fellow is, but he’s turned up in three different threads I’ve been following on these forums, so I guess he’s a pretty big deal that’s passed me by. All the same, I do hate to hear of someone as young as he is being given a terminal diagnosis and I hope he’s able to pull through. Not that he’ll read this, I imagine, but he’s getting all the good vibes I can muster all the same.

The response online is pretty huge. Aside from the gaming press in general, he’s a huge deal to the WoW, SC2, Hearthstone, and other communities through his career as a shoutcaster, and there’s been huge threads all over in his honor, lots of people organizing donations or tournaments in his honor. Pretty cool to see, TBH :)

Sad news, I’m sorry to hear this.

His videos are always watchable and he doesn’t pull any punches in reviews. He’s given to dry, British irony, delivered in a friendly way (he’s like “one of the lads”).

It is indeed a sad thing to hear.

Well goddamn. Knew it was almost inevitable, but he has fought crazy hard up to this point.

Damn it. I haven’t seen much of his content, but years ago I did watch an entire series of videos he did for Tribes: Ascend and enjoyed them quite a bit.

I have two family members that were each diagnosed with lung cancer in the last year, and hearing what they’ve been going through since their diagnoses has given me more insight into this disease than I’ve ever wanted. And TB is so young too. It’s terrible to imagine being in a situation where your only hope for survival is a clinical trial.

Yeah I saw his post earlier today, didn’t have time to mention it on here. Cancer sucks.

This sucks. I know some people have had their issues with TB over the years, but I’ve always liked him since his early days and when he was active in Planetside 2. One of my fondest PS2 memories was the first Ultimate Empire Showdown when my outfit fought against his. It was a blast, and he was hilarious on the stream throughout the event.

My sincere sympathy goes out to TB and his family, and I will be sending positive thoughts and hope his way that the clinical trial produces the desired outcome. It seems like we are forever just on the cusp of being able to beat various forms of cancer…the day that we finally reach that goal can’t come soon enough.

Yikes. Had been curious as to where this all went but kind of fell out of touch with it. Sad to see it’s gotten to this point, but I’m glad to see he’s fighting and is in a clinical trial.

— Alan