Saints Row - Rebooted!

Man, I am so glad I held off on this. I was literally hovering over the pre-order yesterday. Whew!

Yeah, same here. The only reason I didn’t pre-order is that the pre-order incentive just seem like a couple of cosmetic items, which I don’t care about. But I was 100% sure that i was getting this tomorrow when it came out.

Guess I’m saving some dollarydoos. Only thing that bugs me elsewhere on the interwebs are the people that are happy that the franchise is likely dead now. Not sure why Saints Row’s existence bothers people but apparently it does.

People do be strange.

I’ll fully admit I haven’t really been following this game, but I always thought that Saint’s Row didn’t really come into its own until it fully embraced absurdity - like the opening mission in 3 where you fight your way out of a jetliner, then leap out without a parachute so you could steal one from another guy, then landing and continuing to fight your way to your headquarters. Or whatever the heck was going on with 4, with its Matrix-meets-Independence Day thing going on. But from reading about this one, it seems like they’re going back to basics, which to me is bargain basement GTA. And then not doing that terribly well, apparently … just looks like a waste of everybody’s time and effort.

The Eurogamer review is pretty positive, by contrast, to that one from Ars.

She praises the shooting and driving mechanics, in particular. Hmmmm.

Nothing to do with her review, she seemed to enjoy it, but her opening statement, her thesis, is “It takes guts to reboot something, doesn’t it?”

Umm, no. Movies, TV, and videogames are rebooted all the time. It takes guts to develop a new unproven property. Rebooting a known IP is the polar opposite of that.

Wow. This thing seems like a barking dog of a game. With fleas.

They really had no choice but to reboot. If not an explicit reboot, then at least a “soft” reboot that at least somehow rewinds time or otherwise negates the state of the timeline where IV ended.

They sort of did. I mean, Gat out of Hell led to the world that ‘Agents of Mayhem’ was in.

Sure, I never played 4 but I read some stuff about the Saints becoming President of the world, achieving apotheosis and ascending to godhood, and then going to Hell and taking Beezelbub’s throne, so it’s tough to go anywhere from there. I have nothing against reboots in particular just that author saying reboots take courage, which is simply asinine.

I was disappointed at the announcement of a SR game, i thought they already did as much as they could with a GTA game. Volition never had the best games, but they always had good games, even Agents of Mayhem was good for what it was (and different than most open world games). Ive watched some SR gameplay and it looks like a reskin of SR3 in Las Vegas. I always wished they went back to an RPG or a sim game ala Summoner or Freespace… but oh well. They need to work on something new or different.

Ever since they’ve been taken over by Deep Silver… eh, so many older 90s developers seem to be burnt out.

Im not sure they wanted to do SR btw, the game itself seems very uninspired… even gat out of hell and Agents, with same engine and graphics and gameplay, seemed more effort. I cant completely judge, i need to play to see how it is.

Freespace 2 enters the chat

Oh yeah that is a GREAT Game! But thats like TWENTY YEARS OLD! Would you say Descent is a great volition game? omg so much nostalgia …

Is this a trick question?

No, I consider it a great game. But some might not think it is. I played more Descent than Doom at the time.

I should have not worded Volition as just good games, i do know thye make great games but its been awhile for the really great ones. i actually liked them more than most studios since they are one of the rare studios in my state (illinois). actually red faction guerilla is a great game too!

Hah excellent, I was worried for a moment.

For my personal tastes, Volition has made some of the best games of all time, as well as some of the bafflingly mediocre games of all time.

Best:
Descent, Descent 2
Freespace 2
Saints Row IV

Good:
Saints Row
Saints Row 2

Really Good:
Red Faction Guerrilla
Descent: Freespace The Great War

Bafflingly mediocre:
Freespace expansion Silent Threat
Summoner
Red Faction
Red Faction II
Red Faction Armaggedon

I haven’t played:
Summoner 2
Saints Row: The Third
Saints Row IV: Gat out of hell
Agents of Mayhem
Saints Row 2022

These are also top-tier, and you should play them.

I love me some open world, but the trailers just didn’t grab me here so I was waiting on impressions. I trust the Qt3 hivemind more than I trust modern web professional reviewers (who are no Robert Coffeys or Jeff Greens or Gary Whittas and get off my lawn!) so I’m gonna hold off to see what those of you who just can’t resist buying anyway think.

In the meantime, I’ve never finished a SR game, so I’ll take this opportunity to do that. I own them all – should I bother with the original (which I think I have on Steam) or just jump to SR 2?

Start with 2 at the earliest. If you’re playing on PC start with 3 - the PC port of 2 is pretty bad (and 1 was 360 exclusive).