Satisfactory: 3D Factorio by the makers of Sanctum

I don’t know. Never had performance issues in Satisfactory that I could really compare against.

That’s too bad! I haven’t had it crash at all but it seems to not be managing the vram well and changing the graphics settings or respawning seems to just tank the performance to the point of making the game unplayable.

Going to pick this up while it’s on the Steam sale at 45% off. Enjoyed Factorio and Dyson Sphere Program so hopefully I should like this too.

I’ve personally gotten more time out of Satisfactory than the other two combined. Granted, I’ve not been able to get into DSP after two tries. Same basic premise, of course, but the terrain has personality and will very much affect your builds. And of course the verticality options are different too.

Having fun so far, but I’d be lost without playing along with a Youtube guide to get started.

I recommend Nilaus

OK, thanks. Will look for him.

For some reason M won’t open my map. No idea why.

Edit - Never mind. Looks like I have to research it first.

I finished my last game and got my gold coffee mug. Then I built this and set up six (uranium) nuclear plants (all waste sunk) up top so I could rebuild all other production underneath in one happy, ordered location. Just like God wants me to do.

But then the new update came out so I decided to start over. Such is life. Maybe I will build it again!

Anyway this is what I am doing now in the same location:

Yes! I do take pictures of my monitor with my cell phone. :D

Most impressive! I have yet to install Satisfactory, so I am living vicariously through others posts. :)

That’s beautiful!
I’m scared to start the game though I’ve owned it since it first released. Do you think I’d get burned out on it if I did a long in-depth playthrough?

Thanks!

I’d give the game a try and get as far as you can. Your first playthrough is going to be a mess and you probably won’t finish because you’re likely to build yourself into a corner. No big deal! That’s how my first playthrough went. Put about 75 hours into that one.

Then I took a year off and came back to it. My second game was MUCH better and while I also did not complete it, after 400 hours I was proud of my work.

A few months later there was an update and I played it again. 700 hours in and… I finished Tier 8, sent the final payload up the space elevator and got my gold coffee mug. The designs showed significant improvement.

The first picture I posted was my previous game which clocked in around 800 hours and I also had a friend play with me. It is a game changer. We got our gold mugs. But play solo first!! More brains equals more problems and frankly you both want to have some experience because you will need to know your strengths and weaknesses. That way you can establish a good division of labor.

My current game is about 150 hours in. The same friend is also playing, plus my wife. We are running a significantly faster pace with higher efficiency and higher outputs. We’ve intentionally slowed our progression to really get things right. I am very proud of what we have done so far.

So give it a go. Play alone first and get as far as you can. When you feel the burnout or the helplessness of tweaking variables that no longer want to cooperate, stop playing. No shame. Abandon the game and take a break. If you like what you have played and have a desire for improvement, you will come back. And you will have goals/improvements in mind.

Each game I played, I set a goal to improve my design. First was learning conveyors and how they interface with production overclocking. Then I needed to learn how the pipes work… just read this (PDF). I printed a copy, which helped. After that I studied up on power production and proper ratios, then the value of overflow sinking, the usefulness of building roads, then I had to re-learn pipes again from that PDF because I needed to use the advanced setups… this time I am trying to wrangle the train mechanics to fully take advantage of switching and stoppages in a larger railway network.

I mean I find it fun. Maybe you will, too! Good luck! Ask questions as they come up. And stay hydrated and remember to blink. :D

Can you elaborate on this a bit? I’m not sure how one builds themself into a corner in this game when you always can get the starting tools back and do manual harvesting? Worst comes to worst you move to another part of the map and start a new factory.

I think you’ll be fine even if there seemingly isn’t much more to add before 1.0. The big feature left are the couple of currently useless resources that are supposed to be involved in whatever story goes in.

Regardless, you can do another playthrough another time with a different start across the map and have that early game feel pretty different.

It is mostly a matter of how patient you are. If you have several dozen production lines all strung together with a spaghetti mess of belts and power cables and walkways and power needs and bottlenecks and then the power goes out… hoo boy. Untangling that ball can be a real hassle. We are talking days, not hours.

Keeping your builds organized requires a good amount of discipline which is unlikely to be obtained when you are learning everything.

My best advice for your first game is this: acquire foundations ASAP and then use them. Build a nice flat space and spread stuff out. Basically rebuild everything you have made up to then on your nice flat canvas (it isn’t terribly far into the game), then erase your unorganized mess and reclaim those materials!

And make CERTAIN you buy ladders and the wall-mounted power connectors from the Awesome Shop with your tickets.

Even with foundations and a plan, you may find yourself getting lazy. It happens. But be mindful.

Thanks! Do they have a rough estimate on 1.0?

They do not.

To the point joke release dates (e.g., February 30th) for updates and such are now a running gag for the studio.

Oh here is another fun one. Build some weapons, fill your inventory an assortment of goods and go Hard Drive hunting.

With the right alternate recipes you can remove screws entirely from your production lines. Which is just… great.

My favorite part of this game is seeing how other people build. I firmly believe that Satisfactory is a window into our minds. The factories we make are a personification of how our brains are wired at a fundamental level.

Do we know if they are planning an update 9 prior to release or was update 8 it? Just not sure what update 9 would be other than a big QoL update.

As per my previous note about release date running gags: It’s coming before Update 8:

So, yeah. They ain’t sayin’ nuthin’ about dates until there’s virtually zero chance it could change.

I’ll probably break down and buy this game sometime near release. I gather it actually will have a story with an ending by release? I don’t insist on having an end goal in games like this – I love KSP, for example – but a goal is nice.

Yes, it is supposed to have some kind of story something in the 1.0 release.