Saturday Night Live: Season 342343414

Good? Really? Which skit was that? I’m glad she’s gone. Same with the other one. It’s about time they start pruning the weeds early on instead of giving them 5 seasons before the cut. Maybe it’s just that every other female pales in comparison to Kristen Wig.

Once again…could not disagree more.

Sorry, I’m not actually trying to start a flamewar. I understand that some people like her a lot, and I understand the appeal at times (I think she’s a great straight-man), I just don’t like the characters where she takes an annoying noise and then repeats it over and over…which is a lot of them.

I love Kristen Wiig. She’s an extremely funny person. But you don’t seem to realize that in her first two seasons on the show, she was an underutilized stinker who was every bit as unpopular as the ‘weeds’ that you feel need ‘pruning’. Her two big things were Random Dead Celebrity On the Vincent Price Show and the Target Lady, two unfunny skits that they’re still beating into the ground. Wiig’s one funny regular character was as one half of the Two A-holes.

I like Kristen Wiig a lot too. She showed she was good right from the beginning. The one that’s missing for her though is any good regular characters. I hated the Target lady after the first skit, the Two A-holes are good, but that got a little tiresome after a while too. She’s much funnier and better in just regular sketches, and has been from the beginning. Heck, I can’t think of too many regular characters in SNL that have been good since Wayne’s World.

Kristen Wiig was pretty good in the SpikeTV reality show, The Joe Schmo Show, several years ago. Her fake reality contestant character was a Dr. Phil-esque marriage counselor that got loopier as the season went on.

…holy crap. I had no idea!

And here I was proud of myself for recognizing TJ the Playah from season 2 on Castle.

Oh shit, I knew I’d seen that guy somewhere before on tv.

So, last week’s with Ryan Reynolds was pretty funny, I thought. But this week? Holy shit. The opening sketch in the classroom with Gilli and Gigli was agonizingly bad. No redeeming qualities at all, and it seemed like Gilli was a recurring character? HOW?

Yep. And WTF is up with Armisen’s Obama this season? He never had the voice, but at least before he had the cadence. He’s not even trying any more.

Yeah, I noticed that as well. He did sort of pick it up at the end when he went to throw to the opening, but the majority of it was just… Fred Armisen. I missed most of the opening for the Ryan Reynold’s week, so I had to just assume he was playing Obama because of the haircut

Kristin Wiig’s Judy Grimes is hilarious. Her character where she was the reporter and did the live interviews and was inappropriate with the interviewees…damn cannot remember. She does not have a huge hit character, but I think most of the one’s she does are different from one another and have her own original tweaks. She saves some skits that would completely fall flat with others. They just need to qrite more for her.

The Transformers short from the first episode cracked me up.

It’s always interesting to see other people’s reactions to SNL to be able to compare with my own.

I liked the Drew Barrymore episode. It wasn’t an insta-classic or anything, but I felt it was a good, solid episode, and the best of this season (which isn’t saying much).

The opener with Obama was interesting, because that came out what, Thursday night / Friday morning? They couldn’t have had long to work on it. I also thought Weekend update’s take on it was better. seems like they might’ve had something else planned to open with and just couldn’t ignore the Nobel Prize thing.

Gilli / Gigli was terrible. It was a perfect illustration of why I don’t like sketches where Wiig’s the main lead. She can be good, but I feel like the writers just never know how to handle her, and just have her do a weird face and repeat a sound over and over. Either that or she requests those roles, which is probably worse. Update was very good, and the A&E Biography bit was great (Ray Parker Jr.). Also, while I can’t defend it, I like Tommy Verdercci. I also enjoyed the billiards / ESPN2 sketch, but that was at least partially because I was thinking about Best In Show the whole time (“How much do you think I can bench press?”).

I didn’t mind the rest of the episode, my reaction was mostly due to that opener, which was awful. It’s bizarre that they would have something that bad as the first sketch after the open.

I thought this was the single worst skit in the history of the SNL episodes I have watched (several hundred). It was abysmal, idiotic, unwatchable, not even the slightest bit funny. We turned it off about 2/3 of the way through in disgust, and I have no real desire to watch SNL anymore at this point.

If you’re referring to the entire episode, I can’t agree with you.

If you’re referring to the Gilly sketch individually, I more or less agree, although it wasn’t any worse than seeing the Nuni-Nuni sketch for the 5th time. DVR is pretty vital to my continued ability to watch SNL, I can easily skip through sketches that clearly aren’t going anywhere, or musical bits that make me want to die.

It’s worth it for the occasional gem, although youtube makes that less important these days. I think Lady Gaga’s second musical number was one of the greatest things I’ve seen on TV in years (note: not for the music, if you haven’t seen it, you really should).

Seriously, has anyone ever treated the SNL audience like an audience before? My opinion of her skyrocketed after seeing that.

Yeah…I sort of loved it from an Ashlee Simpson train-wreck angle.

But your way works too, I guess.

I’m not a fan of Lady Gaga, but I’m a fan of turning down the sound and fast-forwarding to the more interesting parts of her performance.

Additionally, the boy inside me that grew up in the 80s had a hard time controlling himself during the kissing scene with Madonna.

Well the gyroscope interfering with her sitting down was funny, and I was waiting for one of the greasy-fingerprint-covered rings to crack her on the head. But the actual performance was impressive - unlike Ashlee, she was really singing and really playing the piano, and she’s pretty good.

I wasn’t a fan of the Lady Gaga performance, but at least she can sing. The same can’t be said of Regina Spektor, who must use a LOT of pitch correction on her recordings. To her credit, at least we know she didn’t lip-synch.