Sea of Thieves!

I don’t really mind the PvP aspect. It’d be nice if there were safe zones, PvP flags, etc, but I’m not too concerned.

The thing that bugs me is the lack of invite/friends-only ships, and no drop-in/drop-out. If your friend fires up the game 30 minutes later, you have to exit to the main menu and launch a new ship. That’s a big drag for those of us whose gaming time is unpredictable.

That’s one of my bug bears too. For a multilayer game that’s great to spend time in with friends, it’s a major annoyance. I guess it does have to do with you being allocated to a ship of the size you requested when logging in. But there really should be a seamless way to invite a friend. Though would that mean having to bump off someone else?

This is a great discussion you guys are having. I do think it’s going to be pretty important to know what to expect when deciding whether to buy the game, and I get the folks who don’t see enough there to sustain their interest, or don’t feel it justifies full price.

But I’ve had some seriously cool moments, like some of the other posters mentioned, a lot of them with complete strangers. I remember my first time jumping in with a gang of brits, all of us working out how to make the damn boat just go. I agree with folks that a tutorial would be valuable, but it was kind of fun just working stuff out for ourselves too. Can’t wait to try this with friends.

You ought to be able to set sail on a private ship without a full crew. So you’ve got open spots. I realize it’s complicated, but it seems like the most basic required functionality for a multiplayer game.

BTW, I’m not against ever playing w/ random folks, but if I actually have time to play, I’d rather reserve it to play w/ friends.

That would be a great outcome for me since I love No Man’s Sky now.

I played a bit with my brother over the weekend. At this point, I think my only problem is the assholes who just sail by, sink your ship and sail away while you’re on an island mucking about, and then no way to spawn a new ship. I’m fine with PvP piracy, but general assholery is something they should try to discourage.

The drop-in co-op thing, as well as having a sloop with three people would be nice, too.

A ghost will appear in the water with a smoke signal who will teleport you to a new ship.

When I tried that, it was all the way back at an outpost, and trying to sail a galleon back to the island to pick up your friends by yourself was a pain. Did you have a different result?

Is there any way to get on the same instance as a friend without being in a crew. Say, I don’t want to be part of my friend’s crew but do want to be on the same server/instance so I can try and hunt him down and battle in our separate ships. Don’t see how to do that.

That sounds pretty fun! Makes me wonder if there might be a bounty system in the future.

And if so, will there be mutiny on it?

Good one!

A bounty system might be pretty cool. The more you, or anyone on your team, attack other players’ stuff (them, their boats,etc), the more you all get a price on your head (attacking people with a bounty is free, though). When you die, you drop a chest worth that amount. Escalating hilarity ensues.

I don’t know about drop in/out, but you should be pleased by this tidbit from today’s Mixer stream:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Seaofthieves/comments/84ey6f/livestream_summary_and_discussion_thread/

• private crew option (not allowing others to join) confirmed

The stream is being rebroadcast here, I believe:

And here is the video that played at the start of the stream:

Not much new here for anyone who has played the beta. It’s just a general intro to the game. It does show the new golden skeletons though.

Wendelius

Good news!

The launch trailer shows off yet another type of skeleton and teases a Kraken attack. The ink spreading on the surface of the water is going to be one scary sight…

We have achievements!

These are pretty good:

The Facebook page also shows great background images to go with them.

I love that they presented them as riddles. Rare is awesome.

I finally had a few moments to watch that hype stream. Unfortunately, private parties won’t available at launch, but is intended to be added shortly thereafter.

It actually goes one-better in that you will be able to have friends drop-in/drop-out. You can set sail on a Galleon or multiplayer sloop by yourself or with a short-handed crew and the ship is private. Then when your friends come online they can join you in-progress. You don’t have to all gather at launch to set sail. Further if friends leave, and you have open slots, you can invite other friends, or choose to hop on the menu and open the slots to the public.

All in all, that’s great, and exactly what I’d wanted. Hopefully it won’t take long for those party features to be patched in.

Oh that’s great to hear!

Folks, as a PC owner without an Xbox, what’s the cheapest and most reliable way of getting the game? I don’t object to buying through the MS Store but if I can save £10+ then I will! Should I buy the Xbox version knowing it’s cross-buy?

Sadly, I paid the full monty on the Windows store. Other than paying the full price, the Windows Store worked well, and was painless. I’m an old-school Games For Windows h8r, but the current iteration of the Windows store seems fine.

I don’t know if you can buy the Xbox disc and just register a code, or if you have to load it and link it on an Xbox to get the Play Anywhere feature? Maybe someone w/ an Xbox can illuminate.

The absolute cheapest is to pay for the $10/month Game Pass. Assuming your interest will wane before you’ve shelled out the full price.