Sea of Thieves!

Competitive treasure hunting is coming to Sea of Thieves

Oh hey, this sounds cool. I really haven’t played this in some time, quests might get me back into it.

I’m pretty much in, ah, the same boat. So to speak. Thanks for the heads-up, sounds cool.

I’ve had a hankering to jump back into this so any and all new content that isn’t based entirely on whether you can hook up with other crews is welcome.

I had to post this link because it sounds a little crazy to me - they’re patching in a decrease to the install size of the game on all platforms.

Yeah it’s pretty cool. Same thing happened recently to Warframe, Gears of War 4, and others. Seems like some new Unreal Engine tech is enabling developers to compress assets more efficiently and such.

picked this up while on sale and it’s fun!

One thing though - we do a few quests and then this pirate ghost ship shows up. We unloaded all our cannon balls into it and it had to run when we ran out. I’m guessing these ships are unbeatable and you should just run?

One time (this happened multiple times today while playing), they chased us to the outpost, we unloaded and sold our chests, but in the meantime, this pirate ship beached itself. I foolishly thought “what a great time to board” and the pirates were all decked out in gold plating armor. I died pretty quick.

Not sure what to do with these ships. Any hints?

Those are npc skelly ships.

They take a fair amont of balls to sink and will chase you forever pretty much. The roamers will leave you alone unless you agro them, the ones that rise on you will chase and attack.

The skellys will patch holes but not bail water so it can be long fight. If you can’t hit below water line shots (due to waves, angle, etc) on them, don’t bother shooting.

There are more advanced strategies to deal with them with kegs, ramming, boarding, etc.

The skellys cam spawn in all their flavors, golden, plants, shadows. All have their strengths and weaknesses.

They drop loot when sunk, can take a while to float up.

Thanks! Now I know the term to search for.

Found a good guide on how to take them out. It seems there is not only the single skeleton ship that attacks you but you can also seek out an event with up to 8 of the ships! The article recommends at least 300 cannonballs. Wholly smokes we rarely start out with over 50.

I too got this game on sale, and had my first multiplayer play session with randoms. I thought it was a lot of fun. We took down a kraken but had to bail on some of the loot because a ghost ship was closing in on us.
The internet strangers were really nice and helpful.
Pretty fun but I’m not sure what the connective tissue is between play sessions yet. I guess I’ll find out tonight.

Sounds like you found an older guide.

With a recent update they toned down the skelly ships quite a bit. When heading to a skelly fleet event (ship cloud) you really don’t need more than 150 balls anymore. Even less if you stop at a fort and grab some kegs on the way.

Keg each ship that spawns + a few cannon balls and you are good to go. Even better if the person kegging stays alive to defend holes as long as possible.

As mentioned there are more advanced strategies with ramming/bailing water into them to speed things up.

Last night we tried to get 2 other player ships, but they just run away & drop people in the water who board our ship. We just killed them when they climbed the ladder. It was frustrating because we could never seem to gain any ground and it turned into a snoozefest.

I tried launching myself with a cannon to get some experience, but never got close enough to board. When our ship was going by, I tried to hook on (pressing F when close to the side of the ship), but it just went right on by. Not sure what the trick is to boarding a moving ship. More practice!

We also got attacked several times by a huge shark. We put a lot of cannon balls into it, but in the end, it still attacked us & put several holes in our ship we had to repair, but then it leaves after it takes a big bite.

Leaked event incoming.

“Are you a lonely pirate? Do you long for a crewmate (or three) to join your piratical exploits? Fear no more, solitary swashbuckler! For one week only, you can invite up to three friends to set sail with you on the Sea of Thieves – completely free! Don’t miss Friends Play Free, running from February 6th–13th. Simply head over to our website and redeem your codes now

https://mspoweruser.com/sea-of-thieves-wont-charge-you-to-play-with-your-friends-for-a-limited-time/amp/

Boarding and defending against boarding is a complex game. You will get better at both with practice.

The meg attacks are random. Each type takes 15 to 20 cannon balls to kill, loot takes a bit to float up. They will stop chasing if you get close to any island. If you want to fight it, best to drop anchor and duke it out.

Yeah, just announced on Inside Xbox.

Sea of Thieves 1-year Anniversary update.

Paging @lordkosc, Sea of Thieves will soon have fishing in it and even larger beast hunting with harpoons. (I think you are the QT3 resident fishing enthusiast in games right?)

Nah, I’m pretty sure that’s @kerzain.

I do enjoy games with fishing, and also making Tom play games with fishing on Request Wednesdays. :)

no

Another trailer for the single player campaign, Tall Tales, that will be included in the April 30 anniversary update.