Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (topic now 200% easier to find)

Sekiro has the clearest plot of any Souls game,.I think. Except maybe Demon’s Souls.

Demon’s Souls has a clear plot?

Yup that’s what I love about all their games. There’s some vague story, but otherwise unlocking shortcuts and beating bosses is always the priority. I didn’t give this game a fair shot when it came out. If it goes on sale in the winter sale I’ll certainly pick it up. So far I really kind of bounce off their non Dark Souls games.

Bloodborne my main issue was always the performance. I wish they would release it on the PC. Even locked 60fps would be fine with me. Doesn’t seem like that will ever happen.

It’s pretty clear. King Allant fucked with soul power, the Old One arose and blanketed the world in fog, you wandered in and were given the task of putting it back to bed (or not). There is of course a lot else going on, but it’s sure a lot clearer from the outset than, “people are turning into zombies, ring some bells” like Dark Souls, and let’s not even get started on Bloodborne.

Bloodborne is not complicated at all, it can be easily summarized on 100+ pages

Yes, I’ve read the whole thing! Admirable, although a bit “forest for the trees,” in my opinion, and not at all “the last word,” which I don’t think is possible. I wonder how much of From storytelling is Miyazaki and how much, well, everybody there. It’s the best stuff in gaming, as far as I’m concerned, up there with Lynch and Wolfe in terms of narrative delivery and ambiguity.

I’d agree with this. Just my relationship with little Lord Kuro is enough for me to keep the narrative more or less on track. Plus some clear family relationships and a coherent locale. It’s very, very cool how the exploration areas are laid out before you in the distance.

I also think those who read a lot of genre fiction might have a better grasp of the kind of invented terminology in a game like this where for me it often flies through my brain as gobbledygook. Still, it’s rich and appealing gobbledygook, not dumb gobbledygook like we often get.

So for the last couple nights I’ve been working on the second Lord Genichiro fight. This feels like it could be the final boss battle but you never know. Nioh 2 kept going and going. I gotta say, I like very much how his grandfather enters the arena. Gruesome. It’s a tough fight and grand-dad has three dots so I might be at this for a while.

He’s vicious and fast and he will slice me right the fuck up if I’m not careful, but he also leaves plenty of openings so he doesn’t feel entirely unbeatable… I just hope he doesn’t turn into some monstrous lightning freak or whatever cuz I’ll wet my nice gaming PJ’s.

Haha, oh boy.

Woof. This might take some doing.

I HAVE COMPLETED SEKIRO!

IT’S THE FIRST FROMSOFT GAME I’VE EVER FINISHED!

Damn, I can’t believe it. My life is complete.

I got the Immortal Severance ending. Pretty cool way to wrap things up.

Congrats @rrmorton that’s an awesome achievement. Thanks for bringing us along for the ride!

OH MY GOD YOU KILLED KURO!! I hope you live with that child murder guilt for the rest of your life as it did to Wolf whom… Did it occur to you where did the Sculptor go and why your Wolf took his place?

Congrats to @rrmorton.

I wish I’d grabbed this on the last sale when it hit $30 for the first time on the last Xbox sale. But this Black Friday sale, it’s once again at the usual sale price of $39. I was ready for it, I think!

Oh well. Mortal Shell is coming this week. That will have be my Soulsborne hit for now.

You’re in luck! Inflation topped 6% last month. You’re actually saving money by buying it now at $39!

It’s finally on sale again. I did buy and refund it last time as I wasn’t in the mindset to give it a fair shot. I’m going to grab it for sure, but won’t be able to try it until this weekend.

I picked this up and poked around but the first ‘boss’ beat me silly. So refunded for now, while I look for something more relaxing and holiday-like :)

Are you talking about at the end of the tunnel, in the field of white flowers?

Er, not sure. I have the prosthetic, have grappled a little way forward, fought maybe half a dozen soldiers and 3 wolves, then immediately after the wolves some large gentlemen kicked my face in.

I did the same thing back when it came out… got to the first boss encounter and refunded it. A couple years later I went back and stuck with it to the end. May the spirits of our ancestors and the winds of history be with you on this journey from shame to glory.

Oh yes. Was just wondering if you’d made it out of tutorial land, because you basically have to lose that first “boss” fight (although it’s possible to sort of win!). The guy you are talking about, General Somebody, is a miniboss but quite tough.