Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (topic now 200% easier to find)

Looks like I picked a bad day to try to get back into Sekiro. I can’t log into their server.

What does logging in give me, btw? Is it like the Souls games where you can see messages and ghosts?

Yeah, there are death ghosts and I think messages although it’s been long enough I can’t remember the second one with conviction.

I got killed quickly by a dude, so I think “no problem, I’ll try a few more times and kick this guy’s ass”. But no, he defeated me and claimed his prize in the ensuing cutscene.

Damn it. I’m such a failure.

So, for the first time in a From game since the original Demon’s Souls, I have no clue what’s going on and if I’m missing game mechanics or what.

Is there a website I can go to that’s a good one to learn about the mechanics and the world?

Like I found a guy who sells stuff, but the stuff he sells isn’t the “offerings” he says he sells for the dead. Instead he sells pellets, which are slow healing items, and a distraction thingie and a damage debuff for enemies, I think.

Also, when enemies die, they seem to have coins or something glowing on their bodies. Am I supposed to collect that somehow? Is that the currency that the guy wants for “offerings”?

So confused.

You vacuum up the coins by holding… E? on PC I think.

Aha! I knew there had to be a way to pick those up! Thanks. I’ll try various buttons.

Oh, man, Steam has Sekiro for 50% off and I just beat Elden Ring this weekend so I’m feeling cocky. But having watched quite a few YT videos of the game, the need to time those deflects is a dramatically different gameplay than me hiding behind my shield in ER. But still tempting to buy.

Yesterday I beat Elden Ring and half and hour later Sekiro is 50%.

These divine signs can’t be ignored.

Yeah, I’ve noticed this sale too and am very tempted. I’m just worried it’s too fast paced.

It’s so good. I’m gonna reinstall it right now.

It’s amazing. I’m gonna uninstall it then reinstall it but not play it cuz I’m hooked on Tainted Grail.

So is combat too fast for someone who has trouble with the fast bosses in Dark Souls? I beat DS 1-3 and Bloodbourne, but I can struggle with the faster bosses.

I also just finished ER and Sekiro is lined up nicely for my next game. I’m pretty sure this one might be a bit tough for me, but that’s exactly what I thought before playing DS1 for the first time last year and totally falling in love with it and its sequels and Demons Souls and Bloodborne

Are you able to summon other players in Sekiro to help with tougher bosses?

Sekiro is a pure single player game. No messages, no other players.

It pretends there’s an online mode, but then it says you can’t connect to any server, so you’re forced to start offline. Which is a strange way to do it. I guess maybe they had plans for an online mode at one point?

I gave up on ever beating Dark Souls, but managed to power my way through Sekiro.

I’ve never quite gotten parrying down in the Souls games but had no problems parrying in Sekiro. Seems like it is a bit more forgiving.

I think there’s some problem with your system, because can I play online. Read online as only messages and “phantoms” (you can see other players actions), as far as I know, there is no summons.

Huh. I’ve never been able to connect to a server on Series X. No problems with any other games. Maybe the Xbox servers are no longer online?

I’m on PC and as said no problems at all, maybe someone playing on Series X could be more helpful.