Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (topic now 200% easier to find)

I was experiencing severe FPS drops on my fancy new gaming laptop (like hitting a 20 frames ceiling) regardless of the settings I used, but after disconnecting the HDMI cable connecting my setup to my TV, it runs like a dream at max. Quite a sweet departure for From so far! You have to learn to be comfortable with parrying from the outset, which is pretty challenging.

I rarely ever use parrying in games, always preferring the dodge and attack and save and reload approach. We’ll see if Sekiro can make it feel fun for me or if it’s a refunding I will go.

I’ll be watching Jm’s stream on this for sure~! But I think Tom will kill guys on his Friday night.

Sadly, I’m a bit too tired to stream tonight. I’ll stream tomorrow afternoon after work for sure

I’m parrying the hell out of these balding Japanese men.

I had a weird issue where my Xbox Elite controller right stick was defaulted to “joystick mouse”. It made an annoying jitter when I moved the camera. I changed it to “joystick move” and it’s fine now. I don’t know if the game did that or it’s been screwed up like that for a while in my settings.

Lots of people are reporting controller problems. Check the Steam forums if something’s not right.

Bed time now!

Darn it wish I had realized it went live. I just assumed it was noon tomorrow. Oh well.

I played for 90 minutes… it’s moody and thrilling and fun to grapple around but the difficulty is ramping up in a most intimidating fashion. I died again and again. For now, bed. Tomorrow, I figure some shit out.

I played just enough of this to know that I’m going to be sticking with Devil May Cry 5.

-Tom

what happened? you okay?

Woah you can’t just drop a bomb like that without explaining what’s going on. Tell us more.

The idea that someone who was able to learn the 'Souls approach now has to re-calibrate…inconceivable.

Pfff, it is common knowledge that Tom didn’t care for Dark Souls. He can be likened to one of those Sony America people who rejected the game (in this case Demon’s Souls) out of hand.

There probably isn’t much to explain - it’s a super hard game, and demands exacting reflexes. It’s what I’ve been expressing as my own personal concern for months now. I picked it up anyway, and I hope I get more than a few hours out of it like Tom did, but there is a pretty good chance I’ll never even get very far in this.

Unless he has a completely other reason to not want to play it, in which case yes, he probably should have elaborated. :)

I think its obvious, Tom doesn’t like games with swords. :)

The combat is super easy and satisfying at first but it quickly becomes overwhelming. I’m still doing okay, and I assume it will get easier as I get used to it. Just a warning not to be alarmed.

Oh, yikes, I didn’t mean that to come across as any sort of critical evaluation. It’s just that it’s too hardcore for me. It obviously wants me to git gud, and I don’t have much interest in that kind of demanding gameplay when I could be playing a breezier brawler that meets me halfway. In which I get a pet demon panther. And a set of magical robot arms (you only get one magical robot arm in Sekiro). And a crazyhot chick with a STEM career and a van and a godawful attempt at some accent or another. And no meaningful pushback until I’m ready for it.

But I’m sure Sekiro will be really cool for people with the patience to learn it. I don’t doubt From Software knows how to put together one heck of a brawler. It’s certainly, um, earnest.

-Tom

I mean, you may have just sold me on DMC 5.

In Sekiro news, I managed to complete the tutorial area without dying, which impressed me at least. I really haven’t found the timing on the parries/deflection to be too bad - in fact it seems to be okay with me tapping the block button a little if I do it wrong for a second? Very forgiving, at least in the first zone against the starting enemies. The big boss you have to fight, in Nioh’s tutorial area, I couldn’t beat 10 times in a row and nearly gave up then and there (with Nioh, I would shortly after though), but here I beat that tutorial “boss” fight right away, and it was fucking awesome to boot. I think I’m in love.