Sentinels of the Multiverse Play by Forum: Season 3

Good to hear. I hope others not playing in the game see how awesome it is and want to dive in for a copy of their own! If this goes well, I’d love to run more games.

That is a great run down Jay, thanks! And the pictures are fantastic. I’d say if you even want to try squeezing all the villain cards into one picture from here on out (maybe two rows?), I should be able to read the text well enough to know what’s going on.

Rule question…the one thing I didn’t quite grasp from my one game of SotM, do we need to set a hero play order? Is it set for the game, or just for the turn?

I’ll let you know as soon as Jay tells me what my hand is. :)

The game play order is always villain first, then heroes in any order (but that order is then kept for the rest of the game) and finally the environment. In our game it will always be:

Grand Warlord Voss
Legacy
Tempest
Wraith
Bunker
Ra
Wagner Mars Base

So Gedd can make decisions, here is his hand, also remember that Ra’s default Power is: Deal 1 target 2 fire damage.

And just a couple of final notes before I run Legacy, Voss is now at -13 damage taken (-2 for each minion and -1 for the buff from Gene-bound guard). Each minion is at -1 damage taken due to the guard. Finally, we all do one less damage against everything because of Voss’s advanced mode bonus.

Thanks! So discussing options, I don’t have any AoE this turn, but I can play Imbued Fire, which, as I understand, will turn everyone’s damage into Fire type and thereby increase all our damage by 1. That will balance out the -1 damage from the guard once I play it. It won’t help the rest of the team this turn because I’m last, but will come into effect for me. I’ll then be able to nuke a minion for 2 (+1 -1), which means I can’t kill one on my own, but I can finish one off.

I already know how awesome the game is and have my own copy. And I still think this is super awesome to watch unfold. You are doing a God’s work jaygittings.

Also, props to the sidekick app team. They have done a fantastic job since I last looked at it as it really brings the forum game alive with some serious pop factor. I can’t wait until forum games are played via their full game app.

Thanks Chaplin, and yeah, I love the sidekick app. You’ve got the gist of it Gedd and Legacy is about to balance things out a bit.

Round 1: Legacy

Legacy sees the team begin to whither under the assault of Voss’s front line. “For freedom!”, he shouts, immediately inspiring the other heroes. Galvanized to renew their assault, the heroes press forward.

Legacy is playing Inspiring Presence, an Ongoing Limited card that immediately grants all hero targets 1 additional hp (can’t go over your maximum). It also grants all heroes +1 to damage dealt (effectively neutralizing Voss’s advanced power for now).

Legacy then uses his Galvanize power, which grants all heroes +1 to damage dealt until Legacy’s next turn. So for all you out there, the net benefit is +1 to everyone’s damage this round.

I drew a card and am now done for this turn.

Legacy is at 30hp
Wraith and Tempest are still at 26hp
Bunker is at 22hp
Ra is at 29 hp

Next is tylertoo playing Tempest.

Oh, about table talk… Locally, I have really embraced the LotR LCG rule where explicit talk is not allowed. That is, players can’t say I have cards X and Y for this and plan to do Y followed by M. However something like “I have something that should help dealing with our minion problems this turn” or “I won’t be doing much, but Bunker I should be happy.” Why? The biggest potential threat to co-op games seems to be if everything is super transparent then one or a few players tend to make most or all of the decisions and it can become a solo game where many people are just holding cards but few are actually playing.

It can make things more difficult though as THE RIGHT MOVE is harder to suss out and “mistakes” are made. It can also be harder for the newer players. So it may not be the way to go all the time. However, I do feel it is the best way to preserve player agency of competitive games while playing a cooperative game. That is just my random opinion though.

Round 1: The Inhuman Tempest

[I]Mack Dalton awoke with a nasty hangover. He’d been out the night before with some of his human friends, who knew little of his true background. They didn’t know he was really M’kk Dall’ton of Vognild Prime, that he had escaped to Earth in the wake of the attack by the minions of Grand Warlord Voss. They didn’t know he was actually The Inhuman Tempest, dedicated to eradicating Voss from the Multiverse. All they knew is that he frequently picked up the tab, so they loved his company and pounded beers all night. And now his head pounded.

But his phone was blinking; a text message from the Wraith. “For Justice!” she’d written. God, what a boring motto, he thought. But he knew what it meant. The minions of Voss had reared their smelly heads once again. Action was needed. “Bullocks to the hangover,” shouted the Tempest as he rose from his bed. “Its time to fight Evil!”[/I]

-Tempest rushes to the scene and unleashes the one-shot Chain Lightning [1 target 4 lightning, a second target 3 lightning, and third target 2 lightning].
-Tempest then follows up by invoking his power Squall – all non-hero targets receive 1 projectile damage.
Jay, can you determine which three minions are best suited to receive the Chain Lightning damage (obviously not the Infantry), and where the minions are left after the one-shot and the Squall attack. I’d imagine at least one dies?

And with that, the exhausted Tempest slumps back and draws a card.

Ok. That was a great turn. I am dividing damage from chain lightning this way:

The first target will take 4 damage and will be the guard. (4 base dmg, +2 from galvanize and inspiring presence, -1 from Voss, -1 from guard). It has 3 hp so it is destroyed. This now removes the damage reducing effect for all other villain cards.

The second target will take 4 damage ( 3 base + 2 - 1) and will be the first ion lancer. It has 3 hit points so is destroyed.

Finally, 3 damage (2 + 2 - 1) goes to the second lancer. It has 3 hit points and is destroyed.

Now, we resolve squall, where tempest does 2 (1+2-1) damage to the banshee and shock infantry (and none to the soldier due to immunity). They both have 1 hp left.

Voss takes nothing due to his -6 dmg resistance.

Great turn. 3 minions left (with two almost dead) and much less damage going out to our most injured member.

Now on to the Wraith’s turn. Let us hope she has picked a better catch phrase:).

Tom Chick is up.

Jay, the Squall power is projectile damage, not lightning. So is the infantry still immune?

Nope. Got it backwards on who was immune. I will correct it in the post. Thanks for catching that.

[I]Round 1: The Wraith

Maia Montgomery was the first to see the reports. The deep space radio telescope network owned by a subsidiary of Montgomery Industries notified her, as she’d requested, when the readings appeared. After the last time, she knew where Voss would arrive, and she knew he would arrive with more ships. The radio telescope guys flagged it as a rare cluster of comets, but Maia knew better. This was definitely Voss’ warfleet.

She immediately sent a coded text to the rest of the team under the new motto “For Justice!”. It sounded a bit too much like Legacy’s “For Freedom!”, which was so fifty years ago. Not to mention First World. She’d have to get creative in the marketing department to come up with something else. “It’s for a line of superhero dolls,” she had told the copywriters in the boardroom. They came back with six or seven mottos, and “For Justice” played best with the focus groups. But now. on the eve of an alien invasion, it just didn’t feel as, well, inspiring as it should. Montgomery Industries’ copywriters should have been told that it would have to be totally galactic and not just a crime thing. With Voss bearing down on Earth, the situation called for a totally epic motto. Maybe “For All!”, “For Us All!”, or “For the Universe!” Rats, none of these sounded good.

She jotted down a few notes on her state-of-the-art MItablet (hers was a limited edition hot pink MItablet). Then she set up a dummy schedule for the next three days to throw off anyone who might try to track her down. Finally, she did what she knew she would one day have to do if the threat was serious enough. She called accounting.[/I]

• Draw four cards.

• Play Trust Fund: Draw 4 cards. Then discard 2 cards.

• Discard Throat Jab and Inventory Barrage

• Use Stealth. Power: Reduce the next damage that would be dealt to The Wraith by 2.

• Draw a card.

-Tom

I’m outclassed in the fiction department…you guys are inspired. Damage taken -2 has been noted on Wraith. Now on to Bunker!

Dreamshadow is up.

(Fiction later, once ive slept…)

Draw four cards.
Play grenade launcher.
Use grenade launcher power. Card says i do 2 dmg, then 2 dmg,then 1 dmg. With bonuses, i believe this means i do 3,3,2.
I draw a card and end turn.

“Servos warmed up. Bring it!”

That should wipe out the remaining three minions if my math is correct.

Yup. Its been a long day… My visualization of the board memory is having trouble.

It sounds like whenever a card takes damage or leaves the board I should post an updated shot of sidekick. It shall be done.

Bunker’s grenade launcher tears into the remaining minions and destroys two of them (the shock infantry and the banshee). Amazingly, the soldier stays on his feet and looks unharmed. His intergalactic vest appears to be immune to all projectile damage Tempest’s Squall and Bunker’s Grenade Launcher) . Wraith has got to get her hands on this stuff. Think of the market value and profit margins.

I have a feeling that his vest will melt if we applied direct heat. Good thing we have the God of the Sun on our side.

Ra is up! Gedd on deck.

And to keep us all on the same page, we’ve got one minion left (Voss now needs 9 more to win) and he is at -2 damage taken. For those that haven’t played Voss before, if he has no minions in play, he becomes rather grumpy and flips over (flips out?) to his Thoracian Warrior side, where he beats on us with his bare hands rather effectively. Of course then, we can hit back and bring him closer to defeat!

[i]Journal of Dr. Blake Washington, Jr.
Mesopotamia Dig, Day 34

The day started out as always. Wake up at 6. Hot coffee and toast. Grab the tools, then out to the site.

So far this dig has been amazing. The artifacts we’ve retrieved are like nothing we’ve ever seen. We’ll be analyzing them for years to come.

Suddenly I feel it. Evil has surfaced again. Not here. Not on Earth. On Mars. I rush back to my tent find the map case I carry with me on every expedition. When my colleagues ask, I tell them it’s a memento from an old dig. Lies are often best disguised in the truth.

I open the case, pull out the ancient staff I found all those years ago, and I. AM. REBORN! Ra, the God of the Sun. In the old days I did battle with Apophis and his servants. Today I continue the fight against the forces of evil, bringing light in times of darkness.

In a flash I cover the vast distance from Earth to Mars. There I find the self-styled “Grand Warlord” Voss and his minions. Voss is well known for hiding behind the vast army he has assembled, and today is no different. Thankfully I am not alone. Immediately I recognize my allies. Legacy, Tempest, Wraith, and Bunker. A stray shot hits me, but a God does not fear the projectiles of mere Soldiers. One by one the minions fall until only Voss and the Soldier remain. Time to join the fray.

“My Allies! Let us purge this villain with the blessing of the sun!”
[/i]

Ra plays Imbued Fire, turning all hero damage into fire and increasing all fire damage by 1.

I turn my eye to the solider. “You DARE try to hurt me?! BY FIRE BE PURGED!”

Ra activates his Default Power, dealing 4 (2 + 1 + 1) damage to the soldier.

“Now my friends…Voss no longer has anyone to hide behind. Let him feel our wrath!”

Ra then asks Jay to draw him a card please.

Great stuff guys. Rekindling my love for this game one post at a time!

Round 1: Environment

Bunker looked around at the damage and remembered why he hated this place so much. Sure it served as a great front line position against intergalactic invasion, but would it kill the Wagner’s management to clean the place occasionally? The last time he worked recon here, it took 3 weeks to get the red dust out of his suit. Three weeks!!! Each time this place rocked due to the battle, he cursed to himself. Even if this was over quick, which he doubted, he knew he was in for a long night of polish duty if he expected the suit to ever move again. Sometimes it just isn’t fun being the tin man.

Pervasive Red Dust

At the end of the environment turn, destroy (H) 5 equipment cards. At the start of the environment turn, if each player discards a card, destroy Pervasive Red Dust. When PRD is destroyed, each player may play 1 equipment card from their trash into play.

So there goes Bunker’s grenade launcher, the poor guy. No one else had equipment cards, but this could be really bad news for the Wraith and Ra as well. I’m guessing we are all pitching a card next environment turn.