Set your alarms to 5.17.19 and let's get a John Wick: Chapter 3 thread started

8/10 my ass. That was a hell of a ride. Just as fun as the first two.

I thought this was a significant improvement over the second. Most fun I’ve had at the theater all year by a mile.

100,000% agreed. I think the only thing that might come close, for me, is Hobbes and Shaw.

So apparently it’s made $23 million just by the end of Friday alone. I saw it at 1:15pm and the theater was near full. I am so holding out hope for a volume 4.

I’m gonna go see it again this coming Friday.

Really good. My only gripe would be that maybe a couple sequences (particularly the one with Halle Berry) fell short of the high standard set by everything else in the trilogy. Not that any of it was bad as much as some bits felt overlong and repetitive by comparison. Still damn well worth my money and another intriguing dose of world-building.

Definitely want more.

I need to go back and rewatch part two to figure out what I think of it now. As it stands, JW3 was fun, but a slight disappointment, and certainly not on the level of the first.

I also have very little interest in the direction it hints at, should there be future installments. The more explanation and exposition offered for this world of shadowy-but-stylish assassin societies, the less mysterious and alluring it becomes.

If the franchise ends here and I watch all three movies again in a few years, I’ll bet that would actually improve my opinion of this chapter. But if they try to wring more stories out of this, I think I might come to resent JW3 as the turning point where I started to check out.

Ugh, are they still trying to make a TV show too?

In one interview I saw or read with the director, he said that the way they made 2 and 3 was different from the way they made 1, because the first one started with the writer shopping a finished script while 2 and 3 started with Keanu and the director coming up with cool fight sequences and then giving those to the writers to try to wire together with plot. I think that shows, for better and for worse. The action set-pieces of the last two movies have been amazing, but they’ve gotten further and further away from the human story that the first half-hour of the first movie set up.

This movie was so much fun! It was crazy on the set pieces and the creative ways he dispatches people.

While I don’t expect a lot of personal growth in JW3 as he’s just trying to survive, I do think we get more background information on his past which helps flush his character out. Not groundbreaking mind you, but seeing the russian training academy and his “ticket” he has been saving; his relationship with Barry is another piece that isn’t flushed out, but it’s there. His relationship with Winston really reinforced a much stronger relationship that was barely hinted at before.

I was absolutely giddy and loved that first shot with the shotgun. Holy SHIT! This movie is just filled with so many moments like that.

That moment alone made me glad I shelled out the extra money to catch a showing with a nice sound system. It was incredible.

All I will add is, if you are a guy and are looking for an easy date, move to Casablanca, cause there are NO men left there.

I’d say we’re almost certainly going to get a 4th.

WONDERFUL.

I was VERY impressed by Halle Barry’s portrayal of Sofia. Very formidable. In one of the interview snippets I watched (was it in this thread? Hmmm…) with Keanu, he mentioned she trained for 6 months with those dogs and when he first met them, she had to give the OK for him to pet them.

Did anyone else get the preview of Anna before John Wick? That looked pretty wicked, but I just feel it will be a loose imposter for Atomic Blonde.

Saw that preview too. Luc Besson is definitely in “wait for the reviews” territory for me, and the trailer didn’t look like it lived up to Atomic Blonde. Then again, Atomic Blonde had fantastic trailers on top of being an excellent movie, so that’s a really high bar to clear.

Sounds like I need to see Atomic Blonde.

Me too. Last movie he just shot everyone. No one even killed his dog. I get it when someone kills your dog… but …

Yeah, but now we find out he’s an immigrant. He’s probably upset about current politics.

It was confirmed today that there will be a John Wick 4. It will release summer 2021.

Yuussssssssss

Khoi Vinh’s review nails my problems and why I’m dreading Chapter 4:

This is what usually happens: a film creates a compelling fantasy world and fans clamor for more. So sequels build that world out, they show more of its mechanics, its people, its history. But “John Wick: Chapter 3—Parabellum” demonstrates one little acknowledged principle of escalated world building: the inevitable outcome is bureaucracy.

In the Wick-verse this tendency towards bureaucracy literally manifests itself as a bureaucracy. So we see in this latest episode even more of what we began to see in “John Wick: Chapter 2”: more jargon, more prototocols, more paperwork, more dialogue devoted to characters shouting the world’s rules back at one another. The end result is tedium, but what’s really happening is that the beautifully succinct motivation that drove the original “John Wick,” that revenge fantasy that was so simple and effective as to be almost poetic, has become now fully diffused. It’s no longer clear what Wick wants, what he’s fighting for, why he exists. Instead he’s become little more than a tour guide, an excuse for us to shuffle from one tediously “weird” department of the bureaucracy to another. Where this universe used to be about a man who could kill with a pencil, it now instead devotes itself to a morass of tiresome pencil pushers.