Settlers 7

I’m sorry but I’m just unwilling to have my game interrupted due to issues with my ISP, their servers, or something in between. Not for a SP or LAN game anyway.

I had big trouble logging into 1404 one weekend because their servers got nuked. Thankfully that game didn’t have the DRM so I just created an offline profile and went about my game. I wouldn’t have that option with Settlers and its just not something I’m willing to put up with, at ANY pricepoint.

Fantastic game. I wish the DLC weren’t so ruthlessly MP-focused though.

Same here. Won’t install it even if it’s free.

Of course it does. Why should they be rewarded for selling out to the evil empire? An evil empire. Gaming has a lot of those huh.

I just don’t support overly restrictive DRM schemes. I wouldn’t buy Starforce games after having to fix my PC because of their shit and I won’t support Ubi/BB now for their crap either. Whether it’s $50, $25 or $1.99, it’s a non-purchase until they remove the DRM. If/when they do remove it, I’ll buy the game pronto.

grumblemotherfuckingspellcheckmistakegrumble

Pogo, we should form Qt3 Social Group for those who want to actually discuss the game instead of re-hashing the DRM, page after page after page. Don’t you guys ever get tired of this?

I’m willing to dive in at half price but I’m not much of an RTS guy. Isn’t there a demo around somewhere? I’ll give that a go first I suppose.

No demo that I know of.

Does the demo available on download sites work anymore?

edit: Seems like the demo still works. I’m highly confused by Lorini’s statement since 2 pages of this thread were devoted to talking about the demo.

The RTS part of it is more city-builder like the Anno games.

Do we ever.

PLONK

Yeah, you need a social group because this thread has certainly been a hotspot of activity lately.

It’s an uphill battle. I understand the anti-DRM stance, and really we should just be somewhat mad at Ubi for decreasing the amount of people that are able to enjoy Blue Byte’s creation, and slimming the prospects of a sequel or at least a proper campaign expansion.

Well what I said was true. I don’t see a demo on either the settlers 7 Steam page or the settlers 7 website, so I assumed there wasn’t one.

Again, read what I said, which was “not that I know of”.

This thread can’t be a hot bed of activity because any bumping of it results in making sure that everyone knows everyone’s else’s principles.

As long as UBI was up front about the DRM, I don’t have an issue with it. You can decide to play or not and then move on. I don’t play games that require the DVD to be in the drive. I don’t go around to threads proclaiming this, I just don’t play or discuss them.

Why?
All those games are cracked and work offline.
Next test will be H.A.W.X.2 when it comes out for the PC (but I fully expect the protection being under control now by the cracking groups and the protection won’t stand a chance).

R.U.S.E. was not produced by an Ubifail owned developer studio so they couldn’t slap their protection on it as they were only the publisher (the game was designed from the ground up to work on Steam).

Not as tired as I do of companies like Ubisoft implementing DRM methods that can tangibly detract from the reliability and playability of a game I would have otherwise bought the day it released. :P

I’ll admit, the sale is tempting. But reading on the forums, there’s still people who run into trouble with the game and can’t even run the damn thing. I don’t like taking the risk of throwing my money into a garbage can.

Regardless of how crappy the DRM is, this is a really good game. I don’t regret buying it at all. Honestly I personally have not run into any trouble, this is entirely anecdotal, and I have a very stable internet connection.

The issue is not whether or not we should complain about the DRM. Absolutely Ubi should know that the DRM is unacceptable to you. But just not in a thread that has nothing to do with it. There was a huge Ubisoft thread where the DRM was discussed to death.

It would be lovely to discuss the game with others who are playing, you know, like they are doing in the Civ V thread. But you have to wade through long pages of DRM complaints to get any mention of actual game play in this thread.

I love the game. It’s a great game. But I’m not going to spend half hour writing why, only to be told that I don’t have the right principles and shouldn’t be playing the game in the first place because of the DRM.

I revived the thread to mention the 50% off sale, I think DRM stopping people from taking advantage of that sale is a pretty understandable course for conversation to take.

I do understand where you’re coming from, though. I would feel bad if I had inadvertently interrupted discussion about the game, but this thread had been dormant since June. :)

I agree with you on this, and at no point have accused you (or anyone else playing any of the Ubi DRM titles) of having the wrong principles.

If they implemented their DRM and demonstrated that it was almost 100% reliable and would not be yanked out from under us in the future, then I’d be willing to buy it. My issue is with not having proof of reliability and future support yet.

For example, yes, you can call me a Blizzard fanboy, but the fact is that through supporting their titles for well over a decade and having very reliable service for them, I would be willing to trust them with stricter DRM. Valve has earned my trust with Steam (that took a while before I was willing to rely on it) over the years. Ubisoft may yet earn my trust, but they are an unproven factor for such a strict DRM method.

The more I think on the topic as the year has worn on, the more it’s not a matter of principle for me, but rather a matter of “prove to me that you’re not going to waste my money”. From the anecdotal evidence I’ve followed periodically throughout the year, signs still point to “iffy” when it comes to the answer of that question in regards to Ubi.

The reason I keep an eye on this thread is because the game looks awesome, I’d love to feel comfortable buying it, and each time the thread comes back to life I check it in hopes that things have improved significantly.

I’m genuinely happy you and Pogo haven’t been plagued with the problems that other users have. It’s awesome that you guys can play and enjoy the game. And someday I hope to be able to do so too. But there’s a lot of other games I can enjoy in the meantime. :D

I’ll repost my thoughts on the game that I made a couple months ago, with some editing to remove the snark directed at a poster who just wouldn’t back off on the DRM issue.

And also my comparison to Anno 1404 and why I think Settlers 7 is the better game:

And anyone who decides to pick this up at this price, feel free to ask for hints or gameplay tips in here. It’s been a month or so since I played but I remember the game well, and am actually re-downloading it right now.