Shadow of the Tomb Raider - Ms Croft if you're nasty

Even more so since the openings of the first two games were also linear rollercoasters powered by quicktime events, before the opening credits, and then game really starts. (In the first game, waking up in the cave; in the second, climbing the snowy mountain).

Rise of the Tomb Raider Cthulhu

You know you’d play it.

Yeah, that would make a lot more sense than any of the new Tomb Raider games. ;)

Yes exactly the starting intro is always a glorified cutscene.

Really liking the presence of green in some of those images. Seeing it made me realize the first game is overwhelmingly brown and the second is icy gray. The reboots have rarely shown the dense jungle environments that typified the old games.

Lawd. Eidos Montreal boss David Anfossi on this game’s budget:

“Shadow of the Tomb Raider, and other different AAA single-player games, cost $75 million to $100 million,” Anfossi admits. “And that’s production only; it’s close to $35 million on the promotion.”

Let’s try some dumb math:

• $50 per game sold
  • it costs $87,500,000 + $35,000,000 to make the game

They need to sell 2.4 million copies of the game to break even, assuming they make all $50 which they obviously do not. I suspect they’d need to double that at 4.8 million units sold to realistically make their money back.

How many copies did it sell?

So 9 million units each roughly. I think they’re doing just fine.

$9 million at full pop?

Who knows? I would assume a big chunk of that is in the first weeks after release where they make a higher proportion of the $50 or $60 or whatever it is, plus each platform has different breakdowns, they make more on the PC version because there are no console platform licensing fees etc?

TR did a lot of its numbers in sales post release. SE famously came out that they were disappointed with it only doing 3.4 million in it’s first month.

Except that gross cost is heavily subsidized by the Quebec and federal government. Quebec is single-handedly badly distorting gaming budgets and since it heavily incentives the creation of massive development teams. These games are being designed around tax subsidies and refundable credits rather than creative sensibilities or even overall profitability (since risk is significantly mitigated). But not for everyone else, in other jurisdictions, who go bankrupt/become almost exclusively hit-focused and/ are forced to adopt loot boxes and other gamer unfriendly revenue streams).

When are they just going to give Lara a wristblade and be done with it?

That opening scene was hilarious. At first I thought she was struggling to get a parachute on, but by the end of the sequence, I concluded she was just trying to get her seat belt on.

Sure I’m falling from hundreds to thousands of feet in the air in a non-aerodynamic box. I must get the seat belt on, because I’m sure that’s going to make a huge difference in surviving a fall from this height.

The first trailer at the MS conference (I think?) was a bit promising, as it seemed to show a bit more the old tomb raiding & platforming. Then the squeenix trailer just showed the rambo murder mashine that she’s apparently been turned into.

Waiting to see where the actual balance will lie…

Finally tomb sizes are large again.

I never understand this thread title. What’s nasty?

I have no idea and just rolled with it, paging @Telefrog for explanation.

I am sad glow sticks are gone. :(

Don’t tell us Telefrog. It’s important to keep the mystery.

You. You’re the possible nasty person. If you are, you don’t get to call her Tomb Raider. You must use the more formal Ms. Croft.