Sherlock - Modern BBC interpretation

Anyone watch this?

Sherlock Holmes and Dr Watson’s adventures in 21st Century London. A thrilling, funny, fast-paced contemporary remake of the Arthur Conan Doyle classic.

I thought it was pretty good and enjoyable. Modernising Sherlock actually works quite well and gives the whole thing a fresh angle and even felt more like a classic “Sherlock Holmes” story than the Guy Ritchie version.

I did. It was very clearly a Moffatt show, right down to the snappy dialogue. I also really enjoyed Holmes’ deduction over Ritchie’s Holmes.

That and the fact that it’s basically told through Watson’s perspective is pretty cool.

Question is, who’s going to pick it up here in the states? I’d love to watch it, but then I love me some Masterpiece Mystery on PBS, but I wonder if this would be Masterpiece material or is it something that BBC America might show. A quick check of the Wikipedia page on it says it will come under the Masterpiece banner here. Just how long am I going to have to wait!?

Supposedly co-produced by WGBH Boston and coming to PBS this fall as part of Masterpiece theater.

Which is good as I get PBS in HD (WGBH no less) and still only get BBC America in SD.

I don’t know that I’d say it’s better than RDJ’s Holmes because, really, who cares. It was a single movie and ignores the ginormous elephant in the room (Brett). I’d say they hit the mark in staying away from Brett’s classic Holmes and making it fresh, new and relevant to younger audiences while successfully avoiding any possible comparisons to the man who really is Sherlock Holmes. I am especially happy they’ve heavily adapted the stories so that they are faintly recognizable but very much a different beast from the books. Overall, a very strong introduction to the series and I hope they can continue in this vein. Good stuff!

It’s not too bad. I was expecting Mycroft to be Moriarty, and I half-expected Princess Bride-style rant about Sicilians and landwars in Asia (which, coincidentally, Watson was involved in) near the end. And actually the twist is easy enough to figure out, in fact I thought that’s exactly what they were talking about when the chase started.

— Alan

The only thing I know is that in this picture, I can read the blond guy’s mind. And he’s saying “I feel like such a tool fake running in this picture.” Yes he is.

It’s the reverse for me. (On Dish Network, I only get the local PBS station in SD, while I receive BBCA in HD). So I was really hoping BBCA picked it up, not PBS.

Oh well, at least I get to watch Top Gear in HD. Which makes a HUGE difference btw. Beautiful cars are even more beautiful in HD.

One of these days I’m going to have to go out and buy an HD antenna so that I can pick up the local PBS station in HD over the airwaves, since they do broadcast in HD.

You can make your own. Ain’t too hard. Plus, in time, there will be more broadcast HD stations I feel.

Looks like it’s a three-part series.

— Alan

‘A three patch problem’ made me smile. It was better than I expected, but I have low expectations of the BBC at the moment.

Just thought I’d add my voice to the chorus of “I like this.” I got a chuckle from the sexual orientation confusions in the restaurant.

Not really my kind of show but I ended up enjoying it. I wasn’t too sure how I’d get on with it being set in modern day London but my only real complaint was the whole reasoning behind why the Police would call him in didn’t really stand up despite (or maybe because of) their attempts to explain it.

Definitely worth another couple of episodes.

I really enjoyed it, something different but also very similar.

I thought the consultation idea really worked. It’s something the UK has become really obssesed with. Just about every company / business seems to have one or two involved.

Looking forward to tomorrows episode.

Remember UK police recently hired Ray Mears to help them track down Raul Moat. Reality is way wierder than fiction.

I really, really enjoyed the first part and can’t wait for the other two. :)

I think that was part of it, it was all a bit cloak and dagger. If they’d just been upfront about it and said he was a consultant or something it wouldn’t have bothered me. Perhaps that doesn’t fit into the notion they have of him in this series, they did go out of their way to point out that he wasn’t actually being paid for doing any of this, the detective at the start just didn’t know what else to do so called him in for reasons I don’t really recall being made that clear.

They were definitely helped by the fact that it was still possible, almost 130 years after tje original, to have Watson returning to London after being wounded in Afghanistan.

That went completely over my head to be honest, I’d be a liar if I said I actually knew much about Sherlock Holmes other than the bog standard popular myth (violin playing, deerstalker wearing drug addict).

I was abit if a fan back in my early teens and the first meeting between the pair was almost verbatim from Conan Doyle, although the original Holmes deduced that Watson had been injured in Afghanistan without asking.

The deerstalker image was more a result of the Basil Rathbone films, which also updated Holmes. Great films for their time, but ITV’s TV version, with Jeremy Brett, which they still repeat, was closer to the original despite a PC decision to have Holmes give up his cocaine habit.

Jeremy Brett was amazing as SH but it’s been a long time since his series so m happy to not have to compare this one to his interpretation of SH.