Shooters Both Vertical and Sidescrolling (but NOT first-person or cover) - aka SHMUPs (or STGs I guess)

I remember thinking it was dumb the first time I heard it, but after the thousandth time I kinda gave in.

Well, I guess that’s where I’m at. I think it’s dumb but what are ya gonna do.

It’s hard being at the cutting edge of linguistic evolution.

I prefer a weird genre offshoot to the main thing: the ones with light RPG mechanics/progression/call it what you like. Ones where there’s some sort of persistent upgrade mechanic outside of individual levels/“plays”/etc. Like U.N. Squadron, Jets N Guns or even better Tyrian 2000. I admire shmups as a whole but I tend to be bad at them. But I always like the weird RPG blends more.

Agree about progession, in terms of pacing I like slower paced ones that you can feel like you have some planning component versus pure reflexive/bullet hell stuff.

Although how much of that is old gamer syndrome versus taste is anyones guess.

Oh man, I forgot about Tyrian 2000!

Did R-Type have progression? I don’t remember that, although I only played it at the arcade. Both R-Type 1 and 2 can be had on mobile for $2 each, FYI. I’ll get to them eventually.

Nah, a bunch of arcade shmups had progression systems. UN Squadron to some degree, Forgotten Worlds. Fantasy Zone which did have an arcade version though I think it was rare in the US even came out before R-Type.

Speaking of Fantasy Zone, has anyone played Black Bird? I keep thinking of getting that.

Did UN Squadron come out in the arcade in the US? When peacedog posted about it I looked it up and man it looks so familiar, but I know I didn’t have it for SNES.

Yes, the SNES version has a bit more RPG to it with buying planes as opposed to just upgrading the main gun and buying your secondary weapon and specials. It’s not quite the difference of Rygar acrade to Rygar NES though.

It was a favorite of mine at one of the local arcades, I could eventually 1 CC it so it was my go to when I was almost out of quarters.

I didn’t realize UN Squadron had an arcade verison, that’s cool.

I humbly request we keep those “rpg shmups” listed in a category!

Wow, I gave revolver360reactor a shot, and that sure is something. Pretty neat!

NO.

Shmup now, and Shmup forever.

P.S. WTF is STG? Shooting Target Game?

I know Radiant Silvergun as mentioned above allows you to level up your weapons over time, is that the kind of progression you’re thinking of?

I really loved Bangai-O Spirits on the 360. Some levels are Shmups. Lots of shooting. Sad, it is not backwards compatible on the xbox one (other arcade games are).

I’e never actually played it but to me it does sound like a form of that sort of progression yes.

Delta (1987, C64) also had powerup progression, though obviously just within a single game.

Skyforce Reloaded and Skyforce anniversary are two games I really enjoyed on Xbox One. I loved them so much I actually tried other games in the genre before deciding that this genre as a whole is probably not for me. But I do still love the Skyforce games, and I’d love to play other games like them. They’re not too difficult. They have a progression so that you get better and better equipment. It’s all very satisfying.

I did eventually hit a skill ceiling that I couldn’t get past, but until then I had a blast.

I think there’s two types of upgrades worth differentiating. There’s the classic upgrade via power ups, which typically you see drop on death and you may have a chance to pick up a bunch or it may just lower you a level on spawn, and then there’s the power ups via a shop where you have to pick and choose what to buy based on currency you earned. Do you buy shields or a health refill, upgrade your main gun, or get a new secondary weapon?