Shooters Both Vertical and Sidescrolling (but NOT first-person or cover) - aka SHMUPs (or STGs I guess)

Radiant SIlvergun’s powerups are neither of those! Your guns just get better over time (between playthroughs, I mean) as you use them, with no choice in the matter on your part, except if you choose to not use a particular kind of gun.

I think the differentiation is “do the powerups persist beyond death, with no reduction”. That covers Tyrian/Radiant/Jets N Guns type systems. It’s clearly distinct from the more traditional options where death removes (with a chance to recover some or all, or not) or reduces power up levels.

I liked Skyforce Reloaded but it got so grindy and I never finished it.

Well it’s on my wishlist for when it goes back on sale for $3. At this point I have so many of these things I’m afraid I’ll never do any of them justice, although I have put enough time in with Radiant Silvergun to get all the weapons to max level and I still haven’t been able to beat it. My favorite game soundtrack, though, maybe.

Was the Raptor remaster any good? I feel like I heard mixed things about it.

This one?

My favorite shmups are all old because it’s a genre I haven’t really played with in its modern iterations, although I did buy Ikaruga and mean to give it a proper go-round one of these days.

note: In the UK this was just called ‘Delta’

Sanxion was ridonculous hard and I never got anywhere in it. Sure was pretty, though. I don’t know if it’s a bad game or I just suck.

That’s funny, I guess River Raid would have to be a shmup wouldn’t it? I wonder if Space Invaders is a shmup, just one where the enemies come to you! (insert Soviet Russia joke here)

It almost comes down to whether the background is scrolling or not. =/

Space Invaders is certainly the grandfather proto shmup, followed by Galaxians/Galaga.

First side scroller must be Defender, I guess?

Scramble came out the same month.

It does not seem to be. :( Mobile games are so ephemeral.

Well, at least you can always watch other people play it.

If anybody’s curious about Hellsinker:

M.U.S.H.A. is one of my all time favorites. I love the way options work in that game, with how you can set them to all these different shoot patterns, how they block bullets but also can be destroyed and you collect a reserve of them to replenish the ones getting blown up.

I’m not sure why but The ASTRO SAGA Bundle is currently on sale for $16. That’s 7 games, and they all look rad and relevant to this thread. For whatever reason Gigantic Army is not on sale, but I’d pay a dollar more to not have it in my cart instead of grabbing the bundle and getting it, so I guess there goes $16 and here comes 7 games.

For the purists out there, two or three of the games in this bundle are about robots moving from left to right, not ships, so they may not count for you.

but they do for me

I’ve had JnG2 on early access for quite awhile. It’s great. Also, very hard.

I missed that JnG2 was coming out. Very excited.

Although one thing that I think is a change that I don’t like: I thought when you selected a weapon in the store it would show you a preview of what it looked like in action the first but I don’t see that here. Maybe I’m mis-remembering.

There’s a ‘test range’ now where you can try out loadouts.

The last game had the same but that’s not what I am talking about.

Holy shit guys. Jets n Guns 2 is AMAZING.

@peacedog Now I know what you mean - I don’t see a way to do it. However, buy and sell prices are the same at least so you can experiment.

Yep, I noticed what @krayzkrok said too that it was updating the little visual once you equipped shit. Especially helpful is that the window gives you heat performance stats. I would still prefer they show you the weapon when you clicked on it but I am learning to love that little “here’s your current build in action” window.

I won’t lie, the “prices are the same buying and selling” is the best mechanic in the Jets N Guns series in terms of “mechanics beyond the basic genre gameplay”. I’m so glad they kept it. Experimentation in the first was a lot of fun and I think it’s going to be an even bigger deal here since there appear to be per-weapon mod slots in some cases or maybe all cases (well, front facing weapons anyway).

I still haven’t found any of the secret weapons in the early “secret” level (that doesn’t appear to me to be a secrety). Gotta get back on that.

In terms of the visuals, my only complaint so far - from the boss on that level no less - is that I can’t always tell if I’m damaging a boss without looking at the health meter but sometimes that’s super dangerous. That’s it. It’s Jets N Guns otherwise, but refined. More mature. Explodier.

Ok I do not understand the weapon crate unlock at all.