Should baby boys be circumcised?

Well again, what’s the difference between parents choosing to get their kids circumsized because of imaginary health benefits and parents choosing to not get their kids vaccinated because of imaginary health benefits?

There is documented health benefits for the vaccination and the circumcision, so I don’t exactly know where you’re trying to go with that analogy. People who don’t get their kids vaccinated are asking for diseases.

Its a parent’s choice.

And that’s a shame. There should be a minimum age for children to be circumcised of at least ten years, unless it were for acute health problems.

Why? At ten if someone said “We can offer to cut off part of your penis.” I’d have run screaming from the room. As it stands… i’ve never had a problem with my penis, and I’m circumcised, and don’t hate my mom for it. You want no one to be, and if there isn’t a problem with it, then why not?

One is irreversible?

Well again, what’s the difference between parents choosing to get their kids circumsized because of imaginary health benefits and parents choosing to not get their kids vaccinated because of imaginary health benefits?

That not vaccinating your kids leads to other kids getting sick when your child becomes a disease vector whereas cutting/not-cutting your kid doesn’t affect other kids at all?

As I said above, the health benefits of circumcision only apply if you’re already practicing abysmal health practices. If you wash yourself and practice safe sex, you’re not getting the supposed benefits of circumcision; if you don’t, you’ve got problems anyway. That’s why there are those UN articles about how much good it would do in Africa, but a lack of similarly compelling evidence in the US.

That kind of sounds like it’s on my side. ;)

Sure. But what’s the difference as it applies to your own kid? Lots of people here were decrying those parents for child abuse the last time that came up.

You’re a bit wrong there. Most diseases that children are vaccinated for aren’t even around anymore. Strong vaccines consist of living virus cells that get injected into a baby’s body. In Germany, lots of people don’t vaccinate their children because the vaccine itself is often more dangerous than sending your kid to school without being vaccinated. Many children actually die or have extreme allergic reactions to vaccines. This is of course controversial, but I’m just telling you it’s not as black & white as you think. We had our son vaccinated a few weeks ago, and he got super high fever, was crying 24/7, couldn’t sleep, had red spots all over, didn’t eat… you name it.

As someone who has contact with lots of very new parents who just had to make this choice themselves, none of them said health reasons were part of their decision. Tradition/religion/“want baby to match daddy” came up, health did not. I would want to err on the side of no unnecessary cosmetic surgeries on a newborn.

That’s my point. It’s too easy to just submit your baby, that can’t protest against it, to a procedure that he might have refused if he were older. He’s your son, but his body is not your property. What if, when he’s older, he tells you “dad, I hate my penis! I hate that I look different than other kids in the shower room!”?

This is not true.

Come on. Don’t get cross the streams. You can’t be on the Dark side in this matter and on the Light side in the other. It confuses those trying to agree with you.
Also:

Extar, I’m not saying whether I think it should be done or not. I’m just saying it’s a decision the parents have the right to make whether someone else feels they’re making the wrong choice or not. I’m also saying that I don’t think being circumcized or uncircumsized really matters one way or another and isn’t even in the same ballpark as the anti-vaccination issue. There are pros and cons in having foreskin or not, but I just don’t think it will affect a man’s life in any meaningful way. I don’t personally know of anyone who’s ever wished they were cut or uncut if they were the opposite.

And the comment about me not wanting to have it done as an adult was mostly just me saying I prefer not to think about knives going near my junk. I don’t care how safe the procedure is. I’m fairly certain I could live with being uncut if that’s how I grew up.

*edit. Hanzii, that’s pretty annoying, really.

Considering most medical professionals and organizations (including the WHO) consider the differences of being circumcised or not a wash, why go hacking off parts of your kid? Especially when the majority of drawbacks are easily overcome with proper hygiene and safer sex practices, which you should be teaching your kids anyway.

People doing things for religious reasons fine, I’m not going to judge but for what boils down to doing it for the hell of it I have to ask why you’d want to inflict that pain and make a non-reversible change to your child.

If the idea of getting circumcised as an adult bothers you why is it alright for newborns?

Don’t take my word for it, read about combined measles vaccines and their use in Germany. Or Google for problems caused by vaccines. It’s what I did when my son got symptoms after being vaccinated.

People who disagree with my opinions make me so angry!

bahimiron make me so angry!

I’m not going to, and I’m certainly not going to do your work for you.
Also:

Good. Any mention of the word circumsition belongs in P&R and even there we’ve done it to death. There’s a reason why googling “not this shit again” brings up specific mention of circumsition-threads in the second page linked.

Also:

Nah, I’ll let you get off with a warning this time. But do it again and I will GIS you.

You’re attacking this discussion as if I’m some sort of pro-circumcision activist asking for all male babies to have it done. I seriously doubt parents are circumcizing their kids “for the hell of it” and referring to it as “mutilation” and such is pretty silly, but again it’s still up to them. I haven’t heard of any cases where anyone was seriously traumatized due to having been circumsized as a baby. Either way, it doesn’t affect you.

If the idea of getting circumcised as an adult bothers you why is it alright for newborns?

Come on, do I really need to explain that again?

This might sound crazy, but maybe you should consider reading other threads instead of trolling this one.

Is the reason that you’re obligated by law to read every post on qt3?