Side by Side: Adventures in local multiplayer

My friend Joel Goodwin of Electron Dance and I recorded a series of videos last year focussing on our experiences with relatively obscure local multiplayer games. Since November there has been eight posted up on Youtube so it’s about halfway through now, but while the first few episodes attracted quite a number of views the rest of the series has fared much worse. At this rate there won’t be much point in doing a second series as the numbers don’t justify the effort involved.

I told Joel that I’d like to open the series up to Qt3, not necessarily for views or exposure, but for feedback should we decide to do a second series because as of yet we’ve received almost none (other than from Tom who I asked before posting this!). I know from this thread in particular that there were some really interesting exchanges about these types of ‘quick look’ videos so I’d very much like to hear what Qt3 has to say about Side by Side.

I’ll leave it at that for the time being and let the videos speak for themselves, but all feedback is encouraged and welcome. It could be really helpful for us and hopefully informative and entertaining for you. I’m Gregg B by the way.

fyi: There’s a remake of M.U.L.E

Hi Pod - yes I put some links to the Planet M.U.L.E. remake and the Space HoRSE clone on the article page, then one of the commenters told us about the iOS version which I had no idea existed! I’d pitched the episode as playing the original though and wanted to avoid remakes. If we go at a second series, we might have a dabble at Archon or something like that. Thanks for giving the series a look.

While I’m here, the latest episode went up just yesterday, we covered Bennett Foddy’s Get On Top. It’s just 3 minutes long.

Okay, sod it; time for some thread necromancy.

We didn’t think we’d be doing any more Side by Side after season 1, let alone season 2, but… here we are, three years later, and we’re on season 4 now. It’s all Joel’s doing.

The first episode of the new series was published today to coincide with the release of the excellent and deliciously ridiculous Regular Human Basketball by Powerhoof (who developed Crawl). Much to our surprise, Regular Human Basketball also features online multiplayer.

We love it and it’s dirt cheap at £4/$5 on Humble, itch.io and Steam. Highly recommended with friends and worth a look if only for the superb trailer.

When you have time, you should try to create little blurb of recommandations with link to your other videos on Steam. That’d be really cool (and probably give you a wide audience of jerks to cope with!).

Yeah, I’ll definitely try to. It’d be handy for me too so I can see at a glance what we’ve covered!