Sifu - You’ll know kung fu eventually

I figured I’d make a thread to avoid cluttering the 2022 thread. I don’t think it will be super busy since only a few of us are diving in.

I ran through the short tutorial this morning before work. This is going to be just fine.

You should be able to finish it up when you get home. ;)

Some game links:

OMG such low value! Refund plz!

I glanced at that video and the catch is he takes a shortcut you can’t take the first run of the level, so there’s a built in prior run so the time isn’t really 40 minutes, it 40 minutes after you’ve unlocked shortcuts etc.

I am very interested in this one but the price is not quite right for me. Hearing more like 10-15 hours of play.

I still have my Epic coupon, so price of $30 doesn’t sound unreasonable to me. I’m just not sure if the repetition and the actual gameplay will be something I will get satisfaction out of, or just be annoyed by.

Here’s the launch trailer.

I’m liking it but it is somewhat of a mixed bag. It’s very much about trying to master the combat system. The game looks cool, combat and level art. I’m a bit less enamored with the unlock system which feels maybe a bit grindy if you want to permanently unlock some skills.

I haven’t made it that far to judge yet. The only concern I had initially was they have a few special attacks that require you to flick the control stick twice in the same direction, which is the worst gamepad motion. I always hated that about DmC (because they were afraid to require lock-on, though not to say this game should have it).

The skills don’t seem very critical though.

I’ve got a few hours in, and it’s a rogue like with kung fu. You go as far as you can before you die unlock some skills and then come back and try to do it again without dying as much. The first time through a level you have to go the long way, then shortcuts open up and other secrets. The first level has a door you cant get through until you’ve gone to one of the later levels.
The skill unlocks feel forgiving you unlock the skill first then have to pay 5 more times to unlock it permanently and even if you don’t unlock it all the way it stays paid for. So if you pay 3 of the 5 to unlock, it stays at that on another run.
I’m not a fan of the souls games type of games like fallen order but I’ve been having a blast with this.

When they gave this game a title, didn’t they realize how easy it would be easy to misread the name of the game as STFU? LOL. That’s what I see every time the thread gets bumped :)

You know what to do @jpinard

Sifu doesn’t seem like a great name because you’re not, as far as I can tell, a sifu.

But what if the game itself is the sifu, and the player is the student??

mind_blown.gif

Ok, something else that I don’t really get: from what I’ve seen, when you die you lose some life years as you resurrect, and with them health. Ok, well and good, because the talisman or whatever is sucking years away from you as the price of death, Sekiro-style, maybe? I can accept that. But apparently your attacks also get stronger as you age, and one reviewer said something like, “to reflect the years of training,” but…there are no years? And no training? I understand it’s a game mechanic, but it doesn’t make any sense to me.

I haven’t played this but maybe… is it the years “you would have spent training”?

I’m always amused what distracts people in a videogame. None of us are immune!

I just want to get home and play. I’ve been reading mixed impressions from the hardcore action games Discord I’m on, but they’re all whiny babies anyway.

Well, in Brazilian Portuguese, “sifu” is slang for “got f*cked” (in the “bad things happened” sense, not the “had fun” sense).

So yeah, conversations about this game in Portuguese shall be… interesting. ;)

Were you listening to the dude’s story???

No… I haven’t played it?

It is quite good, but hard, like soul hard. Can’t really mesh buttons to get pass the boss. Control is responsive, graphic is serviceable on PC.

It is rougelike, when you die, you get older, your attack hit harder, but also lower your health depend on age. And you can unlock skills upon your death via XP, and when you go through level, you can also visit the shrine to upgrade.

Best tip I can give is git gud on directional dodge: I play with Xbox controller: so basically hold in LB, then flick Left direction stick up/down, to direction dodge the high/low attacks. It is kind essential to learn this, as otherwise the bosses are gonna give you much grief.