Sins of a Solar Empire 2 : the sequel that took 15 years to make

Double huh. Just won a capital victory without ever seeing an enemy capital.

Hey, Blair - weird, lightweight question; for ages, I’ve noticed RTS games with selectable colors/shades tend to avoid black like the plague (edit - to your credit, you have it as a secondary selection in Sins 2). I’ve had the theory it’s either over concern for multi-player balance (I would expect darker items are slightly slower to visually pick up) or it just fails to highlight graphical awesomeness as well as lighter colors/shades. Any thoughts/opinions on that?

Is it me or is the tech tree layout incorrect for the prerequisites for orbital extraction?

Sins tech

This implies you only need Deep Core Metal Mining, but the tooltip says both.

Probably bugged - of which there are still many. Among many other issues. I’m happy to look into it if you are able to send me the recorded game. “C:\Users\Blair\AppData\Local\sins2\recorded_games”

My email is [email protected].

It should read like this (i.e. it requires deep metal mining AND efficient crystal sorting)

Not sure it’s a bug, I was playing against medium AIs, so it’s possible they just couldn’t withstand the pirate raids. Sill not ideal of course. I’ll send the replay.

All that aside, really loving the UI improvements, both the fleet manager and the battle display. Also like the “new” (to me) trade system and the research UI, apart from that one misleading bit

Ha, we’ve had this conversation many times since the early 2000’s. We’ve experimented with it many times as well. I can’t speak for other games but we suspect its the same concern we found - contrast. 1. Contrast with the background environment, 2. Contrast with details on the unit itself (e.g. self shadowing), and 3. Contrast against other player’s units.

The environment contrast particularly impt in Sins because we like to have a number of dark skyboxes (the current build of Sins2 does not reflect this - yet). You can also see clear evidence of this concern from Blizzard games because in a game like Starcraft 2 they even change what colors are available in a given match based on the map (e.g. brown/tan is not available on desert maps).

Much appreciated; as a once-upon-a-time “stage crew” type in high school, I miss my blacks but always suspected there was a reason we didn’t get them. I recall in one example—the misbegotten Sword of the Stars 2—it would even show you ships without your team color applied before you selected one. In that game, the black highlights were just cooler but nobody got to use them.

Contrast makes sense, however. And hey, should you ever create a “big bad” or “ancients” fleet for a late game random event, you COULD always go that route for it as well because the reduced visual clarity might be more of a feature than a bug, so to speak.

Contrast also HUGELY important for accessibility.

Oh, good point! I honestly hadn’t thought about that - thank you.

Just want to mention you guys at Ironclad are making it REALLY hard to hold off playing a full game until the Advent arrive.

I finally fired this up for a few minutes tonight. I have to re-learn/learn some things, but definitely felt like SoaSE. In the original couldn’t capitol ships take a system? Or maybe it was just certain ones? I certainly remember one of the Human capitol ships was able to do it. Tonight it seemed like I needed to send a colony frigate.

Looking forward to playing more, and hopefully seeing all the modders from the old game jumping over to here.

Just certain ones, it wasn’t a “general” ability that all “Hero” ships had.

As TEC, if your first ship is the Akkan (colony capital ship) you don’t need a colony cruiser.
As Vasari you don’t start with a planet so you get the Jarrasul (colony capital ship) right out of the gate. You won’t need a colony cruiser until you begin expanding in multiple directions.

I hear you, I see things about games I’m following that make me feel the same but generally I tend to wait until release. Its really only the ever-in-development games where I jump in before release (e.g. Factorio).

Is this still Epic exclusive?

Exciting to see this continue to move onward. I’m waiting for a Steam release, I don’t do EGS anymore because I always end up double-dipping on Steam anyway. So I shall remain disciplined until it hits that storefront (plus I’m assuming it’ll be out of early access then anyway, which is a plus!).

Really looking forward to it.