Skullgirls!

How is the single player for a relative beginner? Is it something I’d be able to progress through or just beat my head against the wall?

It’s not that bad. End boss might be tough for newcomes, but by fighting game standards she isn’t that bad.

If you’re seriously interested in learning the game- they run events for it weekly here:
http://www.facebook.com/tierlessheroes/info

This is coming to PC.

The Reverge Labs developed game will be available to download from GameFly, GamersGate, GameStop PC Downloads, EA Origin and Steam later this year.

Skullgirls is getting a gameplay patch pretty soon, addresses some balance issues and adds some small features.

The big chance is they’re trying to prevent the long Blazblue-style looping combos by tightening the IPS.

IPS = Infinite Protection System, for those that don’t know!

That pretty soon patch, comes out Tuesday, so six months after I posted it was coming LOL.

It got caught in certification hell- but lots of gameplay changes. Game is now less combo-heavy (tightened IPS)

Hey, remember that patch that just never came out until now? Well, it turns out there was a bit of drama behind the scenes:

As many of our fans know, Skullgirls had more than its fair share of difficulties getting to market, but thus far none have been quite this dire: last June, the entire Skullgirls team was laid off from Reverge Labs.

To try to prevent such calamities from befalling us, our games, or our fans again, the Skullgirls team decided to form its own studio.

Autumn Games, the publisher and owner of the Skullgirls property, is fully behind the new studio and will continue to work with us in the future on all Skullgirls-related endeavors, such as the just-released patch, more merchandise and a few other things we can’t quite announce yet.

…However, we are sad to report that these unfortunate circumstances have delayed the resumption of work on the PC version, and indefinitely delayed the first DLC character. Don’t take this as a sign that we’ve given up - we haven’t, and are doing everything in our power and then some to resume work on these as soon as possible. When we have more news, we’ll be sure to let you know.

So there you have it.

I’m still not a fan of this game (I don’t like what Mike Z likes in fighters) , but the Lab Zero folks are quality and have done plenty of good things. I hope someone can fund them to make another game.

They’re a good team in need of a publisher.

Good news for folks waiting on the PC version.

http://skullgirls.com/2013/01/update-on-the-pc-version-of-skullgirls/

Ooh, excellent. Hopefully this means I’ll be able to buy it a third time relatively soon.

If anyone’s up for playing this on 360 or PS3 (preferably PS3, because Slightly Different Edition is there and my Gold card hasn’t arrived in the mail yet), I’m always available. WarpRattler on PS3, WarpWrattler on 360.

There’s also the Evo breast cancer donation drive ending tomorrow. I think Skullgirls is second about $2,000 behind Smash.

This is a very good interview with the animator behind Skullgirls, Mariel Cartwright, from just after Xmas:

The interviewer is John Holmes.

The skullgirls development chat really starts at ~18min.

Enjoy!

If you’re interested in her work, she’s working on a kickstarter game called Cryamore that’s going to be an ARPG (already about 165% funded). Looks promising.

SG did end up 2nd in the Evo donation drive, which is pretty good considering the SG player base is about 1/20th of Smash’s.

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/keep-skullgirls-growing Donation drive for DLC characters with Steam code given. The Steam version of the game will not use GFWL, and has Marvelous as a publisher.

More tidbits: Evo gave Skullgirls a semi-spot at EVO for their performance. Stream time for finals and a $1k pot bonus. After the donation drives, I suspect the fans will be too broke to hit Evo.

Despite my qualms with the gameplay, I gave these guys $30, the same amount I gave Jon, these folks deserve it.

Edit: Skullgirls fans are insane. All the high-end rewards are taken now, in the first hour.

In a little over six hours they’ve raised nearly 100k and revealed three future characters so far. I have to say this is shaping up quite well…I know it’s not realistic, but if this momentum carried on to reach the final stretch goal I would be beyond ecstatic. Skull girls has become one of my favorite fighting games. The characters, artwork, and charm of the game just tickles my fancy.

Anyone on the ps3 interested in some matches? Not the greatest fighting game player, but I’d like to do some matches, get some practice. Maybe get some tips from the better players.

Edit: skull girls fans are still insane. Even after doubling the amount of high end reward tiers they’re gone again.

Can I confirm with someone, does the $30 tier give you a steam code for the full game of skullgirls on pc, or just the dlc characters?

It’s for the full game on steam Tim.

Secure a download code for the forthcoming PC release, get exclusive beta access and DLC forum access!

Zero Labs has achieved their 175k stretch goal in just under a day meaning not only do we get Squigly, but we also get her story as well as a new stage.

They reached their goal in just under a day. Does anyone think that they were successful for actually laying out what the costs were and how the money would be spent? Honestly the fact they made an attempt at explaining why they needed the money made me a lot more interested, unlike other kick starters that just say “We need this much, please give”. Or maybe I just have a weird interests in understanding the financing and costs of each part of the development.

I think they were more successful because they have a really hardcore fighting game following and the developer story is a “little guy succeeding against all odds” type of thing.

I think I may have worded my post poorly. I didn’t mean to attribute their entire success to their financing layout. The game is indeed rock solid. Honestly it’s my favorite 2D fighter thanks to how much work and polish has gone into it.

I’d feel more confident giving money to them because they let us in, and showed us how the money they raise is distributed in the development cycle.

The DLC chars if the money is raised, will be free for everyone for 3 months, then $5 afterwards.

THe $30 tier is Steam game+ beta access. (kinda like what Jon did with ATG)

BTW Squiggly is confirmed now- those crazy nutty Skullgirls fans raised the $175k needed for her+story mode+stage in 24 hours.

The next char is Big Band/Detective Sax (they decided to change in name for Japan in homage to the Japanese fans and SFII)- that needs another 200k.

My opinion is to why the Skullgirls fans are so rabid: it’s a combination of the art, doing everything the community thinks is good practices (button config, GGPO, inputs, other stuff), and the fact that it’s something different. A good portion of the money comes from Japan- where this game is like Blazblue to the western audience. (I think it hit #1 on PSN over there, admittedly that’s less meaningful than the US due to PSN being less popular, but still a big deal)

Finally, to Mini-Cyn: they have how the money is budgeted listed in their indiegogo page to the dollar, what is going for what. You can read it there.