Skyrim Anniversary Edition adds fishing and probably a ton of new bugs

Not sure what you’re playing it on, but if you’re on PC, there’s a mod (via SKSE, I believe, so didn’t work on consoles) that completely overhauls movement and controls in 3rd-person view. There was talk about it on these boards, possibly in this thread, someone earlier this year. I play on Xbox, so I was super envious- it looked amazing. Perhaps someone here remembers what I’m talking about?

That’s it! Thanks. Still envious.

Damn. Might have to try that, now that I’m a convert to Ubi’s third-person combat stuff.

In un-modded Skyrim, the most tactically crunchy of the various play styles is weapon and shield, particularly making use of the Block skill. Skyrim combat IS janky, but weapon and shield does offer more interesting tactical choices and tactical options than other Skyrim combat. So that’s often worth a shot before giving up on vanilla Skyrim combat. YMMV.

I started towards stealth/archer/summoning. It’s fun, for now anyway. The melee is my biggest gripe with the game, though I might play through the start again with mods activated to see it it makes a difference.

I’ll have a look at this. Cheers!

I tend to agree. The challenge is you need some form of ranged combat, both to winnow out the trash and to have something to do while closing on enemies who are invariably above you and who make you go up stairs, etc.

Just got hit by the black screen bug. No matter which save I load, it’s a black screen and a hard crash. A fix is due next week but I guess I should have expected more bugs.

Damn, Myrwatch is a pretty sweet crib for those involved in the arcane arts.

Several reviews complained about a lack of voiced content in the new AE stuff. Well, someone came out with a pretty interesting mod which does text-to-speech with a user-selectable voice system that’s pretty in-depth.
Mod: Fuz Ro Bork Text to Speech (just requires SKSE and SkyUI)

Example:

So… you wish to master the arcane arts?

I had you figured for a mage.

I decided to give SkyUI a try as it seems to be required for some pretty cool mods like the one Dan_Theman lists above. However it makes my game a bit too unstable so I am disabling it until the modding kinks are ironed out.

One thing I noticed is that when I used it on my current Survival Mode playthrough, the warmth value on my clothes no longer appeared. So if you are using SkyUI, are new to Survival Mode, and don’t see a warmth value on your items, just know that it matters. You stand a better change of surviving on a cold night wearing fur armor with a 54 warmth value than you would with the exact same looking fur armor with a 24 warmth value.

I suspect you may need something like this;

Awesome. Thanks!

Welcome!

In other related news, the other author of SSE Engine Fixes has come out with a BETA update for AE which doesn’t require the Address Library mod (although it still prompts for it at download, they verified it’s not needed in the posts). Don’t forget the Part 2 manual install directly into your game folder.

Every time I think I would quite like to poke round Skyrim again I open one of these threads and they’re all first, rewrite your operating system…

Just use vortex. Modding has come a long way. Only a couple need to be manually installed these days.

I remember last time I tried to get into mods, step 1 was to get an account at Nexus mods, and everyone was adamant about that step, and I tried my best but couldn’t get it done. (I think I’d made an account there before and forgotten the password, but my attempts to reset the password were not successful). So I failed at step 1.

I was intimidated by modding and only started when Bethesda made them accessible from the mod tab in the game’s launch menu. Once I got a taste, I experimented with Vortex. The draw of being able to salt my favorite game to my tastes quickly became stronger than my reticence.