Slay the Spire

Thanks for the heads-up on the daily, it was crazy. Won on my second try, despite goofing up in a particularly hilarious way. At about level 41 I chose the event that upgraded all your cards, but you can’t heal anymore. I figured, what the heck, only a few floors to go anyway.

Then at floor 48 I get the event where you can jump into the cave and fully heal, but you lose 16 max HP. Well, I’ve got about 100 HP, and my max is something like 130, so I figured what the heck and jumped in.

Except I’ve totally forgotten that I can’t heal. So what happens? I come out of the cave with one hit point. About to face the Time demon guy.

But I’m so massively overpowered at this point that I beat him anyway! (Note to self, when you have a giant deck, the thing that gives you 1 energy for every 5 cards in your deck is good. Along with a couple of “double energy” cards and the thing that channels one lightning for each energy you have left…)

Really enjoying this. My main issue with deck builders is that I love cards. I love seeing what cards do, I love having different cards with different options.

Unfortunately, this usually leaves me and my deck far too diluted. That is what happened in a run last night when I though I had defeated The Awakened One… way too many cards, not nearly enough block turn by turn.

I just noticed you can actually tell who the boss of a given level is by looking at the icon on the map :O

I am having the craziest run. I started in endless and I’m at the point where my entire deck is 0 cost cards (mostly Claw, which deals +2 damage for each other Claw played) and a few other 0 cost hitters that inflict Vulnerable and Weak. Plus one that hits like a truck and puts… all my 0 cost cards back in my hand from the graveyard. I’ve slowly been removing EVERYTHING else from the deck, and as I have a relic that gives me a card when I play a card, I quickly had an infinite combo where I would play a card, draw a card, play it, draw, play, etc. and eventually just kill anything on the first turn of the game, as I removed more and more non-0 card and gained more energy from relics.

I’m on the 187th floor, my third run through of the Endless run, and it’s getting really hard due to the evil, vile, horrendous relics forced upon you (like, now when I beat a boss I get to choose a horrible reclic I must take), plus relics that enhance enemy health and damage. It’s incredible.

But I’m still trucking along! So far so good! I really want to try the daily out you guys are talking about from last night, but at 2 hours into my Endless run I don’t want to just abandon it!

Won my first game of this last night (with the Ironclad) So great! Can’t stop playing.

I haven’t tried endless yet. Does it need to be unlocked?

I think maybe, by completing a daily. It may also only be in the beta branch (which is where I am - tons of new cards here by the way, new curses too, all have a BETA stamp on them, some are great and some are nasty, just the way I like it).

I honestly highly recommend the beta branch - these guys know what they are doing and it’s fun to get an early look at the process.

Endless is still only in the beta branch.

A good read.

What another great daily run today. You get a relic from every combat so I had so many powers it was just funny.

They really have been knocking it out of the park with the daily climbs. They are pretty consistently bizarre, interesting, and most importantly, fun.

I love I can re-create my favorite daily climb combinations at will, too, and throw in more than 3 modifiers at the same time to boot. So many options, it’s staggering.

I hadn’t played a daily climb in a while since I’ve been banging my head on the ascension levels. Today with the potion cards and the tons of artifacts was pretty crazy. I got my first win on one of these, but my score was pretty low since I took a safe route through the map.

I beat the daily climb today! What fun.

I got this during the sales and after ~15 hours I can beat the standard game consistently with all characters, I’ve beaten the daily each day for 3 days in a row so, other than gimping myself with the various Custom options, there isn’t much left to do. I think I’ll revisit after release, it’s a good game but not as good as FTL in its current state.

Have you turned on the Ascension mode checkbox at the character select screen? It becomes visible after you’ve beat each of the 3 bosses once. That’s where the real meat (and difficulty of the game is). Each time you beat an Ascension game with a character, that character unlocks the next level of Ascension. It gets pretty hard.

Yeah, without Ascension I’d have been done with it a while ago.

You veteran’s of deck-builders might get a chuckle, but I’m a bit embarrassed to admit that today was the first day that I beat a spire with Ironclad. It took me… many, many tries. Then I beat it a second time today. Yay!

Finally have the sense of the card combos and hand-size. First win was with 15 cards, second was with 13. First one was a win with a searing blow card that was ridiculously upgraded after a run of luck. Second win was with a Demonic Form/Rampage/Heavy Blade.

Also completed the unlocks with Irconlad - so I’m excited to move to the second character.

I have a general rule that I don’t buy Early Access games, because I’ve been burned so many times - but I haven’t been this addicted to a game since last summer… when I got hooked on Rimworld. Go figure.

Nice job!