Slay the Spire

Like the Watcher so far, but I haven’t had success against the Heart with it yet. Maybe I need to become more defensive minded with the char, but there aren’t many killer defensive cards.

Spirit Shield and Wallop are her two amazing defence cards.

I think this is what passes for amusement these days.

Thank goodness I didn’t have to go up against Awakened One. That was a lot of powers.

Bullet Time + Snecko Eye might be my favorite combination in the game so far. Mostly for the surprise factor. It’s a combination I hadn’t heard of beforehand.

God I love powers so much. Awakened One makes me so sad :(

I had a really fun deck last play as the Watcher. It was 12 cards, Signature Move+ was the only attack in the whole deck, and it had 3 Pressure Points (two were upgraded). I hadn’t seen Pressure Points really preform in previous decks so decided to see if I could build a whole deck around it, and it certainly over-performs in the right circumstances.

I also had 2 relics that worked best with skills: Art of War, which gives an extra mana if you don’t attack, which was the case most turns, and Letter Opener, which does damage every time you use 3 skills. Every other card was defense focused. Hard to imagine building a more perfect set, but it literally came together halfway through Act 3. I spent Act 1 and 2 barely getting by trying to quickly cycle to my only Pressure Points.

I kind of love that moment of a deck unlocking late. It’s a really satisfying payoff.

Is Pressure Points the only card that uses “mark” ?

Yeah, a deck that struggles for much of the game, then suddenly clicks is great.

I believe so. I don’t remember seeing another.

I worry about Pressure Points. It’s shut down pretty badly by a few of the enemies. Anything with lots of Artifact, plus the few enemies that can remove all negative effects occasionally. I guess having enough of them in the deck overwhelms the defences.

Finally beat The Damned Heart with The Watcher. Went with a really strong defensive deck. The thing that probably put me over the top? The best combo is with the Spoon Relic: cards with Exhaust will discard 50% of the time. This deck has a murderers row of OP cards that exhaust:

Wish+
Deus Ex Machina
Foreign Influence+
Vault+
5x Apparition

Congrats! Rewarding beating that damn heart.

I’ve gone from off-and-on addiction to full-on addiction. I’m trying to do 5 pushups for every monster fight and then stop playing when I can’t do any more. The problem is I get so locked into the game that I forget to do them for a bunch of floors in a row.

I have all my characters to Ascension 10 now I think. There’s a long way to go.

I finally beat A20 with the Watcher. Went flying through to A18 then hit a brick wall that was only broken by really lucky decks. My other characters are back around A6 - A10.

Definitely going to be taking a break for a bit now and trying to deal with my backlog instead.

Popping in a mention from a Slay the Spire vet . . . if you love Slay the Spire you will probably love Pirates Outlaws too. Dedicated thread ahoy . . .

That’s hilarious! :-)

I’m pretty locked in now and I switched to 10 push-ups per battle!

I gave up toward the end of a game last night and decided to finish it off for my first Ascension 11 victory. The grind continues.

I’m getting nervous. Every time I try to play aggressively at these mid-tier ascension levels I end up dying. I don’t know how I’m going to make it through ascension 20 where it seems like you have to play that way. Hopefully my game knowledge will catch up by then.

Discourse is really handy to remember how long it’s taken me to progress in this game: 20 days to go from ascension 10 to ascension 18 with all characters.

I’m pretty nervous about ascension 18. Those new elite movesets seem scary.

Damn, Tim, your progress is pretty inspiring! Esp given how many times you almost broke the grip :)