Slay the Spire

Yeah, I was thinking, wait didn’t he say he wasn’t going to play anymore…? I wish I loved anything as much as TimJames loves Slay the Spire.

I don’t know that I love the game, but overall it’s been a good companion during quarantine time. I’m in a solid rhythm now where I can crank through a couple games per day without feeling like I’ve abandoned the rest of my life.

I haven’t fought the heart at all during this climb because I want to keep things moving. I really enjoy setting up overpowered decks that obliterate the Act 3 boss.

Hmmm.gif

I’m at really like it on the Tom Chick scale.

For example, this morning before work I enjoyed crushing Time Eater with 40 strength. It’s a great way to start the day.

I still play this myself most every day, usually I’ll boot it up while I watch TV. I have it on the Switch, and the new update made it there, so I’ve been playing that version on and off as well, it’s fun to play on the couch over ad breaks (and then after the ads…)

I can’t remember the last time I won a game with Silent without a few Catalysts in my deck. I lost about 5 games in a row with some amazing decks. The most recent one was 2x Nightmare, 3x Apparition+, and 1x Wraith Form+.

I nailed the first Nightmare but never drew it again at the same time as an intangible card. Time Eater put me out of my misery.

My version of being “done” is beating the heart with all 4 types.

But I still play a lot of the daily challenges.

It turned out mine was beating Ascension 20 once. Not played it since then.

I expect I’ll go back at some point when everything in my backlog looks meh.

I almost screwed up my first Ascension 20 win. I was playing Defect with Snecko Eye and bought Orange Pellets, thinking I might find a Biased Cognition to remove the debuff. Of course it removes my Snecko Eye “debuff” too. I had to carefully play only two types of cards each turn. Then on my second end boss fight, I accidentally triggered it anyway.

Fortunately 2x Echo Form carried me to the win.

In any case, Ascension 19 and 20 have been a slog. Slime Boss kills me almost every time now.

I’ve been having serious trouble with Ascension 13+ on all 3 chars (I haven’t done anything with the 4th). At this point in the game’s difficulty curve, you basically have to have a super combo developing by the end of the first stage or you might as well just give up the run. Interestingly, I’ve only ever beaten the Heart (several times) with the Silent.

I’m not having much luck with the Silent so far. Haven’t made it to the second boss yet. Got a couple good shiv or poison decks, but I just can’t deal with the incoming damage.

Silent has four ways to handle that:

a) Some really great block cards - Dexterity is a power that makes even the zero cost Deflect good value. Piercing Wail is one of the best cards in the game for dealing with multi-attack. Malaise can apply a strength reduction permanently!

b) Apply weak. She starts with a weak applying card and one of her best block cards - Leg Sweep - also applies it.

c) Burst damage - Backstab and a few other cards let her just take down threats before they are an issue.

d) Wraith Form. If you didn’t get a good block combination, finding ways to keep Intangible (the ghosts event, multiple copies, Nightmare) can mean you don’t have to worry about block - just deal damage.

I find the Silent the easiest of the characters, but I’m only up to Ascension 9.

I suppose it makes sense that the only card you referenced that I’ve actually had/used is the starting card, Neutralize. If the others have showed up, I must have ended up going with other options.

Dexterity, Leg Sweep and Piercing Wail are all terrific.

Wraith Form is frequently game breaking - it’s like Corruption in power level. Maybe stronger.

Over a week ago, I made a dumb mistake on the second final boss that ruined my first Ascension 20 win with The Watcher. It was a long holiday weekend and I was getting sick of Slay the Spire, so I uninstalled it to see what would happen. I haven’t thought about the game since.

I think I’m done.

I, too, do not think about what I’m posting about.

I briefly considered that contradiction. Then I thought, surely no one’s enough of a dork to point it out.

Well, I hope you learned that lesson. This is the kingdom of dorks. ;)

That just further proves my point.

Checkers and mate, sir.

IOS version coming this month for $9.99.

I’m in. I’ve enjoyed the few games I’ve played of the PC version, but always had higher priorities when I got a block of gaming time, and have wound up putting a lot more time into various mobile knockoffs