Slay the Spire

Oh man, sort of like a “phone a friend” resource! That would be cool. That sounds hard to track though! You’d have to account for every possible deck and every possible combo of card choices. Those situations are probably rare enough that you wouldn’t have many overlaps. But that does sound like a really cool idea.

Ye gods, no. That would be awful. If I wanted a stagnant meta that didn’t require any actual player decisions, I’d play Hearthstone.

Well, it’s a single player game, so if you find that your experience is a stagnant meta there’s only one person to account for… :P

And I’d like it for the opposite reason - I’m the type of masochist who wants to play the cards no one else is playing!

You could also increase scores using decks that use rarely picked cards. Scores are not the most compelling mechanic, but could maybe break that meta for good players looking for a challenge.

That would be a p̶a̶i̶n̶f̶u̶l fun relic - maybe you get four cards to pick from instead of three, but the “best” card of each set of four gets re-drawn (after showing you it of course!)

I am not good at this at all, but I really like it.

@Scotch_Lufkin
As many have said, great video. I also didn’t get what people liked about the game so much until I actually watched you play. It’s now in my cart (I always wait to buy at the end of the sale).

Pro Tip: early on like you are (and even after 80+ hours like me) grab cards you don’t think will work to puzzle them out and have experience with them. Knowing all the cards and how they work is cool and a great way to get better.

Also check out the daily runs. Super crazy relic and card combos come up that can also be educational.

Thanks for the kind words everyone! Garsh!

I believe the game already has functionality for having your cards chosen by a chatroom, so “phone a friend” might be able to be implemented.

To me, this is like the enjoyment of hearthstone but without all the bullshit that comes with mp card games. It’s also got crazy combos and is genuinely difficult to play, so, it’s great. It’s like a really fun solitaire board game.

I must be part of the 5% who doesn’t get this game. The randomness factor is too high for it to be enjoyable for me. I refunded Armello for the same reason. Oh well I tried.

There’s a guy who has above a 75% win rate on ascension 15 with all three characters, which doesn’t really support the theory that the game is particularly random. Particularly by the standards of a rogue-like. Sure, there are a handful of games that even perfect play can’t pull you through, but I’m pretty confident in saying that if you are still within the refund window you aren’t even remotely close to executing perfect play, and are probably attributing your defeats to luck rather than non-optimal decision making.

Not having a chance to win any % of games is unacceptable to some people, though, which I get.

I’m ok with having a game that’s difficult to complete. I’ve got about 150 hours in Dungeon of the Endless, with a successful completion rate of around 50%. This game just seems more binary: Either you get what you need to finish, or you don’t. Anyways I did refund it, that nice new steam feature.

Hey, it’s like picking food off a menu. Everyone likes something different and we’re all happy gamers :)

I’m just noting that if someone is capable of beating the game 75% of the time on the highest difficulty possible, it’s probably less binary than you might assume based on what less than 2 hours of play experience might suggest.

That being said, if you don’t like it, you don’t like it! I refund games all the time on Steam myself. Steam refunds are the new demo :)

I did manage to get to the end with the orb character, using a build that basically just played endless powers and had lots of things happen when those powers were played.

Argg, twice in a row now I lost on ascension level 3 with the final boss very close to death. Ascension level 3 has been my bane. I must have lost 20 times on this difficulty. Still fun though.

I am the same. Been banging my head on it forever (litterally months).

I found the most noticeable difficulty increase of all the ascensions to be the one where you no longer full heal after boss fights. It’s been awhile since I went through them, but I want to say it is Ascension 5? All the other ascensions seem like very minimal difficulty increases (that add up to significant increases as they compound), but that one in particular really does change the dynamics of the entire game a bit cause you just can’t count on a full heal at the end of acts 1 and 2.

Well, that and Ascender’s Bane at 10. Perma-curse is pretty annoying.

Really impressed at how epic some of the battles can be - there is more depth to the battle system here than most RPGs.