Slay the Spire

Oh? The only ones that have drawbacks are usually boss relics, and there’s almost always a choice that has no drawbacks if you don’t like the ones on offer.

I’d say taking Necronomicon or Dead Branch can be the wrong choice depending on your deck, especially if you’re playing Ironclad and need to exhaust powers to reliably get to a few high power cards. Boss relics are probably what he means, though. Picking something like Snecko Eye or Velvet Choker can be a death sentence if you don’t have a plan to work around them.

Mother’effin Qt3 effect. Purchased this given the large number of recommendations here. I feel this is more frustrating than fun or simply the RNG does not like me. Played for 3 hours to unlock a new character. Very first time, very first battle, very first round with that new character and I draw 7 defense cards when the enemy has no intention of attacking. It seems this happens far too often with the game so I will go back to something that does not actively seek to punish me. It is too bad I am past the Steam refund point.

So you had a round that is a pretty extreme statistical anomaly and still didn’t take any damage and that’s a dealbreaker for you? Either you are having a bad day for other reasons, or the entire Roguelike genre is definitely not for you, because that’s an extremely gentle example of bad RNG in a Roguelike. Get 6 hours into a Crawl Stone Soup run and roll 3 miscasts at less than 3% probability in a row to end your run and get back to me about bad RNG in Roguelikes.

As far as getting a hand of blocks and bad RNG is concerned - that is kind of the point of a deckbuilder like this. If your deck started out able to mitigate bad RNG then there wouldn’t be any point to building the deck up to get the right ratios of cards that work.

If you already can’t refund it - maybe give it another shot with that perspective. The whole point is to make a deck that can capitalize on your enemies actions every turn by adding/removing cards. To me, complaining about a bad hand in the first turn of the first fight in Slay the Spire is no different than asking why you can’t one shot the first goblin you fight in an RPG as a level 1 farmhand or whatever.

Some are just not that good. I can certainly see skipping some combinations. Not all give +1 energy relics are worth in every deck.

Anyone have any newb friendly deck building strategies?

Here is a highly rated guide for the Ironclad: Steam Community :: Guide :: Ironclad Win Streak Guide

I’m just starting the game too and just started reading this guide so it may or may not be what you want. Apparently it does contain spoilers, but he also links a spreadsheet that just focuses on the cards without spoilers.

To me the replayability of the game is in figuring the various (and new, to me) strategies.
The dailies can blow those out of propotion: today’s daily, with the open deck for the Silent, led me into an incredibly fun 0 card only deck, powered crazily by the Defect’s reboot.

To be fair it was not just one. I was getting many rounds like that.

I suppose card games are not my thing though if someone wants to challenge me in Cribbage I would be more than happy to play them.

I’d also suggest giving this Three Moves Ahead episode a listen, not just because they gush but because they talk about the RNG and ways to mitigate it (without being too spoilery). Since you are past the refund point, it might be worth listening and see if their perspectives inspire you to go at it again.

Picked up an early Searing Blow (can be upgraded any number of times), and thought, “Hey, let’s see how far I can upgrade this.” Didn’t add anything else to my deck except a Battle Trance (draw three cards, to help cycle) and two Fiend Fires (Exhaust your hand). Also got rid of a few cards, and got the event that transforms all your strikes and defends. Once I got it up to +9 I got the event that lets you duplicate a card; and before the end got it up to +12. 126 damage. I won that run.

That is amazing.

Truly a thing of beauty, brings a tear to my eye.

Started playing this today. Ugh, it doesn’t hardware mouse and so has that laggy graphic mouse. I couldn’t stand it, so I used the controller, which I see is a very recent addition?

Well they need to work on the UI a little more. I don’t know if I’m, er, buttonly challenged or something, but I’ve accidentally hit Y on a chest screen 3 times now, which meant I didn’t get the booty. Once was after killing the first boss >:(

Still: The game’s quite fun. We’ll see if I get as addicted as the rest of you…

edit: Playing with mouse and keyboard right now. Ignoring the fact that the game keeps loosing my mouse cursor (but still requires me to use it) I actually think the controller is best for this game?

Personal preference and all but after ~45 hours of playing with mouse I didn’t like controller. My biggest issues were the cards zooming in far enough to obscure the card next to them, and lack of an easy way to view my relics.

(but for real, I haven’t had any input lag issues so far).

I also have the same problem with the laggy mouse. It was intolerable on my first game, but I changed to full screen and it runs a little better. Still laggy, but less so.

I admire your focus and dedication!