Slightly off topic: Wagner James Au

There was a thread about Peter Molyneux and I was going to comment on that thread about Wagner James Au since he was mentioned, but he deserves his own topic.

I don’t really like gamers. I think you are all mainly slightly overweight pizza eaters, but by comparison to this guy, I really love all of you!(Gamers that is)

I have never really in my life just not liked somebody I have never met. I really hate this guy. He is a judgemental prick (unlike me), and not only does he appear to know next to nothing about gaming, but he openly despises gamers. He does it as a profession though. I on the other hand, just have a self loathing that I mainly don’t share, except perhaps with you fine QT3 folks!

This topic has no point other than to cry about a man I have never met and to encourage others to do the same, or defend him and his vanguard “progressive” gaming ideals. (Make games appealing to women, for the children’s sake!)

I so love ripping people behind the anonymity of the Internet. It makes me feel like a big brute man. flexes

I remember that article about Second Life where some guy built a tower out of giant building blocks, and then toppled it. WJA compared it to 9/11.

Let me see if I understand this… you admit you hate gamers, and hate a guy who hates gamers… Hmm… self-loathing… Oh, that’s right, you hate him because you see yourself in him.

I know this isn’t the political forum so I probably shouldn’t post here because my subtle sense of wit is very out of place.

That was me having a joke with myself, I’m sorry, I should be way more direct next time.

I don’t think that was the problem. Who are you, again?

To make you feel less lonely and therefore, less hateful, oh hermityhermit friend. I shall join you in your hatred of Wagner James Au. We shall hate together.

WAGNER JAMES AU
YOU ARE HATED.

I have a question though.

Who is Wagner James Au?

Hey now, Nobodies can have opinions too :evil:

Arty writer type. He reads this forum, so he’ll probably be along to post something abstruse, but presumably insulting to hermy, any minute now.

I HAVE 264 POSTS I R TEH UBER.

Don’t make me flame you in the games forum nerdo thus CONFIRMING my hatred of gamers!

Also Equis, if you don’t know who he is then you are not a true gamer, its as simple as that. Wise up and fly right, learn about what REAL gamers know about. But as they say in Star Wars, GIVE IN TO YOUR HATE!

I know I shouldn’t respond so much to my own meaningless threads but I am in love with myself, so I will.

And lastly, apologies in advance to The Entity who doesn’t really like me, particularly my low brow usenet style postings, but tolerates me, but like I said I beleive he deserves his own thread because he is a playa hata…

Having met Mr. Au a few times I can state with certainty that I like him better than hermyhermit, whom I have never met, yet have outposted by nearly an order of magnitude.

Most journalists that I’ve met are filled with self-loathing. It’s what makes them lovable.

Wagner James Au sometimes posts here, FWIW. I’m guessing this is a self-deprecating enough flame that no one is going to get too offended (except Jon R of course!).

I’ve had some gripes with his commentary, sure, like his famed review of Black & White where he said:

It may be hard to believe that the future of 21st century art is represented by a giant bipedal tiger who farts, break dances and flings livestock around when he’s bored. But it requires only a few hours of play in the lands of Black & White, the new PC game from Lionhead Studios and lead designer Peter Molyneux, to know that this is exactly the case.

… while a lot of us were suckered by the first couple hours of B&W, most of us didn’t wax quite as pretentious and start talking about the future of online interaction.

Also notable was what OMM called his “Amish among the English” article about E3 booth babes. A topic I agree with him on, more or less, and yet he still managed to get under my skin.

Other than that, I’ve found his writing more or less okay and sometmes interesting.

More importantly, all is saved by him declaring nethack the best game ever. That’s a sentiment I can get behind.

If you have a Salon account, his E3 story referenced above is here: http://dir.salon.com/tech/feature/2001/05/22/e3_2001/index.html?sid=1031364

Although much of his gaming writing has been a bit overpretentious (especially for Salon, which means, well, it fits in) this article is dead. right. on.

You don’t like gamers, but you post here… the grid is descending.

The grid is everywhere around us. We can’t escape it.

WJA is a really nice guy, actually.

I don’t like a lot of his stuff, but he gets a lot of room to breathe from me just because he’s trying something different.

He probably is, but one on one conversations and projected image are 2 different things. Ask John Romero how that dichotomy worked out for him.

HE has Gold in his name! Gold I tells ya!

HE has Gold in his name! Gold I tells ya![/quote]

I love periodic table jokes. Do one about mercury. :D

I HAVE 264 POSTS I R TEH UBER.

Don’t make me flame you in the games forum nerdo thus CONFIRMING my hatred of gamers!

Also Equis, if you don’t know who he is then you are not a true gamer, its as simple as that. Wise up and fly right, learn about what REAL gamers know about. But as they say in Star Wars, GIVE IN TO YOUR HATE!

I know I shouldn’t respond so much to my own meaningless threads but I am in love with myself, so I will.

And lastly, apologies in advance to The Entity who doesn’t really like me, particularly my low brow usenet style postings, but tolerates me, but like I said I beleive he deserves his own thread because he is a playa hata…[/quote]
Be honest, what drugs were you taking when you posted this? :P