Slitherine Announces Gladius - Relics of War

Actually, I was just making a joke about their name. I have no opinion on their quality as developers. Sorry for being mean, I guess that wasn’t at all obvious.

I played a bunch of it recently and didn’t find it messy at all. Shrug

I got Sanctus Reach, by the same developers, and initial impressions are favourable. No high production values, but the core gameplay loop (of move a SpaceWolf, shoot an orc,) so far is fun.

I remember impressions were favourable about Pandora as well, but I think only numbers-crunching robots were reporting about the game, because none of them seemed to care about the terrible writing and setting. Maybe if they can’t mess up that aspect because of the license’s limitations, Proxy got a potentially good game in here?

Pandora’s pretty good. The dude is a little weird, yeah, and I’ve gotten into it with him on the steam boards a little bit - pretty sure I went off about the whole thing on the Pandora thread here.

The writing and setting are…fine? It’s an overwritten amateurish riff on Alpha Centauri, with none of the philosophical weight or charm of the source material. But does it stop me from building my space empire? No, no it does not.

For those interested, Slitherine is now taking applications for the closed beta. I’ve done enough testing for them over the years that I’m confident I’ll get into this one as well.

So, I see this is now up for pre-order on GOG so it must be coming out pretty soon.

In the first 4X turn-based strategy game set in Warhammer 40,000 you will lead one of four factions: Astra Militarum, Space Marines, Orks and Necrons, each with their own unique gameplay, technological tree, units and heroes.

It’s being billed as the first Warhammer 40K 4X, which I would think would generate some interest here. But apparently not? Is that basically just because the developers suck?

Dammit, every time this thread gets bumped I get my hopes up for a sequel to the LucasArts Gladius.

Dang, seeing the topic, I immediately got the same response as malkav11 [edit: and as Thraeg].

What a terrible name to give to a 4X Warhammer game.

Do they suck though?

I mean these are the guys that made Pandora right, which wasn’t a bad game was it?

My disinterest is due to lack of available time and one unit per tile.

I have no idea at all. It just seems strange that there’s been no info or discussion at all about a new 4X game that’s about to drop, especially one that’s Warhammer 40K.

Over at Xplorminate there’s been plenty of discussion…

Plus I imagine E3 sucked all the oxygen for the main outlets.

At this point there are dozens of 40K games out or in development and it’s really hard to tell which are going to be any good.

I’ve been looking at an eXplorminate YouTube let’s play of the game and the guy said it reminds him of the Warlock 4X in a good way. After watching the let’s play I’d have to say I agree with that. It really feels like a Warhammer 40K version of Warlock. It actually looks pretty good to me but I do think they’ve over priced it.

I can’t imagine Slitherine, Pandor Devs, or Warhammer really getting compared to Warlock. This has certainly piqued my interest in the game.

As a beta tester I’m still under the NDA, but I have some strong opinions about it I’ll be happy to share on release.

AstartesGaming has a five part Youtube series on it that I’m about to start watching. Not sure why they can post all that stuff but testers are still under NDA?

It’s pretty common these days to give exclusive access to show off something to popular streamers from the community.

Yeah, Exploriminate also has a preview series from a few months ago. Here’s the first one:

This is where I’m at, I like the look but not sure about the price/longevity of my interest. I will gladly pay the $40 for it if it ends up great, though.